Home Ratings & Reviews

Joya De Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo

Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
imagephoto IMAG0394.jpg Good smoke. Easy draw hint of spice. Wrapper is oily but began to unravel 1/4 way through. Not as strong as I hoped.

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Damn bro, thats two sticks of mine you didnt like... keep up that streak and ill have to send you a fiver to make up for it!
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Just curious, what do you consider strong?
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Damn bro, thats two sticks of mine you didnt like... keep up that streak and ill have to send you a fiver to make up for it!
    Actually this one finished excellent. I wasnt too impressed halfway But it kept getting better as it went on. My blunder came after smoking the first and palate was shot .. 3 beers later I lit this one. The burn and draw also improved as it finished to the nub. I bought two more at my B&M and I added this to my mainstay rotation. Thanks Vinny
    bbass2:
    Just curious, what do you consider strong?
    Strong for me is flavor and depth. I'm fond of Ligero blends or straight ligero due to it's strength. A Cain Straight ligero, LFD double Ligero, etc. That feeling of, "Damn, I better sit back down" is what I'm after. Now one of the best ive had is an opus x I was given years back , and it blew my socks off, then I went to buy a box and about choaked when they were wanting $400 for a box! Lastly, when I was in Dominican Republic I found some El Ray Del Mundo Cubans...I almost puked it was so strong... :) LIFT THE EMBARGO!!!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like these can sneak up on you... they are full bodied, but like you said not super spicy or in your face. Depends how old they are too. Have you tried any LFD's? Like the colorado oscuro and cameroon cabinet? Those are strong, especially the colorado
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    You want a Nic-Kick?

JdN 1970 Consul or Gran Consul................let em sit for 2 months (at least) first

LHC Oscuro Fuerte Toro.......let these sit too

• Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Get the corona size if you want in your face, it's like taking a bat to the chin.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorites. I've had both the poderoso and peligroso sizes. I gotta say the peligroso was way better and stronger. I ended up buying a box last year. LOVE THEM!!
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Gaetano7890:
    Get the corona size if you want in your face, it's like taking a bat to the chin.
    every word of this is true.
    Gray4lines:
    Seems like these can sneak up on you... they are full bodied, but like you said not super spicy or in your face. Depends how old they are too. Have you tried any LFD's? Like the colorado oscuro and cameroon cabinet? Those are strong, especially the colorado
    I haven't tried many other LFD's. Everytime I walk into the ole B&M I'm like a magnet to the LFD Double Ligero Chistle. I have been wanting to try the airbender though. I need to branch out bad.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darktower007:
    Gray4lines:
    I haven't tried many other LFD's. Everytime I walk into the ole B&M I'm like a magnet to the LFD Double Ligero Chistle. I have been wanting to try the airbender though. I need to branch out bad.
    To me, the airbender is not as strong as some of the other LFD's. It is my favorite though. Definitely worth a try.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Have smoked a cigar or 3 nearly every day for 52 years. JdN Antano Dark Corojo El Martillo is my regular smoke. Love the shape, the flavor, the power,and a gorgeous wrapper. When I light a yucko cigar, or get a stick that does not draw, pitch it in the huckleberry bushes and get an El Martillo. Have stockpiled an armada of 200+ so I don't run out.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Couple things darktower:

1)The dark corojo was not meant to be a powerhouse. There is a big misconception that dark cigars(maduros or oscuros in particular) are stronger. It just isn't the case. You can have a dark cigar in super mild to gut wrenching full. If I remember correctly jdn describes this as medium-full.

2)It unraveled because you cut way too deep. Looks like you cut the entire cap off, most cigars will unravel when you do that. You want to cut the least amount you can off leaving the outer edges of the cap in tact. If you struggle with that then buy a punch.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Couple things darktower:

1)The dark corojo was not meant to be a powerhouse. There is a big misconception that dark cigars(maduros or oscuros in particular) are stronger. It just isn't the case. You can have a dark cigar in super mild to gut wrenching full. If I remember correctly jdn describes this as medium-full.

2)It unraveled because you cut way too deep. Looks like you cut the entire cap off, most cigars will unravel when you do that. You want to cut the least amount you can off leaving the outer edges of the cap in tact. If you struggle with that then buy a punch.
    I have found myself using a punch more often lately. I like the way it changes the delivery of the smoke. Now you have to slow down too since you risk a nasty tar build-up in the reduced size of the opening. Then, just clip the cigar as you would have.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Yea I'm not a fan of the punch. I like my Xikar scissors but I basically do the same thing start with as tiny an opening as I can that still gives a good draw and cut more off if tar builds up.
    madurofan:
    Yea I'm not a fan of the punch. I like my Xikar scissors but I basically do the same thing start with as tiny an opening as I can that still gives a good draw and cut more off if tar builds up.
    You are correct. My cutting skills suck. Probably due to my 10 year old mangled cutter...or too many Bud Lights prior to cutting..lol Do you like the Xikar scissors? I have seen once folks putting the cutter on a flat surface, placing the cigar in the gap and cutting. Supposedly yeilding a perfect cut???
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Darktower007:
    madurofan:
    You are correct. My cutting skills suck. Probably due to my 10 year old mangled cutter...or too many Bud Lights prior to cutting..lol Do you like the Xikar scissors? I have seen once folks putting the cutter on a flat surface, placing the cigar in the gap and cutting. Supposedly yeilding a perfect cut???
    that is technically the way you should do it
    Money can't buy taste
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I used to do that and it worked fine with a thinner cutter. When I got the Xikar X8 the plastic was a little wider and made the cut a tad too deep, but not enough to ruin it.