Home Cigar 101

Dry Boxing?

rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
I saw a cigar listed on the site where they recommended dry boxing. I have seen the term on some of the threads, but it seems to go against everything revolving around humidity. Was wondering what the purpose of this is, and what characteristics would make a cigar need to be dry boxed? Thanks

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's supposed to improve the burn of a cigar that would otherwise burn like wet newspaper. They're not stored that way for very long so it's not bad for the cigar. Lots of good reading on other threads on this subject too.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/109333.aspx
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. May have to give it a try. I have a 20 count humi that won't hold an RH to save its life. May run some experiments
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    rsherman24:
    Thanks guys. May have to give it a try. I have a 20 count humi that won't hold an RH to save its life. May run some experiments
    You might be better off just getting your cigars in a stable environment....that's what makes them smoke better and have a better taste profile. Drybox is just something people do to try and short cut the cigar to where it doesn't have the RH it did before...meaning it's too high. If you have a humidor that won't hold a stable RH...buy tupperware and put your cigars in there while you find out what issue your other humidor has....do a light test or dollar bill test and go from there.
    Cigary:
    rsherman24:
    You might be better off just getting your cigars in a stable environment....that's what makes them smoke better and have a better taste profile. Drybox is just something people do to try and short cut the cigar to where it doesn't have the RH it did before...meaning it's too high. If you have a humidor that won't hold a stable RH...buy tupperware and put your cigars in there while you find out what issue your other humidor has....do a light test or dollar bill test and go from there.
    I have stable humidors where I store all of my cigars, but I have one sitting on my shelf that I don't use because it does not hold RH. I was just curious since the retailer recommended dryboxing the cigars as a general rule before smoking. Thanks
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Don't get me wrong...dryboxing is an alternative but seldom really fixes the real problem. Kinda like putting frozen lasagna in the oven or microwaving it...both work but one method tastes better.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the only cigars I dry box are Gurkhas. ( I know I know. But I like Gurkha) but I do it to all of them for a day before I smoke one. But I just use an empty cigar box that's made like a humidor. It does make a big difference with those( don't ask me why)
    May have to try that. I have a handful of Gurkhas sitting in my drunk/non-cigar-smoking friends tray that I may experiment with. Or now that I know someone likes them, PM me your addy and I will ship them out to a good home. I did buy a 10 pack of the Ancient Warrior that I want to let age. I found one of the old sticks with the yellow label sitting in the bottom of a humi with a year or so on it. Didn't even know it was a Gurkha and really enjoyed it.