Home Non Cigar Related

Southerners and Snow

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
We don't mix. You guys in the north can have it. Luckily I was able to work from home today, but commuting from Atlanta today, which is typically 1-1.5 hrs from my general vacinity, is taking people anywhere from 5-10hrs. Lots of stranded motorists and multiple schools where the kids are having to spend the night in schools because there is no safe way to get home.

Pics

Comments

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    We don't mix. You guys in the north can have it. Luckily I was able to work from home today, but commuting from Atlanta today, which is typically 1-1.5 hrs from my general vacinity, is taking people anywhere from 5-10hrs. Lots of stranded motorists and multiple schools where the kids are having to spend the night in schools because there is no safe way to get home.

Pics
    Where's the snow??? All I see is a dusting!

We used to live in Durham, NC and one year we got 22 inches of heavy wet snow overnight. Whole city shut down for two weeks. Being transplanted Yankees, we were the only people on our block that owned a snow shovel, so we went up and down the street clearing driveways and sidewalks. The town's only two plow/salt trucks waited till the precipitation stopped, then proceeded to get stuck in the snow.

Southerners and snow... LOL
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I was watching the news this morning and laughing my a** off at the pictures. I wouldn't even put boots on my kids for that, and there were people stranded and sleeping in schools and shelters.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Man that's insane for such a small amount of snow!! I guess if your not use to it this happens
    Money can't buy taste
  • dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    It's pretty bad here in Louisiana this morning. I went outside and could have literally ice skated down the sidewalk/street.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pross:
    I was watching the news this morning and laughing my a** off at the pictures. I wouldn't even put boots on my kids for that, and there were people stranded and sleeping in schools and shelters.

Between 7th & 8th grades, we moved from Alaska to Kentucky. One day, it snowed, a little. I looked at it, swept the walk, decided to go with regular shoes instead of boots, walked to school.

No one anywhere.

I thought I was in the twilight zone.

Walked home, Mom says "oh, I found out there was no school today after you left"

"Why", I asked, "did someone die?"

"No, for the snow."

WHAT? Incredible
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn.....that's bad.
    Lucky you got to stay at home, bbass

I guess the DOTs down there don't have the right equipment and salt supply to deal with the snow & ice like we do here "up north".
    And I thought the drivers up here were terrible when it snows, that's unreal!!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Man that's insane for such a small amount of snow!! I guess if your not use to it this happens
    It's not really the amount that freaks us out, it's the fact that people who live here understand that we don't have snow on the ground for very long before it turns to ice. It's the ice under the snow that really causes all the issues. Not to mention that all our weather men are freaking useless...they forecasted most of the snow to be south GA...which is where all 5 of our snow plows went...which also means school wasn't canceled...so as soon as the snow started to fall in the city, everyone hit the road at the sametime. What pisses me off is that this samething happened to ATL back in 2011...and apparently no lessons were learned...except by me...I left work well before the snow came down and made it home with my two little ones...thank God.

"Long ashes my friends."

• dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    jgibv:
    Damn.....that's bad.
    Lucky you got to stay at home, bbass

I guess the DOTs down there don't have the right equipment and salt supply to deal with the snow & ice like we do here "up north".
    And I thought the drivers up here were terrible when it snows, that's unreal!!

We do not have all of the appropriate equipment down here to handle it. You are correct. Considering it only happens once or twice every 5 years or so, its better to just cancel a couple days of school than invest millions of dollars of tax payer money into equipment we will rarely use.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    It's not really the amount that freaks us out, it's the fact that people who live here understand that we don't have snow on the ground for very long before it turns to ice. It's the ice under the snow that really causes all the issues. Not to mention that all our weather men are freaking useless...they forecasted most of the snow to be south GA...which is where all 5 of our snow plows went...which also means school wasn't canceled...so as soon as the snow started to fall in the city, everyone hit the road at the sametime. What pisses me off is that this samething happened to ATL back in 2011...and apparently no lessons were learned...except by me...I left work well before the snow came down and made it home with my two little ones...thank God.
    I've seen it in Nashville at least a half-dozen times, maybe more through the years. You're right about the ice, and very very few of your neighbors will ever learn how to cope with it. I guess it's gone too soon for that.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    In addition to what others said another issue is that generally when it snows here it doesn't freeze on the roads until overnight, but due to the temps around here lately the snow started accumulating on the roads soon after it started falling.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Yep, although we were supposed to get only flurries, this was this morning after the wind blowing it off all night.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my third winter down here and it's the first time I've had to shovel snow! We got about 5 inches, which closed my college for today and maybe tomorrow. Last week we closed for a day and a half with one inch of snow.

I heard about the store shelves being empty, but I thought they were just jerking a Yankee around. I went Monday night, the storm was Tuesday night, and the bread, milk and egg sections were empty! It looked like the locusts came through.

Thankfully, I didn't need any of that stuff, but it was funny to see.

Krieg:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    hhhhmmmmm well up here I think Saturday will be the first time the temp get over the freezing point. It's been in the low too mid 20's and wind chills below 0. I do understand people don't know how too drive...even up here! I think most peoples problems are they all have rear wheel drive vehicles...yup no go in snow
    Money can't buy taste
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Southerners need snowplows about as much as New Yorkers needs tornado shelters.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got done snow blowin and I can say with confidence... I hate snow!!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Just got done snow blowin and I can say with confidence... I hate snow!!
    Snow blower!!! Bring it over to my place.
    I'm not that fancy, just got a simple shovel --- had so much snow this past weekend I was having to fill up the wheelbarrow and dump it in the middle of the yard, LOL.

About to buy myself one of these little R/C guys, how cool would that be?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

MorganGeo:
    Southerners need snowplows about as much as New Yorkers needs tornado shelters.
    yeah but it does happens once in a while and I'd rather be prepared!! Even if I moved down south I'd take my snowblower and shovel with me
    Money can't buy taste
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    My daughter wants snow. My wife wants snow, mostly for our daughter, but also because she likes the idea of cuddling up on a cold day (like that ever happened for me-I had to get out in it and drive with the idiots back home).

Today she woke up and said she changed her mind. Snow means cold, and she doesn't like the cold; that's one reason we moved South.

She'll change her mind again tomorrow.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I like one good storm per year, then the novelty wears off. Somebody said it earlier about not having the equipment, and that is true. I heard a news report that Cumberland County has 5 plow trucks and 2 of them are slated for I95 so that leaves 3 for the rest of the roads. Pitt county has 3 plows and so on for most of the counties besides Wake County(Raleigh).