Home Cigar 101

Temperature problem

TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
So my humi has been holding between 65-68% rh, but the temp is right around 77 degrees. My entire apartment is around that temp and I don't have a/c. what can I do to lower the temp? Can I put a fan blowing on the humi? What is the optimal temp? What is too high?

Comments

• i had a similar problem in my apt here in San Diego....so i moved to a house with A/C! I now keep my cabinet humi in 3rd bedroom by itself in 70 degree temp! My cigars are now happy. On a serious note.....you can buy a portable a/c unit...you can find one on craigslist for about 150-250 bucks or buy a window type of ac unit and install it your self. The other option is to find the coolest part of your home and place the humi there (closet...etc) But 77 degrees is too high to leave them exposed to those temp for long periods of time.....the tabacco beetle might hatch and eat away your cigars
  • A solution I have used in the past for that problem is to place my humidor on top of my refrigerator, which is slightly cool to the touch. I figured this could help cool down the overall inner tempurature of the humidor but not too much. Unfortunately it is kind of a wierd place to store your cigars.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    T. Gervais:
    A solution I have used in the past for that problem is to place my humidor on top of my refrigerator, which is slightly cool to the touch. I figured this could help cool down the overall inner tempurature of the humidor but not too much. Unfortunately it is kind of a wierd place to store your cigars.
    Sadly that may work for most refrigerators where the freezer is on the top. My idiot fridge has the freezer on the bottom!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Shaun if you have a cooler...place your humi inside the cooler and add something frozen to the cooler. keep your eye on the temp and when it gets down to what you need remove your frozen item. The cooler will then maintain the temp for 12 hours or so.
    I have done this a few times this summer, what with the heat we have been getting, and it works great!
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Doug, that answers the question I was just about to ask. Sadly, my cooler is at my dad's house and it's going to hit a pretty high temp here today.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    How big is the humidor? If its a desktop, you could put the frozen object on top of the humidor and let the coolness drop down into it. Just make sure you keep a dishtowel between them and the top of the lid so you don't ruin the lid of the humidor and monitor the temp as best you can so it doesn't get too low. But on a hot day, even if you left it alone I would bet it can't go lower than 60.