Home Cigar 101

Lite-ing the smoke?

flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
Ok guys here a question that I have been wondering since I have been hanging around here;

I have seen these fancy lighters on the cigar auction sites, Cigarbid, CigarSprintsale ect....

Why are they so damn expensive? 50+ dollars each? I don't understand, Please help!!

One more piece of this question; What do you guys use to light your favorite smokes??

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's usual high end lighter price. Some are worth it, some aren't. I use a xikar crossover.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    I have several cheap torches, that I received on "bonus" from cigar orders that work good that would normally run around 8-15 bucks, as well as a few not so cheap torches that I hate, and a couple of "zippo style" torches that work OK, and a couple of "Black Ops" double torches (they get way to hot when using) but have to say my favorite one I use the most is my Bugatti....

I got it for 19 bucks, love it other then having to fill it after about 5-6 cigars
    (think I toast em up to slowly ?) not sure,
    the only other one I think I would like to have is ...Prometheus Triple T Chrome Lighter image but at 80 bucks its probably never going to happen lol

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I use a bic
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There are literally hundreds of lighters...of all kinds and shapes and they come in torch or soft flame. One should never have to shell out more than $25 for the best lighters that are out there and choose one that has a lifetime warranty if you can. I choose Xikar lighters...soft flame Exodus and a torch as well. I also have a dozen Ronson lighters...12 torches and 12 soft flame Ronsons that are $1 each.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I have a Xikar Executive II that I got a few months ago. Only $30 and a lifetime warranty. Works great
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    I've got a 4-torch lighter form the as station. big, bulky, and ugly but it works.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    honorknight7:
    I have several cheap torches, that I received on "bonus" from cigar orders that work good that would normally run around 8-15 bucks, as well as a few not so cheap torches that I hate, and a couple of "zippo style" torches that work OK, and a couple of "Black Ops" double torches (they get way to hot when using) but have to say my favorite one I use the most is my Bugatti....

I friggin love this lighter. I use it all the time.
  • i use matches as much as possible.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    pokerstar22:
    i use matches as much as possible.
    Im in match mode as well. One day I will try a torch if I can find a combo-deal!!
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    matches work for me too.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    thats what i use. first strike every time. love this lighter. worth every penny of the $59.95.

the warranty is a good part of that too. i carry it with me just about everywhere i go.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will often use matches, or if I'm at the local cigar lounge, cedar sticks. Also picked up this triple flame lighter at a B&M pretty cheap (under $20). It burns butane fast, but it works great!

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out ccom three-fer deal or something like that. You can get a Bugatti lighter and your choice of 2 five packs for 39.99
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I have a Xikar Tech, JetLine, Ronson Jetlite, and Ronson Comets. Although I like the larger tank of the Xikar the others are much more reliable to light on first strike and MUCH cheaper. In other words, don't feel like you're missing out on something by not spending $20+ on a lighter. If you have the extra funds feel free, but if not just get a cheapie and spend the rest on cigars.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a bugatti, and I like it, but if you slow toast, the button gets too hot. My ronsons all sputter, but get the job done. I sometimes lite in cycles.

I still like long matches if the wind isn't an issue. Cedar spills are great. I really want to try the ones from Commonwealth.

My next purchase may be a tabletop.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    A lighter is a lighter as long as it works well and is dependable your good! I know a lot of guys use xikar,vector,lotus and st. Dupont...all do the same thing at the end of the day
    Money can't buy taste
    rsherman24:
    Check out ccom three-fer deal or something like that. You can get a Bugatti lighter and your choice of 2 five packs for 39.99
    Thanks Sherm i will look for that
    Oops
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this from jetmech and love it. Can imagine using anything else.

-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Ronson Jetlite......$3 from any Walmart. Works fine & cheap enough to lose every so often
  • dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    I like to use matches, but I have a bugatti on the way, hope I like it.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I use $20 bills for my daily smokes..........PAMs
    and $100 bills for my rare HTF ISOMs........