Home Ratings & Reviews

Cohiba XV

I have purchased several sampler packages and have had the privilege of smoking several Cohiba XV cigars. These sticks are wonderful. Full bodied, loads of satisfying smoke and are consistently even burning with very little canoeing. Not for the novice smoker, or those who prefer mild cigars, (my uncle thought it was much too strong) but for those who prefer a sumatra wrapper and a little stronger, peppery taste, these sticks are the way to go. They will definitely become a staple in my humidor.

Comments

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I like the XV but I love the Dominicana.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a xv and will never have another!! It had such a twang too it it sent a chill down my jaw! Couldn't get through half of it
    Money can't buy taste
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I had a xv and will never have another!! It had such a twang too it it sent a chill down my jaw! Couldn't get through half of it
    What do you mean "a Twang" ? I have one that I am waiting with anticipation to smoke, and now I have this voice of doubt in my head.. Until now I had only heard good things about the XV.
    kaspera79:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    What do you mean "a Twang" ? I have one that I am waiting with anticipation to smoke, and now I have this voice of doubt in my head.. Until now I had only heard good things about the XV.
    it was like biting into a piece of tin foil! It was a pretty old one though so who knows...I just wouldn't have too high of hope for it
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kaspera79:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    it was like biting into a piece of tin foil! It was a pretty old one though so who knows...I just wouldn't have too high of hope for it
    Oh No !!! That's the worst thing I could imagine. Well, I'll still give it a shot and see what happens.
    kaspera79:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kaspera79:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Oh No !!! That's the worst thing I could imagine. Well, I'll still give it a shot and see what happens.
    i hope you enjoy it since taste really differs a lot but yeah after that I was a tad wounded
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kaspera79:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    kaspera79:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    i hope you enjoy it since taste really differs a lot but yeah after that I was a tad wounded
    I'll keep an Ashton ESG close by, in case I need an emergency rescue.
  • Like I said, not for the novice smoker, or one who prefers a Connecticut wrapper, but if you prefer a sumatra, you're in for a pleasant surprise.
    dwikoff:
    Like I said, not for the novice smoker, or one who prefers a Connecticut wrapper, but if you prefer a maduro, you're in for a pleasant surprise.
    first let me inform you that the cc is a Sumatra wrapper and not maduro! Second I'm a huge maduro fan so yeah...third well I can only laugh at this comment really you should get your facts straight before you try too slam a person for not liking something you do!
    Money can't buy taste
  • dwikoffdwikoff Posts: 14
    Not slamming anyone. Whatever you like is fine with me. Sorry about the maduro comment, so silly of me not to have my facts right. I've only been smoking cigars for about 4 months, so I don't profess to be an aficionado (just a wannabe). I can't discern hints of coffee, fruit, nuts, etc. as a matter of fact, all I can truthfully taste are pepper, spice and leather (plus a good amount of ammonia when inhaled through the nose.) But I do thoroughly enjoy a good cigar and would encourage you to smoke whatever winds your clock.
    dwikoff:
    Not slamming anyone. Whatever you like is fine with me. Sorry about the maduro comment, so silly of me not to have my facts right. I've only been smoking cigars for about 4 months, so I don't profess to be an aficionado (just a wannabe). I can't discern hints of coffee, fruit, nuts, etc. as a matter of fact, all I can truthfully taste are pepper, spice and leather (plus a good amount of ammonia when inhaled through the nose.) But I do thoroughly enjoy a good cigar and would encourage you to smoke whatever winds your clock.
    all good man sorry too come off strong. This is why we are all here! You will never stop learning and companies will never stop blending new cigars. I hope you stick around and learn new things that will help you apreciate this great obsession! A great place too start is kuzis improving your pallet thread! This will help you out majorly as you find what you are looking for in a cigar
    Money can't buy taste
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    The XV is not everyone cup of tea, i like them but then again i smoke alot of full body cigars, so i can deal with strong flavors actually welcome it, the XV is strong, if your a novice smoker it can sit you down, if your not a full body smoker and i mean full body, this cigar will make you get the sour face look,
    but that is what it all about trying cigars, find what you like, find what you dont, i tried alot this past yr. and i am the point i only smoke what i like now.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I've seen this cigar referred to as metallic. I think I get why. I believe this uses a higher priming Sumatra. I get that metallic flavor when I smoked a few which I have tasted before with the high priming Sumatra stuff. Just my opinion though... I love me a good Sumatra but not when it is too strong and I like a stronger cigar. I just think the higher primings loose a lot of what a good Sumatra is known for.
    rwheelwright:
    I've seen this cigar referred to as metallic. I think I get why. I believe this uses a higher priming Sumatra. I get that metallic flavor when I smoked a few which I have tasted before with the high priming Sumatra stuff. Just my opinion though... I love me a good Sumatra but not when it is too strong and I like a stronger cigar. I just think the higher primings loose a lot of what a good Sumatra is known for.
    +1!! I love heavy strong cigars...I've smoked lfd dl's first thing in the morning. But I can get past that metallic taste!
    Money can't buy taste