Home Cigar 101

How to approach mold at B&M

Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
Needing some advice here. A B&M(well really a liqour store but it has a EXCELLENT cigar humidor) i frequent is starting to grow a fair amount of mold on thwir stock. Some so bad that its growin inside the cello of some and right on the sticks of the unprotected ones. The guy who owns the place doesnt reeeeeally know what he's doing(self-admittedly), he just buys boxes of stuff that people write down on a communal wish list(and most of the people who write stuff down are decent cigar smokers). I want to tell him about the mold problem, delicatley, before it ruins his stock or others see it and drive off customers but given the guy's knowledge level i'd like to give him some advice on what to do. Ideas?

Comments

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Ask to the speak to the manager and politely tell them they have a real problem. Educate him with some info and maybe even a printout with links so that he understands that he's throwing away money plus his business. I'd want to know if I owned the place. I use to live in Visalia...are you talking about the place by Sequoia Mall or downtown?
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I would let him know how much you enjoy shopping there, but he has a VERY large problem on his hands. Be kind, and offer him some friendly info on how to fix the situation. Or, you know, just send him here!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Well...you could text me, and I'll let his distributor know, who will handle such a thing ;) But really, its not the first time I have seen it at Frank's. I'll let his rep know right now, and follow up on Friday with him, hes a good friend. Honestly, just be straight up with him. He's a good dude, and I did tell them once they had an issue and they recalibrated their electric humidifiers.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input guys!! Dustin, it is Franks. I'd hate to see his awesome selection go to waste. Definatley need to bring the humidity down again, its up there...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's sounding pretty bad already. He might have to just get rid of his stock and start over first by cleaning his humidor and check his humidifier to make sure it's not contaminated. Not sure how he'd clean it but I'm sure there's something he could use that won't have adverse affects on cigars once it's dried.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's worse is when it's a place that refuses to listen and tries to claim it's plume. I saw a post on FB by a gal who works in the industry showing a cigar just covered with "plume" she took offense big time when I told her it was mold. Needless to say she removed me from her friends list:)
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Ask and you shall receive... The problem is being addressed this morning ;)
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    What's worse is when it's a place that refuses to listen and tries to claim it's plume. I saw a post on FB by a gal who works in the industry showing a cigar just covered with "plume" she took offense big time when I told her it was mold. Needless to say she removed me from her friends list:)
    i had a post about something similar and ended up telling them and they told me it was plume and i don't know what i am talking about....when i came in next time the same cigars had been wiped down and moved to a different humidor......i hate that damn store, but their prices are so good and they have so many cigars that if i want to find anything decently priced i have to go there.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Ask and you shall receive... The problem is being addressed this morning ;)
    Good for you! Honestly, it's refreshing to hear about a success story such as this. I have my own stories, as does everyone, with much sadder endings. I hope they turn their humi around and...well...maybe take an interest in smoking cigars???
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    So I'm guessing "WTF is this?!" is not the right answer?
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Rain:
    So I'm guessing "WTF is this?!" is not the right answer?
    I did that (very loudly I am ashamed to say) the first time I was taken to the B&M and seen (what he proceeded to explain was plume) on the one he picked for me to start with in cigars :D that day