Home Ratings & Reviews

Thoughts on the Cubao no.7

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had these? Thoughts?
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone?
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Never tried it. I have thought about purchasing it a few times. I think peppin blends it and I like a fair amount if his blends .
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I have had a Cubao that was about a 5x50 size, but not the number 7. I remember it being a bit spicy like a lot of DPG stuff but nothing else really jumped out at me. It was a good cigar, but I didn't rush out and buy a box.
    pelirrojo:
    I have had a Cubao that was about a 5x50 size, but not the number 7. I remember it being a bit spicy like a lot of DPG stuff but nothing else really jumped out at me. It was a good cigar, but I didn't rush out and buy a box.
    Thanks. First time on an auction site I was trying out the bid feature so bid on a box mostly by mistake. I wasn't worried because I figured some one else would bid in the next couple of day. No one did and I one a box dirt cheap. Come on Monday and was just curious of anyone had had them.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    These are made by Ortega now and are great smokes IMO.
    catfishbluezz:
    These are made by Ortega now and are great smokes IMO.
    So $40 for a box of 20 sounds like a good deal...
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    New or old blend that's a pretty killer deal.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad smoke....haven't had one in years but from what I remember it was a good earthy smoke. And yeah $40 for a box is generally a great deal!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Here is what I would suggest... Not a bad deal at all, but without having had one, I wold not recommend it. Reason being, if you do not like it, then you have an entire box to sit on... I made this mistake many times with stuff I kind of liked, then grew out of it. Or I bought 10's or boxes of stuff I wanted to try because it was such a good deal and I heard good things. Sooner or later, I had way to many cigars I did not need. It was ridiculous. Granted, I still have too many cigars, but this is stuff I know I love after years of smoking.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Maduro or natural? Only had the natural and it's essentially almost an oscuro. They age very well. I haven't had the no. 7, only the torp... I think.

If you want to trade for a few, let me know, I'd like to try the corona size.
    catfishbluezz:
    Here is what I would suggest... Not a bad deal at all, but without having had one, I wold not recommend it. Reason being, if you do not like it, then you have an entire box to sit on... I made this mistake many times with stuff I kind of liked, then grew out of it. Or I bought 10's or boxes of stuff I wanted to try because it was such a good deal and I heard good things. Sooner or later, I had way to many cigars I did not need. It was ridiculous. Granted, I still have too many cigars, but this is stuff I know I love after years of smoking.
    I already bought them mostly by mistake. Was just trying to get a sense of what to expect. Thanks for your advice!
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    catfishbluezz:
    Oh so true next you will be looking at cabinet humis if you do not have one now.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Smoked one yet?
    Haven't yet. Maybe tonight.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Echambers:
    pelirrojo:
    Thanks. First time on an auction site I was trying out the bid feature so bid on a box mostly by mistake. I wasn't worried because I figured some one else would bid in the next couple of day. No one did and I one a box dirt cheap. Come on Monday and was just curious of anyone had had them.
    sign of the devil….
    Just finished my first and I think it needs a little time to rest. Nice construction, nice burn, etc. but not particularly interesting the first third--which also burned pretty quickly. The second third had a little more flavor-a bit of spice (but not much) and a distinct woody flavor. Mellowed out again, too quickly in my opinion. in the last third. But on the other hand I smoked it down to the nub.

The #7 is a Lonsdale with a pigtail -- Ray (Glock) sent me a different size a couple of weeks ago so am looking forward to trying that too.
  • bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Regularly smoke Cubao maduro rothchild. Got 2 boxes of the original blend by E&O -- Espinosa & Ortega. The cigars made now by Eddie Ortega. A good quickie with chocolate spice and smooth draw. Rustic San Andres Mexican maduro wrapper that has a rough fell, like a Padron 5000.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the torpedo maduro once long ago and have been meaning to get a fiver ever since. Eddie makes great cigars.
    Echambers:
    Just finished my first and I think it needs a little time to rest. Nice construction, nice burn, etc. but not particularly interesting the first third--which also burned pretty quickly. The second third had a little more flavor-a bit of spice (but not much) and a distinct woody flavor. Mellowed out again, too quickly in my opinion. in the last third. But on the other hand I smoked it down to the nub.

The #7 is a Lonsdale with a pigtail -- Ray (Glock) sent me a different size a couple of weeks ago so am looking forward to trying that too.
    Smoked my second one yesterday. Even a couple extra weeks in the humidor did them well. Very nice smoke with a much more developed and distinct flavor than just two weeks ago...of course I might have been a little drunk so who knows. Definitely would order another box of these.