Home Cigar 101

Question

TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
My friend picked this up and gave me a few sticks. Do you guys think this is the real deal? He gave it as a gift so it's the thought that counts. But curiosity has gotten me and I've been wondering if it's real or not. What do you guys think?

Comments

• honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    I wouldn't know even if I bought them myself (to new) but there was a thread a while ago that talked about it........

counterfeit cohiba?

hope it helps :)

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that Font for the 2004 was used in that year. I could have sworn it was the same font as the rest of the gold band.

My first reaction would be that they are not authentic.

But hopefully more knowledgeable guys will chime in.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Look at the cap. I could be wrong but they should have a triple cap. The square dots seem to be perfectly spaced and no irregularities. Habana, Cuba is nice and bold. The word "Cohiba" is nice and gold and the letters are also raised like they should be. Overall, the bands look great, but I'm no cigar expert especially when it comes to cuban cigars. You might want to do a little research about the 2004 ediition. I think if you turn the cigar over to the foot and look at it the filler should also be rolled. You may or may not be able to tell but, i could be wrong, i think the filler in cuban cigars are rolled and then wrapped up like all other cigars. It may be too hard to see that though. I've only been smoking for almost 2 years now ( i think?) so don't pay much attention to my post :P
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the band was counterfeit that is one of the best jobs I have seen. Normally the white dots have an extra row or incomplete row that looks like ot was cut off. Lettering is usually goofy too. The counterfeiters could be stepping up their game though. It is the thought that counts but I personally don't want to smoke scraps off the floor that may contain foreign objects. Don't be quick to dismiss them. Some of the fakes are good cigars but you just never know. Hope they are the real deal.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The band could be real, but not necessarily the cigar. Watched Catfish's cuban cigar webinar and if I remember all cuban cohibas have triple caps no exceptions. Fake doesn't mean bad, heck I've had fake cubans that were actually damn good. All that really matters is your buddy went out of his way to hook you up.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    If the band was counterfeit that is one of the best jobs I have seen. Normally the white dots have an extra row or incomplete row that looks like ot was cut off. Lettering is usually goofy too. The counterfeiters could be stepping up their game though. It is the thought that counts but I personally don't want to smoke scraps off the floor that may contain foreign objects. Don't be quick to dismiss them. Some of the fakes are good cigars but you just never know. Hope they are the real deal.
    Especially on the one on the right, the bottom row of white dots does look cut off to my eye. The wrappers look pretty good though, so...

Actually if you look at the site posted above, scroll down a long ways, it looks just like the 2004 Sublimes. Is it 6.5" long?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but they aren't real :( Right off the bat, the font on the 2004 is wrong. Also, people don't just "pick up" a couple of Cohiba Sublimes. Without pictures, there is about a 99% chance of them being fake just because of what they are.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Sorry, but they aren't real :( Right off the bat, the font on the 2004 is wrong. Also, people don't just "pick up" a couple of Cohiba Sublimes. Without pictures, there is about a 99% chance of them being fake just because of what they are.
    Ah, good call, font is too thin, right?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    SleevePlz:
    Ah, good call, font is too thin, right?
    That and the real deal is a sans-serif font. image
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Tony is 100% right. There are all sorts of errors in the band as well. If you want a complete breakdown, we can do that on What Embargo, a Cuban cigar show we do on Cigar Federation. The reality is it is fake. If you want to email me pictures at dustin@cigarfederation.com I can give you specifics.

When it comes to cigars like this, if it is too good to be true, it probably is. As someone stated, Cohiba Sublimes just do not show up often. This is a $60-$100 cigar depending on market value, and the are extremely rare. That makes them a prime target for counterfeiters.
  • TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
    Cool, thanks for all the information. It still looks and smells good. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TwoThingism:
    Cool, thanks for all the information. It still looks and smells good. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.
    My son went to the Caribean a couple years back, sent me some very similar cigars, probably fake, too good to be true, etc., but, they were very good. He asked me what I thought on smoking them, if I hadn't seen the label, I'd have said Dominican. What the heck, enjoy it!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Tony is 100% right. There are all sorts of errors in the band as well. If you want a complete breakdown, we can do that on What Embargo, a Cuban cigar show we do on this other site. The reality is it is fake. If you want to email me pictures at dustin@thisothersite.com I can give you specifics.

When it comes to cigars like this, if it is too good to be true, it probably is. As someone stated, Cohiba Sublimes just do not show up often. This is a $60-$100 cigar depending on market value, and the are extremely rare. That makes them a prime target for counterfeiters.
    fixed!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    Tony is 100% right. There are all sorts of errors in the band as well. If you want a complete breakdown, we can do that on What Embargo, a Cuban cigar show we do on this other site. The reality is it is fake. If you want to email me pictures at dustin@thisothersite.com I can give you specifics.

fixed!
    hahahaha you know you rock the stickers on your ride bro!
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:

fixed!
    hahahaha you know you rock the stickers on your ride bro!
    shhhh. Dont tell.