Home General Discussion

Smoking on a Cruise

KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
Going on my first cruise. I'm used to the "All Inclusive s" in Mexico where you can walk around and smoke a cigar almost anywhere. Whats it like on a cruise ? My impression is that it is not as "Cigar Friendly". Maybe a "Cigar Lounge" or a "Designated Smoking Area"? Any of you guys cruise? Please let me know.

Comments

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Most cruise ships allow smoking in outside open air areas .... Most have a cigar lounge or clubs where smoking is allowed and if you have a balcony room, most cruise lines allow smoking there. Hope this helps.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    They only allowed it in the smoking lounge and cigar bar for our cruise on Princess. No smoking on the balcony.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I've done 2 cruises on Holland America. Both times I could smoke on my balcony and there was a cigar room as well
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently spent about an hour and a half to 2 hours with a local travel agent trying to find cruises/cruise lines that have cigar lounges on board. What we learned was that, little by little, the cruise lines are doing away with cigar lounges. On my last cruise to the Bahamas I was assured by Norwegian that they had a lounge but once on board I found out it no longer allowed cigars and the only place I could smoke a cigar was on the highest, aft-most deck on the ship where it blows a constant gale.

about the only cruise lines we found that still had lounges all started with "C" for some reason - Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. And none of their cruises with lounges were on the west coast. Plus, as I said, they're gradually being phased out. I gave up on going on another cruise. All I can say is "Good Luck"....

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Guess I'll find out.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Just went on a Princess cruise last year and on every ship they have a Churchill's lounge, which both sells cigars and allows you to smoke them. They have 1 upper deck in the back that allows smoking, but smoking has been banned on all balconies due to a fire from a cigar thrown overboard and blown back in on a lower deck. The lounge got a bit to smokey at times on the ship at night. I don't think they had the ventilation quite right, but outside it was great. Drink service, lots of fellow BOTLs, good times and a great ship.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I cruise at least twice a year and have about 20 of them under my belt...have cruised with about every Cruise Line and I can tell you each one is different. Depending on where you want to go and for how long there are things you need to know....after choosing your destination start looking at each Line...I prefer Celebrity because they have great food....Princess is pretty good but it'**** and miss with the food. RCL is pretty good as well but they tend to suffer from the last year with the Noro Virus issues on their boats. Carnival is basically the 'catch all' cruise line where it's cheap and the food isn't all that great...but their Specialty Restaurants are pretty good...the same with all the Cruise Lines...they have really good Specialty Restaurants. Holland America is good...they tend to have better Cigar Lounges..food is good but they cater to the older crowd while Carnival caters to younger people and lots of kids running around the ship like a pack of wolves. Norwegian is not all that good...their dining is pretty awful and the buffet is for crap. Cunard is really good...great Cigar Lounges as they cater to this type of traveler...sophisticated and upscale. If you need more info just PM me...there's not much I don't know about cruises.
    blutattoo:
    Just went on a Princess cruise last year and on every ship they have a Churchill's lounge, which both sells cigars and allows you to smoke them. They have 1 upper deck in the back that allows smoking, but smoking has been banned on all balconies due to a fire from a cigar thrown overboard and blown back in on a lower deck. The lounge got a bit to smokey at times on the ship at night. I don't think they had the ventilation quite right, but outside it was great. Drink service, lots of fellow BOTLs, good times and a great ship.

Thats the line we're taking. The ship is the Royal Princess. Guess I'll smoke when I'm off the ship. It appears I won't be able to hang out with the family at the pool or anything and have drinks and a cigar. :(
    Thanks again for the input guys.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    The Royal is a really nice ship but their Cigar Lounge is not very big....but not many people really use it either. Take your cigars with you and enjoy them after dinner or whenever you want...just know that Churchills Lounge is small and more like a sports bar often times called "Snookers"...
    Cigary:
    The Royal is a really nice ship but their Cigar Lounge is not very big....but not many people really use it either. Take your cigars with you and enjoy them after dinner or whenever you want...just know that Churchills Lounge is small and more like a sports bar often times called "Snookers"...
    Good to know. Thank again for the advice.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Yep, this is the ship we went on 12 day Mediterranean from Venice to Barcelona. The lounge is small with not a whole lot of ventilation, so at night when the cigarette smokers don't want to go outside they pack it and it is like an old airport smoking lounge. No bar, but they do have wait staff come through periodically. The back deck just behind the gym is great though really big deck area for laying out with a book and drink service. They did have a small selection of decent big name sticks, but don't expect a big variety so I'd bring my own. Hopefully you can meet some cool Canadians that have brought some cc's.