Home Cigar 101

WHAT THE .....?

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a sad sad tale I am about to tell you. It is hard for me to say. I love cigars. I really do. For a long time I was hardcore into every aspect of cigars. Blogging, working part time for a company, hitting all the shops and internet sales, having to have the new release, organizing cigars for the troops with friends and cigar makers. It consumed me and I loved it. Still do.

Fast forward to today. I must confess I have not purchased any new cigars in over 2 years. I have not tried any new releases in all of those years either. Had plenty of Viaje that I horded and traded a kidney for. I have been surviving on a well stocked humidor and cut my smoking back a bit just due to life being so busy.

So the purpose of this thread? I want your suggestions on what I have missed out on in the last two years with your favorites and must try lists. I feel kind of behind and overwhelmed. I have my old favorites but I want to get excited about cigars again and smoke those good things I have been missing. I plan on taking your suggestions and hitting cigar.com and the local B&M and reporting back my thoughts on your recommendations. Thanks guys!!

Comments

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Over the same period I must too confess my own story....I've got so many cigars that I love and smoke but just don't buy into the commercial business of every cigar coming out is the best thing.....I've burnt out of these ads and marketing and how I'd pay for a 5 pak just to be disillusioned after trying them...all sizzle and no bacon. I have about 25 brands that I currently smoke and love every one of them so it's not like I don't have anything to smoke. I've added a couple of brands that I have smoked over the years into my rotation but the new ones....nope. I do have cigars sent to me by good people in the business wanting me to give a review on them and I still do ....but I won't pay for anything out there currently. I will be looking at this thread for sure to see if there is anything I've been missing as well.....curiosity being what it is maybe I might make a purchase.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went 7 years without a cigar and jumped back in because of a radio commercial. I started out with about 10 samplers and 3 bombs from the generous people on this forum. Very good way to get back in.

I too was overwhelmed by the abundance of new cigars on the market and was bound and determined to try as many as I could, talk about a bucket list. Luckily my doctor put me on a new prescription and my head became so much clearer and that bucket list is in the trash.

In half of the samplers and 2 of the bombs was a brand I really liked (new to me) and 5 Vegas is my overall preference.

I keep a few others on hand,Tarano and Black Pearl, and the 3 birthday bombs I just received have some brands I have never tried. I will buy a sampler every once in awhile, but I now know what I like.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did you miss?
    Not much. There are those few newer cigars out there that are pretty good, but the bulk of my purchases are the tried and true cigars out there.
    Don't get me wrong, I will still purchase new release cigars just to see if they are any good or just another froo froo cigar.
    Most, I purchase only once.
    Some are really good, which causes me to keep looking.
    But I try not to follow the hype.
    Just my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what was new.... When did the Pepin Centurion come out? I was pretty impressed with those.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Hey Jake, long time no see brother! I really haven't been trying a ton of new stuff the past year or so, but I would highly recommend you try the following:

the new DPG El Centurion; alot of people are saying the original was better, I honestly can't remember which is better, but the new one is very good
    Alec Bradley Mundial; one of the few cigars in that price range that I feel is totally worth it
    Room 101 Namakubi in the Ranfla size; for some reason the Papi Chulo and Filero just do not capture the flavors like the Ranfla does
    Tatuaje 10th Anniversary; fantastic cigar, my second favorite Tat, second only to the Anarchy for me
    Flor de las Antilles; IMO, DPG's best offering to date

Oh, and the Davidoff Puro d'Oro isn't really new, but I just had my first one a few months ago and it blew my mind, lol.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    It's new to the American market, but have you tried the Regius yet? That and the JD Howard Reserve by four kicks are the first that come to mind for me.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Ramon Bueso. Only two blends so far (that I'm aware of) but I like 'em both a lot. PM me your address, I'll probably think of a couple others as well.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I have read here and a few other posts it seems all the hype on new release stuff is kind of old. I got to the point where I was frantic about getting the new releases and paying a fortune to get them. It almost became stressful and no longer fun and enjoyable. I think it may have burned me out. I thought back to the excitement of being a new cigar smoker and seeing how much sampler "bang" I could get for my money. I started associating a high dollar price with quality. I miss the old days of getting excited on stocking up the humidor with budget cigars that I enjoyed. To this day 5 Vegas Cask Strength II remains one of my favorite cigars.

There are several things mentioned here that I have not even heard of so I will be taking your recommendations and trying them out. Walked into the local B&M the other day and I had no clue as to what all the new stuff was. Just saw a lot of things I have never heard of. They did have a ton of Opus X in though.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Davidoff Nicaragua. Do it. You deserve it. You are the man.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    I've been looking at those, well that sells it gotta pick up a couple of those.
    jliu:
    I want to eat Kim-chi in bed with you. I have missed you buddy ;) Never had that one and I am definitely seeking it out.
    Gaetano7890:
    jliu:
    I keep going back n forth on these. I've had all the vitolas minus the belicosos and toro is my favorite. But dang Davidoff prices... they're really great though.
    jsnake:
    jliu:
    I want to eat Kim-chi in bed with you. I have missed you buddy ;) Never had that one and I am definitely seeking it out.
    I want to bathe with you in the sea. Great to see you posting man!
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    Gaetano7890:
    jliu:
    I keep going back n forth on these. I've had all the vitolas minus the belicosos and toro is my favorite. But dang Davidoff prices... they're really great though.

Jacob, he is right, you will try these old friend....

RCY Cigars:
    jliu:
    Gaetano7890:
    jliu:

Jacob, he is right, you will try these old friend....

What is up brother!? Is that a threat or a typo hahaha. I think about you every time I look at that German mug on my dresser next to my German pipes and jars. Trying to get back into full swing. Life is good.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    You really haven't missed a ton. There are some newer offerings out there from AJ that are sold B&M that are good from what I hear. I have found myself smoking more Tat and DPG stuff as well as continuing to enjoy LFD and AF stuff. There are lots of gimmicks out there but the brands with an appreciation for the culture and industry seem to be continually doing good things.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    the quick and dirty list for me is, JD Howard Reserve, Davidoff Nicaragua, and LFD Oro. Good to see you back at Jsnake.
    Thanks for all the input. Gives me a good shopping list and start. I'll try to post up a few thoughts on what I get.