Home Cigar 101

Avoiding that yucky feeling. Why does a heavy meal work?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have seldom had a problem with strong cigars but it has happened once or twice and I am now more prone to watch what I smoke and when I smoke and I am more aware of the potential for trouble. But what is the science behind the fact that a heavy meal helps you tolerate a strong cigar better? And are we basically referring to the tolerance of just nicotine? And does the type of foods eaten have a different effect? Say, if you ate a only meat but no carbs, would you still be able to tolerate the stronger cigars? And what about sugar? How does a teaspoon of sugar help fight off that yucky feeling?

Comments

• ive never noticed a difference from what i eat. a full meal for me just helps me from getting that gut feeling from a strong cigar, it doesn't really help with the feeling in my head.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that if I've eaten, it doesn't matter what I eat, a cigar that kicks me in the gut doesn't usually if I've eaten.
    I've also noticed that if I smoke the same cigar and drink something with caffeine, it will kick me in the gut far more often.
    But that's just me.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    I find the same thing happens with caffeine for me. In fact, after my surgery I would take my morning percocet while drinking coffee, and would basically be high as a kite, whereas ONLY the perc and no caffeine was totally normal, just no pain. Maybe the caffeine just helps stuff along?
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Nicotine effects your metabolism greatly. It can also have a "high" effect, is large doses. So, if you have an empty stomach, your metabolism will start racing, and there is nothing for it to do....so, now your body essentially thinks its starving. It goes into a survival state, allowing the nicotine to have a greater effect on you.

Caffeine is essentially a speed booster. So, that's why taking your perc with your coffee, made your body process the pill faster...so you got more of the medicine, faster. Food can also affect caffeine. If you have a stomach full of food, you can take in more caffeine, than you could on an empty stomach.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be that it raises your blood sugar to offset the increase in nicotine? Just a guess as I've heard mentioned before to eat a tablespoon of sugar after a stick if it made you feel bad.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ... bout to throw in some Mastodon
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Heavy Metal? :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    kuzi16:
    works for me...

hard to see on a phone.

got it now that i am on a computer.

heavy meal... blood sugar... im on airport time.
    sorry guys.
    im losing it. been in an airport or on a plane for 18ish hours (in air only 1h 20min)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Gray4lines:
    kuzi16:
    works for me...

hard to see on a phone.

sorry guys.
    im losing it. been in an airport or on a plane for 18ish hours (in air only 1h 20min)
    Lol!! I knew that's what happened... I do like Mastodon, I need to pick up their new album.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    kuzi16:
    Gray4lines:
    kuzi16:
    works for me...

hard to see on a phone.

sorry guys.
    Lol!! I knew that's what happened... I do like Mastodon, I need to pick up their new album.
    LOL. I thought kuzi was about to grill some mastadon steaks and enjoy a strong cigar.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    kuzi16:
    That's how I read it the first time too....LOL

Strong cigar + heavy metal = no "yucky" feeling
    Made sense to me.

But umm, heavy meal makes more sense

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I had a weird experience the other day. I had a Pepin Blue toro with a bit of Cranberry & Vodka… very moderate. I wasn't feeling bad at all but we'd made a very hot & spicy batch of chili and it really threw me for a loop. I don't know why, but the heat of the habaneros, jalapeños, cascabel & ancho peppers kicked everything into high gear. Wacky and disorienting.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Cohiba Black about a week ago that really knocked me for a loop. Wish I'd have had a good meal instead of the salad I ate before I fired up that baby. But it was still a good smoke much better than the red dot.