Home Cigar 101

My Nub Cameroons are cracking up.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Love the flavor of these but, This is the second one I've had in a few days and both wrappers split right up the middle after I smoked about a half inch. The band is the only thing keeping this one from splitting all the way up to the head. Looks like I might only get to smoke half of it. The weatherman says it's 52%RH outside. WTH? And this one is canoeing like crazy? Anybody had any problems like this out of these?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Do you even Cameroon bro?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every chance I get.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Actually this is pretty normal for Cameroon wrapped cigars. The Cameroon wrapper is pretty thin and doesn't have much elasticity unlike Habanos, Maduros and the like. Upon exposure to a drier environment and the flame, the inside will swell up, while the outside will swell until it reaches the wrapper's elastic limits and then it splits.

In short, maybe drybox a bit, or keep your cameroons at a lower RH%.
    allsmokedup:
    Actually this is pretty normal for Cameroon wrapped cigars. The Cameroon wrapper is pretty thin and doesn't have much elasticity unlike Habanos, Maduros and the like. Upon exposure to a drier environment and the flame, the inside will swell up, while the outside will swell until it reaches the wrapper's elastic limits and then it splits.

Well that sucks. Just when I develop a stonger liking for cameroons. LOL
    allsmokedup:

Well that sucks. Just when I develop a stonger liking for cameroons. LOL
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    How long have you had them? My Habano Nubs had serious issues ROTT but they were a perfect smoke after 10 months or so in the humi.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quit telling them jokes and they won't crack up?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience:
    Quit telling them jokes and they won't crack up?
    Well, SOMEBODY knows how to pick corn that's hanging low on the stalk ;)
    PAtoNH:
    How long have you had them? My Habano Nubs had serious issues ROTT but they were a perfect smoke after 10 months or so in the humi.
    I've had these almost three months.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Mine split and even unraveled at that age. They were the double perfecto shape that have been discontinued (I think)… never see them any more. I just looked up my order history… I bought a six pack in November of 2012 and the first 3 or 4 were very frustrating with a lot of wrapper problems and burn issues. I gave up on them until late this fall and then smoked one on a cold day thinking that if I was too cold I could dump and it'd be no great loss. It was, of course, a GREAT smoke, as was the last of the 6-pack.

Maybe something as simple as a little age might help??

I think mine was a ten pack. I'm glad I heard all this before I bought a box. I was seriously gonna get a box of Nub cameroons but I don't want to be REQUIRED to age them. You'd think that they would NOT blow up on you at two months.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, other cameroons I've had have not cracked like that. I did have a nub cameroon, but I don't remember how it smoked... Maybe it has something to do with the combo of a fragile wrapper and lots of filler. As it heats up, more filler causes more expansion or moisture, and it takes a toll on the delicate wrapper. I'm bs'ing here. All i know is, all the fuente's I've had smoke like champs everytime.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Simple solution. Smoke lanceros instead of Nubs. Problem solved. You're welcome.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    SleevePlz:
    Simple solution. Smoke lanceros instead of Nubs. Problem solved. You're welcome.
    Thanks Tony. I have been trying some lances and other smaller ring gauges but can't say I'm a big fan. But I plan on trying plenty more to make sure. I'm not a big ring ho either. But, If I had to choose a ring gauge right this moment to have and to smoke for the rest of my life I think I'd go with 50.
    Gray4lines:
    Hmm, other cameroons I've had have not cracked like that. I did have a nub cameroon, but I don't remember how it smoked... Maybe it has something to do with the combo of a fragile wrapper and lots of filler. As it heats up, more filler causes more expansion or moisture, and it takes a toll on the delicate wrapper. I'm bs'ing here. All i know is, all the fuente's I've had smoke like champs everytime.
    Neither have I noticed cameroon problems specifically. I followed it up with an Oliva G and the wrapper was fine and the whole thing was tasty. I'll try dry boxing the rest of my Nub cam ten pack but if that doesn't help I'll just let 'em rest and hope they improve.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:
    Neither have I noticed cameroon problems specifically. I followed it up with an Oliva G and the wrapper was fine and the whole thing was tasty. I'll try dry boxing the rest of my Nub cam ten pack but if that doesn't help I'll just let 'em rest and hope they improve.
    Sometimes it helps if I acclimate a cigar to the smoking environment for a while before smoking it. Not really sure if this has any scientific backing, but I seem to have less issues when I do this.
    ddubridge:
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:
    Sometimes it helps if I acclimate a cigar to the smoking environment for a while before smoking it. Not really sure if this has any scientific backing, but I seem to have less issues when I do this.
    I have heard of this and I've done it a few times but usually not on purpose. LOL I have my doubts about this practice having any positive effect in wintertime (low RH outdoor conditions) if only based on my own logic. If I were to set a cigar out on the deck (at 50%RH or lower outside) and allow it to acclimate for 30 minutes, wouldn't that simply dry out the wrapper and allow the interior of the cigar to retain moisture? Then upon lighting and smoking it would be a problem by having an expansion or swelling of the filler while the wrapper would be drier than the filler. I dunno. I may be figuring this all wrong. Feel free to weigh in.
    Bob Luken:
    I have heard of this and I've done it a few times but usually not on purpose. LOL I have my doubts about this practice having any positive effect in wintertime (low RH outdoor conditions) if only based on my own logic. If I were to set a cigar out on the deck (at 50%RH or lower outside) and allow it to acclimate for 30 minutes, wouldn't that simply dry out the wrapper and allow the interior of the cigar to retain moisture? Then upon lighting and smoking it would be a problem by having an expansion or swelling of the filler while the wrapper would be drier than the filler. I dunno. I may be figuring this all wrong. Feel free to weigh in.
    If I take a cameroon from inside to outside, it will crack more often than not.
    If I let it sit out where I'm gonna smoke, it rarely cracks.
    Why this is, I have no idea, but it works for me.
    And anything I can do to keep my precious cameroons from having problems, I'm all for it. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    Allsmokedup, Thank you for your input about Cameroons. I had the same thing happen when I tried the " NUB". So don't get them anymore
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Opatience beat me to my punchline, so, all I can add is that I agree about Camaroons being delicate. Look at the Hemingways, they'll usually hold together, but there's always all kinds of pectin spots all over them. Still love them, though.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Thanks for all the input. I've been smoking a few Cameroons over the past week and I've taken note of each one's performance. They have been smoked outside where the RH is 15 to 20 points lower than my humidor. The two oldest ones were flawless. An Oliva G figurado and a Black Pearl Morado both with at least 8 months rest. The two Nub Cams split. And one Oliva G toro expanded and had a slight restriction in draw and cracked the wrapper after I smoked it down to the two inch mark. Next I'll try acclimating a Nub Cam or an Oliva G to the smoking environment to see if they'll do better. I'll also try dry-boxing a Nub Cam and an Oliva G toro to see if that helps.
    To add to what Amos said, I've noticed that there are those that are susceptible;
    Torano 1916s
    Nubs
    Upmann Vintage Cameroon
    Oliva G
    Don Tomas cameroon
    RP cameroon [vintage]/summer collection

and some less susceptible;
    Hemingways
    Partagas
    CAO

I didn't include the Torano Salutem in the list, because while it has cameroon in it, it isn't the wrapper.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must know some really good jokes....can't wait for the Herf.
    ? ? ? Oh, you mean Amos. Right?
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Thanks for all the input. I've been smoking a few Cameroons over the past week and I've taken note of each one's performance. They have been smoked outside where the RH is 15 to 20 points lower than my humidor. The two oldest ones were flawless. An Oliva G figurado and a Black Pearl Morado both with at least 8 months rest. The two Nub Cams split. And one Oliva G toro expanded and had a slight restriction in draw and cracked the wrapper after I smoked it down to the two inch mark. Next I'll try acclimating a Nub Cam or an Oliva G to the smoking environment to see if they'll do better. I'll also try dry-boxing a Nub Cam and an Oliva G toro to see if that helps.
    well i kept some for over 3yrs and they never cracked when smoked, so i disagree with this being common, but i kept them at rh of 70-74%.
    did they crack when you cut them? i'm guessing that they where a bit dry, thats when i see cigars cracking, and i get some from time to time. just my opinion.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I havent had the one you sent me yet... but the first one i had split too... not bad though maybe about a constant half inch from the burn line.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    Bob Luken:
    well i kept some for over 3yrs and they never cracked when smoked, so i disagree with this being common, but i kept them at rh of 70-74%.
    did they crack when you cut them? i'm guessing that they where a bit dry, thats when i see cigars cracking, and i get some from time to time. just my opinion.
    No they don't crack where I cut them. I keep all my sticks between 64 to 67. Some do OK and some split.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a few problems with splitting wrappers this winter with the fragile ones. And each time I didn't let them set for a bit first. One thing I have started doing is taking a strip of paper and a piece of scotch tape and making a band out of it that I can just slide up the cigar as I smoke it. It looks like crap but it has saved me 2 cigars so far that tried to split on me.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a crapload of that last Winter, smoking in the garage while hobbying around. This winter is way too cold to wrench out there. Been smoking inside by the fire. Zero splits. Maybe the answer is to smoke inside.

No worries ... Spring is only about 50 days away.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I had a crapload of that last Winter, smoking in the garage while hobbying around. This winter is way too cold to wrench out there. Been smoking inside by the fire. Zero splits. Maybe the answer is to smoke inside.

No worries ... Spring is only about 50 days away.

This works for me, most of the time.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain