Home Non Cigar Related

Man invents machine to convert plastic to oil

Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
A Japanese man has invented a machine that converts plastic to oil that can be burned as it is or can be further processed into gasoline, diesel, and kerosene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGabrorRS8

Comments

• Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Sorry if i knew how to make it show the video instead of the link then i'd do it.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Thanatos0320's link

check out this forum thread Thanatos... how to format your post
    helps a lot

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Rain:
    HAA .. crap I posted the "link" instead of the "Video" D'OH lol
    maybe "(I) need to re-read the "how to" :P

• flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    I thought plastic was made from oil!!
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    ^ this
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    flowbee:
    I thought plastic was made from oil!!
    He also says this in the vid, but I don't get it. Refining oil produces a lot of different compounds (like gasoline, kerosine, propane, butane, and other distillates for plastics...) So how does melting down plastic make more of these things?? They were already separated out in the refining process.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plastic is made from oil, but low temperature thermal cracking in a vacuum can convert plastics into "crude oil". Which the crude oil can then be refined into gasoline, diesel, kerosene and solvents.
    But understand that it takes quite a bit of plastic (some have stated up to 5 lbs) to generate 1-2 pint of crude oil. While that doesn't sound like much, if you figure the thousands of tons of plastics in landfills, it is pretty significant.

This isn't new science though. But with newer technology coming out, it is getting easier to produce the crude oil from plastic.

Sorry, if I got long winded.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    No apology necessary, I had no idea that was possible... its a real shame we aren't sing this to recycle at least a little bit.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    RedRex06:
    No apology necessary, I had no idea that was possible... its a real shame we aren't sing this to recycle at least a little bit.
    Agreed. We should be funding this. It would help so much with getting rid of crap in landfills