Home Cigar 101

Speaking of mold,.............

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Will mold necessarily, absolutely, actually TRANSFER to your cigars just because it has formed on your water pillow, foam puck or gel crystals? Most of us seem to operate with a "better safe that sorry, throw it out" mantra but I mean ,....If your RH is 65% or less then you shouldn't freak out over a little mold INSIDE the gel jar, right?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah. I've had a little bit of fuzzy white mold grow on something once. A water pillow or something got too moist and shoved in a corner of the humi. I wiped it off and let it dry. Haven't see anything since, it's been a few years.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Well...I have tossed moldy cigars wiped down right back in the humi and never seen it again. Let's just say, sometimes stuff from the island shows up fuzzy. Wiped down, tossed in, no worries. Fact is, the mold spores are everywhere. It's the poor storage that breeds it really. Those 70rh gel jars are a good culprit.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some things mold as low as 62rh but it's really temp you should worry about! But I've never seen mold grow on a boveda pack bwahahahahhaaaa
    Money can't buy taste
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    While I don't have conclusive proof that spores can be transferred from a water pillow to the cigar I do believe mold spreads...it just does. If I spotted anything on the RH media I'd either replace it and get another pillow or use another RH source. Once you have mold in your humidor then you have to be proactive in ensuring that ALL mold is then removed or you might get another case of it. This again is why I use a RH media where it doesn't get mold...KL or beads. Floral foam is one of those that work but almost everytime I've used it...mold. I've gotten mold from beads but that was after 2 years of use and with KL it's been over 3 years and not even a hint of anything going moldy. Even if your RH is 65% inside your humidor but you see mold...that spells trouble...be proactive and get rid of the stuff where it lives and do some cleanup.
  • dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    Actually found some mold on a water pillow I had in one of my humis today. I just tossed the water pillow, wasn't sure if it could spread, but wasn't willing to risk it either.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a matter of how soon you catch it. I've had mold twice. The first time was on a foam puck tossed that and never saw any for about a year then I found a stick that had a little. Smoked that and haven't seen any sign since. That's one of the first things I do when I get home is look thru the humi's and make sure everything's good.