Home Cigar 101

Not quite a coolerdor...

RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
but a decent size, nonetheless. I have a few questions for you folks. Here is what I picked up:

I'll have more pics up tomorrow of the insides, and the dimensions. Its currently locked in my trunk and covered in snow. Eff dat noise.

I'm going to make this into a humidor. I'll order Spanish cedar online, re-panel the inside with is, craft fittings for the most commonly used quality digital hygrometer and whatever humidification I decide to use, give the exterior a decent cleanup, and figure out how to seal it.

My questions are going to be answerable once we see the interior and see its dimensions, yes, but will consist of things like:
What sort of layout is optimum in a more-horizontal-than-vertical housing, as far as shelves or no shelves?
Has anyone here worked with Spanish cedar before, and know of pitfalls one might not expect?
The trick behind "sure seal" looks to be using the seasoned, hydro-filled wood to press against the walls, effectively sealing it. Seem accurate enough?
I am thinking 1/4" planks of Spanish cedar; would there be a noticeable effect of sizing up to 3/8 or something, as far as maintaining humidity goes?
Sure to be a spot of contention, I'm thinking Heartfelt Beads in their tubes. Would anyone see a problem with this?

Another thing. This chest has loads of character. Pretty cool; came through New York from some foreign country back in the day, its hard to read a lot of it. Lock still works, but I'll probably WD-40 it a bit. All in all, I'm looking forward to this side project!

Lastly, I'm not QUITE sure if it goes here, or if it'll be successful, so feel free to boo me into oblivion or something if this is stupid and cannot work.

Comments

• New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    It's going to take some time, and some love to convert that thing. However, when done...that would be one of the sickest humi's I've seen.

Now, keep in mind, you don't know WHAT that trunk has been through. You are going to want to seal off every square inch of that thing. Leave no chance for anything to seep into the humi part. I would sacrifice a bit of space (you have PLENTY) to ensure the outside is sealed off.

You may be looking into electronic humidification for something that size. It's going to be hard to maintain a decent rH until you can start filling it. That thing is going to laugh at 100 sticks. Also, for you hyrgos...I'd look into the wireless type. The weather readers? You should be able to read multiple areas with one receiver.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Awesome trunk, man! I hope you have better luck with your project than I did.
    I found an old trunk at a thrift shop and thought it would make a great trunkidor. A friend who does woodworking offered to convert it for me if I would pay for the supplies. He11 yeah! After nearly three weeks he called to say it was done. He told me he had sealed all of the cracks with aquarium sealant, lined the interior with Spanish cedar laminate and he built a full length removable tray to go in it. I used a pound of HF beads for humidification and put weather stripping around the lid. It worked great for about six months.
    While digging through it one day, a huge piece of the laminate came off. Underneath was the original wood of the trunk. He was supposed to put four layers of laminate on it. Then the corners began to crack. Long story short, my friend shafted me.
    If you take your time and use the right materials you can turn the trunk I to an awesome humidor. If you find something horribly wrong with it during the retrofit process, I'd use the measurements to build a new trunk that could be easily antiqued to look like the old one. Best of luck, bro, can't wait to see the final product.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see. What to use for humidification? What to use,........what TO use....................Gee, I'm stumped ;)

Hey! Let's ask Lee!! He'll know what to use! LOL
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    Bob Luken:
    Let's see. What to use for humidification? What to use,........what TO use....................Gee, I'm stumped ;)

Boveda pack maybe?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I hear that rocks work.Seriously, though...boveda?! That's crazy. I hear they make good drink coasters.
    Rocks? Reminds me of Charlie Brown going trick or treating on Halloween. "I got a rock".
    curtiscr79:
    Bob Luken:

Boveda pack maybe?
    Boveda? Hmmmm,....................maybe he would ;)
    KL FTW! You could even make a perferated bottom shelf on 1in feet. KL below it, and rH can flow freely.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    RedRex06:
    but a decent size, nonetheless. I have a few questions for you folks. Here is what I picked up:

I'll have more pics up tomorrow of the insides, and the dimensions. Its currently locked in my trunk and covered in snow. Eff dat noise.

I'm going to make this into a humidor. I'll order Spanish cedar online, re-panel the inside with is, craft fittings for the most commonly used quality digital hygrometer and whatever humidification I decide to use, give the exterior a decent cleanup, and figure out how to seal it.

My questions are going to be answerable once we see the interior and see its dimensions, yes, but will consist of things like:
    What sort of layout is optimum in a more-horizontal-than-vertical housing, as far as shelves or no shelves?
    Has anyone here worked with Spanish cedar before, and know of pitfalls one might not expect?
    The trick behind "sure seal" looks to be using the seasoned, hydro-filled wood to press against the walls, effectively sealing it. Seem accurate enough?
    I am thinking 1/4" planks of Spanish cedar; would there be a noticeable effect of sizing up to 3/8 or something, as far as maintaining humidity goes?
    Sure to be a spot of contention, I'm thinking Heartfelt Beads in their tubes. Would anyone see a problem with this?

Another thing. This chest has loads of character. Pretty cool; came through New York from some foreign country back in the day, its hard to read a lot of it. Lock still works, but I'll probably WD-40 it a bit. All in all, I'm looking forward to this side project!

Lastly, I'm not QUITE sure if it goes here, or if it'll be successful, so feel free to boo me into oblivion or something if this is stupid and cannot work.
    This is a cool idea, cant wait until its finished!!
    There's a thread around here somewhere,.........somebody else completed a project just like this with pictures and everything. I have searched a bit but I cannot find it. Any of you guys remember that? Do you remember who?
    I'd like to go a bit more in depth that I did earlier.

As I said, you don't know what that trunk has been through. If you let any of the rH get to the trunk itself, whatever (might) have spilled on that trunk, is going to get a bit rehydrated. Then you have the chance of it seeping back inside. I may be way off here, but if it were me I'd play it safe and take extra care to make sure the trunk and humi are 100% sealed off.
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    I love these answers so far! Its brought up things I would not have considered at all, so THANKS for that! I'm pretty excited to make it happen, just have to get my tax return in and I'll see where I can take it :D Pictures, as promised, will be coming soon. Its till in my trunk...
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be a nice project for you. I have done several different conversions for myself and a couple of friends, for that size/shape I would consider a set of trays, you could fit maybe 6 trays that will hold 40 sticks ea. (stackable) total area of 18"W x 10"H x 16"D and still have room for boxes. I buy my cedar from a local lumber yard (rough stock 12/4) and mill it to size myself for a fraction of the online cost, I have to wear a resparator though, the dust is a serious allergen! Power Grab by Loctite is an excelent low VOC adhesive. Have fun!!
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    Very nice! I haven't looked into local suppliers yet but I also don't have a ton of space to work on it, being in an apartment and all. I'll be picking up a hand saw for big cuts, I have a dremel 4000 for detail work, and that should be about all the tools I need. And even then I could just cut with the dremel, as well, so long as I can get the cuts straight. DEFINITELY looking forward to playing around with this :D
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    That should look really nice after you're done. You already know that the most important thing you're facing is that the inside of it should have a near perfect seal. Take exact measurements of the interior and once you have the bottom and sides done it's the top that you want to ensure is exact....taper the closing part on the top where it closes and meets the front....start out slowly and you'll have to close and re close the top so you get that little bit of resistance ( or whoosh sound) when you close the top. You shouldn't have to force it but just a slight tug will let you know you've got it. When you think you have it do a light test to ensure that all of your seams are tight and then add your humidifying agent...I suggest KL but that's just me. Can't wait to see it all done.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I wish you all the best luck on your project. I'm thinking you may need more than a handsaw for the big cuts and a dremel, though. How do you plan on getting tight joinery to make the seal without the tools?
    I hate to be anything but encouraging but,......"A hand saw for the big cuts"...? I'm wondering if this isn't a bigger project than your tool chest can handle at the moment. I've gotten myself into woodworking situations that became very frustrating because I didn't have the tools to pull off what I was trying to.

I do have an alternative suggestion that could get you rolling with little or no real construction hassles. Find a cooler that will fit inside the trunk.