Home Cigar 101

What to get?

ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
So i have around 75 bucks to get some cigars. I have smoked a grand total of like 15 cigars and i just wanna see what you guys would recomend. I have had a few Fonseca that I liked and a Man O' War as well. I got a Felipe Origins sampler but most of them tasted really woody and not what i would say was awesome.
So what would you guys recomend that i try or get?
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Hiya Shadow, check out sime if the samplers on CCOM pick one with cigars that you havent tried yet. 75 bucks will get you some great stuff, and of course go to the newbue trading topic and ask fir a sponsir and a trade. Fill out your bio with you want to try list, and somone will trade and put you on the good traders list. Give it a shot bri, im new also and the vets here are very helpfull.
  • gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    Call Tim Blythe(The Beard) at cigar.com, he'll put something together for you.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    One thing I like that ccom does is if you go to the brand you like and scroll towards the bottom it lists samplers that brand comes in. If you order one of those you can either branch out and try the line, or sometimes find sampler that include blends that share a characteristic with the one you like. If you check out the Man o War page you find a couple samplers in your range where you can branch out. If you call or e-mail ccom (or specifically "the beard" Tim Blythe tblythe@cigar.com) he can put together a sampler for you right in your price range instead. But best at this stage is to find a good starting point, like you've done, and branch out through a sampler. You might find dead ends in there, but you'll probably find really interesting roads to go down as well.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I found a sampler that has the following... Worth getting?
    5 - 1876 Reserve Churchill (7.25" x 50)
    5 - Gerant's Golden Siesta Churchill (7" x 50)
    5 - Free Cuba Churchill (7.25" x 50)
    5 - Duque Churchill (7" x 50)
    5 - Joya del Jefe Presidente (7" x 50)
    5 - Palma Real Presidente (7.5" x 50)
    5 - Oro Cubano Churchill (7" x 50)
    5 - Don Smith Serie Dee Churchill (7" x 50)
    5 - Raji's Untimely Demise Churchill (7" x 50)
    5 - Hesitant Pirate Churchill (7" x 50)
    5 - Ron Mexico Churchill (7" x 50)
    5 - Don Rafael #67 Churchill (7.5" x 50)
    5 - La Diferencia Cubana Churchill (7" x 50)
    5 - Bahia B-Line Connecticut Churchill (7" x 48)
    5 - Augusto Reyes Emperador Double Corona (7.5" x 50)
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I wouldn't waste the money but YMMV.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gio164:
    +1 to this
    Tell him what your budget is, what you've liked, and what you've disliked and he'll set you up with a custom sampler and give you the best "bang for your buck"

ShadowInTheMoon:
    I would avoid that one.....IMO the smokes in that sampler range from "smokable" to "dog rocket".
    And that's a $hit load of "budget" cigars if you end up not liking them .... seriously though I don't think you'll enjoy the taste of a lot of those. And you'll have a hard time trading/passing those off if you don't like them.

If you want to get a "pre-made sampler" though....I seriously recommend the CCOM 2013 awards sampler.
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=SP-CCAWMON13
    Lots of variety in there, you'll get a wide range of flavors and price points. You won't get the quantity of smokes as the sampler you posted, but you'll get wayyyyy better quality with this one. Just my $0.02

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the awards sampler, there are some great smokes in there
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My Opinion... Save your money. I know this sampler you are looking at, and even at a buck each, you will never smoke them all. These budget cigars are not a fair representation of all the great cigars available. I have tried some on the list and I will say I will NEVER buy any of these cigars. If I was given them I would not smoke them either. But, do what you think is best ;) By the way, with that sampler they send 5 Cohiba Red Dots. The ONLY redeeming thing about this sampler. So ifr you want to spend the hundred for a few Red Dots, they will be the "Gem" of this bunch
    gio164:
    I called but he was busy and gave him my number. Ill look around a bit more but glad i posted because that sampler looked good to me...
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    where did you find that sampler?

Aj
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    gio164:
    I called but he was busy and gave him my number. Ill look around a bit more but glad i posted because that sampler looked good to me...
    You could also email @ TBlythe@cigar.com. Tell him the forum sent you. If hes busy he might take a bit to get back to you, but when he does you wont be disappointed.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    This is always hard to tell somebody what to get because what our tastes might be might not match up to what you like....it's always the best bet to just buy 2 or three of a brand you think you might like. How does one approach that? By researching...look for brands that will match up to the profiles you like already and go from there. If you are starting out in this hobby then don't buy anything over a medium strength....your tastes most likely will be overpowered until you are used to it. Try something that is mild to medium...Fuente Cigars are what a lot of people love when first starting out as the brand caters to a lot of mild to medium profiles. Another thing to note....let your cigars sit in your humidor for a couple of weeks at least if you're not going to smoke them right away....they tend to smoke a little wet if you buy them from a B&M ....if you buy them online then they need to sit for at least two weeks as the change of environments from the warehouse to your humidor tends to rob them a bit of their flavor.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    where did you find that sampler?

Aj
    PM about this on the way.
  • gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    So i have around 75 bucks to get some cigars. I have smoked a grand total of like 15 cigars and i just wanna see what you guys would recomend. I have had a few Fonseca that I liked and a Man O' War as well. I got a Felipe Origins sampler but most of them tasted really woody and not what i would say was awesome.
    So what would you guys recomend that i try or get?
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corbin sent me my movie trivia winnings so now I have his address if anyone wants to help him out. Send me a pm (Welcome to the forum, by the way ;-) )
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    sounds like a ton of yard work
    Money can't buy taste
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These may have been mentioned, but if you are looking for a sampler with decent variety,
    Thrifty Fifty, while not the greatest in the world, it isn't terrible.
    Thrifty Thirty Sampler II is a better value than the thrifty fifty with better selection.
    Bottomless Cup Sampler II is a good value.
    J. Fuego Robusto Collection is a pretty good value.

Remember that volume and cheapness isn't always a good value.
    Just my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    +1 on the volume/value choice.

For me I'd try samplers with smaller sizes too. No need for all those churchills. I've never been huge on the giant sizes to begin with. Robusto's or similar sizes seem to be a little less expensive as well, plus they get right into the sweet spot of the cigar without investing 20 minutes to find out if it is gonna get good. Someone mentioned the thrifty thirty. That's a good starter package or the awards sampler has some great sticks in it.
  • Pm to shadow
    I called and they put togeather a sampler for me. 2 of each of the following... Let me know what you guys think
    Ave Maria Immaculata
    Fallen Angel (really been wanting to try this one)
    La Aurora
    Man O' War Virtue
    Man O' War Puro Authentico
    CAO Brazilia
    Pinolero Habano
    Ramon Bueso Genesis The Project
    San Lotano Habano
    buckeyecigar:
    Pm to shadow
    Pm back
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I think you'll be much happier with that sampler versus the one you posted. Good smokes there!
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    I called and they put togeather a sampler for me. 2 of each of the following... Let me know what you guys think
    Ave Maria Immaculata
    La Aurora
    Man O' War Virtue
    CAO Brazilia
    Pinolero Habano
    San Lotano Habano

Much better choice, but you won't like the"Ramon Bueso Genesis The Project", just send that one to me and I'll take care of it.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Ave Maria Immaculata
    La Aurora
    Man O' War Virtue
    CAO Brazilia
    Pinolero Habano
    San Lotano Habano

Much better choice, but you won't like the"Ramon Bueso Genesis The Project", just send that one to me and I'll take care of it.
    Yup, probably should have him send out the Brazilia and La Aurora. They are terrible cigars. ROFL!!
    Looking like a good selection.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    It's hard to tell someone what to try because we all have our preferences. There are so many different cigars our there that are great. I can't really recommend any samplers, but here are quite a few that I think you may like:

cain habano
    cain F
    oliva g cameroon
    nub cameroon
    gran habano 3 sls
    CAO La traviata
    RP sungrown
    Aj Fernandez fresh rolled
    5 vegas classic
    5 vegas miami (if you can find any)
    padilla miami
    padilla 1932
    El Triunfador by Tatuaje
    RP Edge
    My Father
    Diesel (i prefer the unlimited)
    San Cristobal
    San Lotano Oval
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Ave Maria Immaculata
    La Aurora
    Man O' War Virtue
    CAO Brazilia
    Pinolero Habano
    San Lotano Habano
    That's a great sampler. I'd smoke em all. No dogs there.
    blutattoo:
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Ave Maria Immaculata
    La Aurora
    Man O' War Virtue
    CAO Brazilia
    Pinolero Habano
    San Lotano Habano
    That's a great sampler. I'd smoke em all. No dogs there.
    I looked a few of them up and they all seem like that high quality stuff everyone is mentioning around here. Im excited to have them get here
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Ave Maria Immaculata
    La Aurora
    Man O' War Virtue
    CAO Brazilia
    Pinolero Habano
    San Lotano Habano
    Yes. Perfect. You'll probably like most if not all of these and those you don't like as much will teach you what you don't like really well.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.