Home Pipes

Jar Size Help

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
Fluid oz versus tobacco oz is different in regards to what size jars. What size jar for 4 tobacco oz? What size jar for 8 and 16 oz of tobacco? I plan to get ball jars. Using loose and flake tobacco.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This can get tricky... different brands (and blends) will come with different moisture contents, and this will change how much actual tobacco you receive (along with water weight). In my experience, a standard mason jar (8 oz?) Will hold 2 oz of fairly dry tobacco... if you get a heavily cased aromatic, you could maybe fit 4 oz in a single jar.

Just buy a couple cases of mason jars, standard size. The "wide mouth" jars are nice too. This should cover most tobacco purchases. You can also buy smaller 2 oz wide mouth jars... these hold 1-2 oz of moist tobacco. Good for little baggie samples or really wet aromatics.

I have only needed large bail top jars with the silicon gaskets when buying 8+ oz of tobacco.you could buy one or two of these, depending on how big your bulk purchase it. I prefer to break up large quantities into majon jars anyway so I can smoke out of one and age 2 - 3 more.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    This can get tricky... different brands (and blends) will come with different moisture contents, and this will change how much actual tobacco you receive (along with water weight). In my experience, a standard mason jar (8 oz?) Will hold 2 oz of fairly dry tobacco... if you get a heavily cased aromatic, you could maybe fit 4 oz in a single jar.

Just buy a couple cases of mason jars, standard size. The "wide mouth" jars are nice too. This should cover most tobacco purchases. You can also buy smaller 2 oz wide mouth jars... these hold 1-2 oz of moist tobacco. Good for little baggie samples or really wet aromatics.

I have only needed large bail top jars with the silicon gaskets when buying 8+ oz of tobacco.you could buy one or two of these, depending on how big your bulk purchase it. I prefer to break up large quantities into majon jars anyway so I can smoke out of one and age 2 - 3 more.
    I did manage to find some calulations. 1 quart jar= 8 oz tobacco, 1 pint jar= 4 oz tobacco I too thought it would be nicer to have more smaller jars. Now I can finally use the can storage room in the basement. For tobacco that is! I found what are called elite ball jars; largemouth; and they look very nice.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Yes, the 32 oz. jar will usually hold 8 oz. of tobacco. There are some exceptions a fine shag cut might not all fit without pushing it down so much that it would not be beneficial for aging. Some of the flakes and cakes and plugs will hold a lot more. Like C&D's Night Train, I can get closer to 5 oz. in an 8 oz. jar. So you will just have to do some trial and error at it. I personally really like the 4 oz. jelly jars, they will hold a few bowls and that lets me keep a larger rotation. Smaller will work if you have the room and a little extra coin.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Man I need some jars... I have several 4 oz blends I made that need a home. I have too much in bags right now as well. Anyone have a good lead? I may hit teh 99cent store first, then go look for deals.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Ball canning jars at Walmart. Cheap, various sizes, effective.
    mgk2020:
    Ball canning jars at Walmart. Cheap, various sizes, effective.
    Really.... I get my dog's insulin there, I'll check next time I'm there. Normally I steer clear of that place.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    How long will a tin or pouch last once open? should I move to jars right away or is the package there in good enough for a few weeks to months?

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:
    How long will a tin or pouch last once open? should I move to jars right away or is the package there in good enough for a few weeks to months?

Aj
    a tin lasts forever I thought... I mean, I have tins that are 6 months old or so. I would think their seal is fine, while I put pouches in a sealed bag.
    Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know!

Aj
    Yes, tins last forever until the seal is broken. Some tins, however, can rust. You should look them over at least a couple of times a year. If you see rust don't take the chance move it to jars. Once the seal is broken on a tin I can tell that the tobacco is not what it was after about 1 month but it is still smokable for a while after that. How long? I really don't know they rarely last that long.
    One element that we have not addressed with storing/aging is that temp is very important. Just like cigars need proper temp ranges, pipe tobacco needs some attention here too. The best information I have found is from G.L. Pease, who makes a very good argument that anything over 80 degrees will result in a poor aging environment.
    J.S.:
    Yes, tins last forever until the seal is broken. Some tins, however, can rust. You should look them over at least a couple of times a year. If you see rust don't take the chance move it to jars. Once the seal is broken on a tin I can tell that the tobacco is not what it was after about 1 month but it is still smokable for a while after that. How long? I really don't know they rarely last that long.
    So you move your tins to jars after opening? Curious, because I have a bunch of tins that have been opened for 6 months lol. I figured they would be just fine in there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Depending on your relative humidity, they may be ok. On that note, general rule of thumb with tins is if you aren't going to smoke them up right away, it’s a good idea to jar them up.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    J.S.:
    So you move your tins to jars after opening? Curious, because I have a bunch of tins that have been opened for 6 months lol. I figured they would be just fine in there.
    They will slowly dry out... The "screw on" large round tins will be alright for years. Plastic "snap on" lids maybe 6-8 mo. Really depends on where you store em. I've had a few open for a year and they are still ok. I actually prefer tobacco a little dryer than what comes in most tins, so I like to pop em and smoke out of it for a while.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    J.S.:
    They will slowly dry out... The "screw on" large round tins will be alright for years. Plastic "snap on" lids maybe 6-8 mo. Really depends on where you store em. I've had a few open for a year and they are still ok. I actually prefer tobacco a little dryer than what comes in most tins, so I like to pop em and smoke out of it for a while.
    Yeah I was actually thinking some were a bit dry last time I smoked them, but they smoked better IMO. Guess I need to head to Walmart and get some jars ASAP lol.
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    J.S.:
    Thanks for the tip!

Aj
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    photo 20130719_100829.jpg
    I like these jars. Not glass and you can get them at Walmart in different sizes.
    photo ff883630-cb49-4cef-afb7-67bfe3746970.jpg
    You can also glue some humidification stones to the top if you want to maintain humidity levels.