Home Cigar 101

What is the purpose of the shaggy foot?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been reading about them and searching for an answer to this question but I haven't found the answer. (I did find a rapper named Shaggy.) Why make a cigar with a shaggy foot?

Comments

• New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I've not had one myself...but would it make lighting easier, and smoother? Allow the filler to light more "naturally" (not sure that's the right word). I'd thing if you get the "shag" going, it will light the stick itself in much less heat than a torch.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something to do with lighting is what I think, too. Imagine having to light your cigar with a coal of fire held in a pair of tongs, I think the shaggy foot would help smooth that out. Just guessing, though.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this short explanation online, Bob. Don't know how solid it is, but it made sense to me...

" You may have a cigar you’ve seen at a shop or in our catalog that looks “unfinished” at the foot... To simplify it, “shaggy foot” cigars are when the filler tobaccos hang out of the foot protruding from underneath the wrapper like Tabak Especial by Drew Estate. This practice started decades ago in Cuba and adds a layer of complexity to the blend. Instead of tasting all three components of the cigar, you start off with tasting just the filler tobacco. As the cigar burns down, all three components start to burn in unison presenting a whole new flavor to your palate. The “shaggy foot” concept can also be done when the wrapper of the cigar hangs past the fillers as well like with the Man O’ War Puro Authentico. With this method, you get to taste the wrapper prominently when you first light the cigar as opposed to the fillers."

Yeah, baby!!!

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the shaggy foot. You get to experience the filler and later see how it changes when you hit the binder and wrapper. Significant change and very interesting. Strongly recommend you try one out and see for yourself. It is a fun experience.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like shaggy-foot cigars. A couple are the taback especial (as mentioned in that quote) and the Viaje Summerfest. It's cool to taste the filler before the wrapper starts to burn, and there really is a difference. You can tell without looking at the cigar when the burn hits the wrapper and binder.

I don't think they are any easier to light. You have to be a little more careful not to torch the whole thing, but they shag usually lights up quicker than a typical foot.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    They probably just do it for the same reason they put extreme presses on some cigars...because they can.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Been reading about them and searching for an answer to this question but I haven't found the answer. (I did find a rapper named Shaggy.) Why make a cigar with a shaggy foot?

Looks cool, light easily, makes me feel manly. Enough said

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Marketing.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a few shaggy footed sticks. I like the idea of trying the filler on it's own. I remember reading the origin is in Cuba. The article explained it was done so the purchaser good see the tobacco that was used in the blend. Maybe so...maybe no.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poker Slob:
    I have had a few shaggy footed sticks. I like the idea of trying the filler on it's own. I remember reading the origin is in Cuba. The article explained it was done so the purchaser good see the tobacco that was used in the blend. Maybe so...maybe no.
    Yes, me too. (Not that I've tried one yet but I like the concept of being able to taste the contrast.) I've read that it's a good way to see what the filler tastes like before the binder and wrapper com into play. But like you said, this may be the reason, maybe not. Nothing I've read so far states any exact purpose. I've wondered to myself if it was a way to prove that the cigar contained long filler as opposed to short. Maybe?
    Bob Luken:
    Poker Slob:
    Yes, me too. (Not that I've tried one yet but I like the concept of being able to taste the contrast.) I've read that it's a good way to see what the filler tastes like before the binder and wrapper com into play. But like you said, this may be the reason, maybe not. Nothing I've read so far states any exact purpose. I've wondered to myself if it was a way to prove that the cigar contained long filler as opposed to short. Maybe?
    Maybe to it all. I still go for the "we do it because we can" and as a way to distinguish a cigar from another/marketing. The couple of shaggy feet I've had haven't had enough of a shag to really allow you to taste the filler alone all that much. By the time it's well toasted and ready to go, anyway. They're more like a low pile than a shag, really.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I've wondered the same about the closed foot. Seems like all that extra is gone well before it's fully toasted so does it really impact the flavor?
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Yes, shaggy and closed foot allow you to taste the different elements of the cigar on their own. I really like closed foot cigars. I love the way the wrapper tastes by itself. Someone also mentioned the Viaje Summerfest and that is a great illustration of the differences. Such a good stick and the filler/binder by itself really does shine but once you add the wrapper, yum yum yum.
    You know, I've been thinking. You could convert almost any cigar to a shaggy foot. It just needs a little creative trimming. Right?
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    You know, I've been thinking. You could convert almost any cigar to a shaggy foot. It just needs a little creative trimming. Right?
    Correct. I don't see why not. I may actually do this to the next Anejo I smoke.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I remember reading once that another reason for the shaggy foot is to give the feel of "old school rolled cigars". The rollers did a quick job on cigars that they intended to smoke, so trimming and a good look were not important. I can see how the flavor profile aspect can be considered too since there will be a definite profile change when all three ( filler, binder, wrapper ) are burning, and when they are not.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dug around the humidor and found I have a Gurkha and a couple Viaje left with the shaggy foot. The only downside to me is if there is no cellophane you have to be careful because little pieces will come off here and there. Not enough to damage the cigar but it leaves a little tobacco in the tray. I like a clean humidor.
    Bob Luken:
    I remember watching this a while ago.

Gray4lines:
    Bob Luken:

I may try this just for my own curiosity's sake.

• edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Shaggy Foot simply allows you to light up your cigars and taste what the filler is before the wrapper and binder flavors comes in.
    edelrionyc:
    Shaggy Foot simply allows you to light up your cigars and taste what the filler is before the wrapper and binder flavors comes in.
    Yes, nowadays that seems to be the only purpose, but the question is more of a historical one. Is tasting the difference the only reason the shaggy foot idea began? What about the first shaggy foots? When and why. We may never know. LOL
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Bob Luken:

no toast on the foot. then uses a torch and just starts puffing away.
    this will cause a hot light. it will take about an inch for it to settle in.

im not saying the guys base principal is wrong. im just saying he could experience it better if he has a slower softer light and if he didnt draw on it 4-6 times he took a puff.

kuzi16:
    Gray4lines:
    Bob Luken:

im not saying the guys base principal is wrong. im just saying he could experience it better if he has a slower softer light and if he didnt draw on it 4-6 times he took a puff.

I thought the same thing when I watched him light up. I prefer a slow roast. Not a flash fire.
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:

I thought the same thing when I watched him light up. I prefer a slow roast. Not a flash fire.
    I find it amazing the number of guys that light up this way. Even real cigar guys that work in or frequent B&M's. It just makes sense... if you burn the $hit out of it, it will taste like burnt $hit.
    Gray4lines:
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:

I find it amazing the number of guys that light up this way. Even real cigar guys that work in or frequent B&M's. It just makes sense... if you burn the $hit out of it, it will taste like burnt $hit.
    Yup. The flavor is just WAY better when you start slow. But I used to be like this guy. If not for some very helpful comments that I read here on ccom and a few helpful youtube videos I would still be torching and charring my sticks too. And this guy wasn't too bad. I've seen worse. You know, where you see guys stick that triple flame torch right on the foot and puff and puff and puff and next thing you know a big flare back-draft emerges from the foot and it's actually ablaze with flames and he has to blow on it to get the flame to go out? LOL. Makes me wonder if the quest by some BOTLs for stronger flavors in cigars isn't some attempt to overcome the harsh results of their lighting technique.
    Bob Luken:
    Yup. The flavor is just WAY better when you start slow. But I used to be like this guy. If not for some very helpful comments that I read here on ccom and a few helpful youtube videos I would still be torching and charring my sticks too. And this guy wasn't too bad. I've seen worse. You know, where you see guys stick that triple flame torch right on the foot and puff and puff and puff and next thing you know a big flare back-draft emerges from the foot and it's actually ablaze with flames and he has to blow on it to get the flame to go out? LOL. Makes me wonder if the quest by some BOTLs for stronger flavors in cigars isn't some attempt to overcome the harsh results of their lighting technique.
    Sure, we all had no clue at one time, and certainly you can light a cigar many ways. But sometimes I cringe when I see some get torched... I can't help but think you are right. I'm sure there are some guys who are convinced all cigars taste like charcoal for the first half of the stick, then tar the second half, lol!
    To keep in line with this thread, lighting a shaggy foot would probably make an "aggressive lighter" slow down. If you take a triple flame right on a shaggy foot, you will get a forest fire!