Home Non Cigar Related

Crap ass day...

Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
I need to vent

I got a phone call on my cell phone today and the number was from Millington Tenn...when you're in the navy and you see that number, it's never good. It was my detailer, the guy in charge of where jet mechanic senior chiefs go... After waiting for shore duty for 7 years and 3 back to back deployments he had to cut my 3 year shore tour short by 18 months and i'm getting force deployed back on sea duty in 60 days and deploying for 10 months in August. This will be my 10th deployment in 16 years, the 6th over 9 months long. My first kid is due march 18th and i planned him around shore duty so i could be home for atleast his first 2 years. I gotta do what i gotta do, i am a Sailor but...DAMN, i feel so bad for my wife, she has already had to sacrifice and go through so much... Fun meter is getting pegged. Vent off...

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Damn man....I can relate.This isn't your first rodeo, so enjoy the days you have left back here.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I can certainly understand, and I feel for ya. My first duty assignment took me to Desert Shield/storm. I deployed every other year since. The year I didn't, I went to Korea for a year. After 15 years I had enough.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that news Vinny, Is there a chance those plans may change given your family situation? It seems like your wife's due date and your deployment day are very close.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunatley not. To the personnel bureau youre just a #. I have orders in hand so its a done deal. Atleast ill be here for the birth...
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to come on tonight and post about my crappy day but the. I saw yours and realized he insignificant my day has been. I'm sorry Vinny, that sucks a$$.

No offense intended to anyone who hasn't served but this is the kind sacrifice that only makes sense to a soldier or a sailor.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    That is serious balls. :( Sorry to hear that man.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you're having a crap ass day Vinny. How about you go wait by your mail box in a few days :)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Sorry you're having a crap ass day Vinny. How about you go wait by your mail box in a few days :)
    He needs to be cheered up... sorry about that Vinny, are you able to get online out there?
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear man. Just make sure you give us the correct way to send sticks while you're deployed ok?
    Jetmech_63:
    Unfortunatley not. To the personnel bureau youre just a #. I have orders in hand so its a done deal. Atleast ill be here for the birth...
    Are you having a boy or girl?
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    That blows, sorry bud. You're a better man than me, cuz fu** off would been the first thing outta my mouth when I got the call.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Sorry to hear this Brother, I know its not even close to a consolation ... but may I at least say

"Thank You Sir !"
    For your Service & Sacrifice to our Country

I have never served, but am So Very Thankful to Every Soldier like "YOU" that has done & given so much for us/me in this Country. Most people just say Thank You for your Service, and don't think about all the sacrifices you make, especially giving up Family/Home time we all take for granted, and all you all actually give.
    I just know that one day when your child grows up he/she could be nothing but Proud of you - DAD.

Wishing you a Safe Deployment, Happy and Healthy Child and Wife, and a Speedy return Home!!

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your bad news today. Thank you for serving all of us.
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear Vinny. :<(
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
    PM to you..
    Thanks for the replies, i love you guys, this forum really feels like an extended(though delightfully dysfunctional) family. Eric, we're having a boy, around March 18th-ish. I will be able to get online from the ship and will still be able to recieve packages(and SEND them so dont get any bright ideas). I'm feeling a little bit better about it today, have a hell of a headach though....think it was like 6 drink minimum on vherf last night...
    Redd's Apple will catch up to you quick!
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw this.sorry you had such a bad day.sounds like you're in a better place about it today.thank you for your service and sacrifice brother!tell your wife we thank her too.wishing you a safe deployment.hope you get to make the most of your time home.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about it, and I know it ruins your day, but you signed up and know the consequences. It still feels good to rant about it though! I feel your pain. I missed 2 out of 4 kids being born due to some BS flare ups. Guess what...the better half will never let you live it down either........ She can run the car through the garage and guess what her "get out of jail free line" is....you guessed it
    Spend as much time as you can with your family is the only advice to be given
    Sasquatch:
    ...but you signed up and know the consequences.

Not a foreign concept to me, i assure you...
    Sasquatch:
    Sorry to hear about it, and I know it ruins your day, but you signed up and know the consequences. It still feels good to rant about it though! I feel your pain. I missed 2 out of 4 kids being born due to some BS flare ups. Guess what...the better half will never let you live it down either........ She can run the car through the garage and guess what her "get out of jail free line" is....you guessed it
    Spend as much time as you can with your family is the only advice to be given
    Jeez! Did you deploy and have a soldier mow your lawn??
    I apoligize Jetmech. It was not aimed specifically at you or your situation, but is one of my pet peeves. After being in the field, courses, tdy, deployed, detached for greater than 50% of a 21 year career to hear someone, or even better their wife, gripe about being deployed is irritating. "Johnny has been deployed 3 times in the last 8 years" or my fav "He missed our regular skype time" or even better "he hasn't responded to my facebook post" I am truly sorry but with modern communications, it is 1000% better than waiting in line for a 2 min phone call or trying to go through some pissant 3rd world shithole's telephone exchange to call home.
    Sasquatch:
    Ito hear someone, or even better their wife, gripe about being deployed is irritating
    Is this a real statement? Who is the last guy that said "Boy! I can't wait to go fight a war the American people don't believe in. I'll probably get stationed on a base where my "allies" are on the Taliban payroll and think blowing themselves up at a crowded DFAC or base church is a great idea. I might not be getting paid because the Government can't keep the budget right, but I'm sure my wife and kids will be just fine." I'd be worried about someone's wife who was happy that their husband was deploying. Deploying is always bittersweet. You're going to do your job and to put in to practice all the skills you've learned from training. But leaving your family is obviously tough, and there is the chance you're not coming home. I'm done jacking your thread, my bad! Going to end this on a good note....Vinny, you know your CCom family loves ya and is going to make sure your boat (or is it ship? I forget) does not run out of smokes :)
    Is that a real statement.....Yes, but please take it in context. . It is always hardest on children & wives when we deploy. Do they suffer when we deploy....of course. Does one's marriage suffer....of course. Is anybody happy when it comes to being seperated from their families.....NO

Is it easier to stay in touch now while deployed, as opposed to just a decade ago? Absolutely, think about it for a minute....twitter, skype, facebook, xbox live streams, kik, facetime,etc all have made being deployed 100% easier than in the telephone days. Is it better to see your kid's loose tooth on skype or have it mentioned weeks later on a rushed phone call.....
    That is why it is my pet peeve to hear someone's wife complain about her husband deploying. It was not that they had not even come close to being seperated for as long as my family and I over a career.....well maybe that could be a bit of it...I am human after all.

It goes without saying that I hope your orders are changed again for maybe the 50th time, but this time in your favor.
    Stay safe
    Sorry!
    I stepped on your thread and on you. You did what everybody does when they get the news...gripe, ***, complain because it is such a pita. I should have just let you rant and said(typed) something supportive and left it at that. I should not have brought my personal pet peeve into your thread and for that I apoligize to you.

Have a safe deployment & may it be short!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Damn man sorry too hear this!! That's a pretty crappy day!! I hope things work themselves out for you
    Money can't buy taste
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this, Vinny.

But on the bright side, if you want a good phone call from Millington, I could go borrow one of my friends' long distance and give you a call to cheer you up! I could tell you all about Zoidians or something?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.