Home Ratings & Reviews

Gran Habano Vintage 2002

WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
Such a lowly stick. Very inexpensive. Sold in mazos. So inexplicably tasty. It's been about a year since I've had one. I remember it being good. Just not this good. Slid the cedar strip off, punched a hole and lit it up for a good 50 seconds. Perfect draw. Billowing smoke. Through the nose no pepper burn initially, but a little comes through after an inch. Just honest tobacco flavor. It's Friday night so that means some Van Winkle to go along with it. I'm glad I revisited you.

Comments

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Yes, one of the best budget smokes that are worth probably double of what you paid for them with a year of rest. I haven't had one in about a year and a bit, but I don't remember much pepper or spice at all. Just a well rounded maduro with the usual barnyard smells and flavours.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you brought this up. I'll have to try one again. It's been awhile.
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    You have to wonder how much of that 2002 leaf they have. I first bought some 5 years ago.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite inexpensive sticks. Great chocolate flavors. I have experienced a couple of burn issues, but not often enough to turn me off to them.

• Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    This is a really good stick. If you haven't had the gran habano 3 sls then you should try it. It's also really good.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Thanatos0320:
    This is a really good stick. If you haven't had the gran habano 3 sls then you should try it. It's also really good.
    I haven't tried that one yet... but that and the azteca are on my to try list.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Second everything that was said. Have a couple in the humi now.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Three SLS was one of my first mazos years ago when it was still 3 Siglos. Really great for the money. Also the Corojo 5 is really tasty and can also be found very reasonably.
    ckrddsmke:
    Three SLS was one of my first mazos years ago when it was still 3 Siglos. Really great for the money. Also the Corojo 5 is really tasty and can also be found very reasonably.
    The 3 sls is my favorite gran habano. How is the 3 sls different from the 3 siglos? the only thing i know is that SLS is just an abbreviation for siglos.
    ckrddsmke:
    You have to wonder how much of that 2002 leaf they have. I first bought some 5 years ago.
    Well that and you have to wonder how much they are using per cigar. Depending on how much they use then it could last for a really long time. For example, look at the Camacho pre embargo. Camacho claims that there are only 4 bails left in the world. If camacho is still using the tobacco from the bails , which i doubt they are, and still have tobacco left when it's been 50+ years since the embargo then i don't see why gran habano can't keep making the vintage 2002 for many many years like camacho is doing with the embargo.
    They had to change the name due to legal issues Siglo that was being made by Frank Laneza. Good point I remember 4-5 years ago there was a RP Vintage that was being sold in massive quantities but marketed as limited quantities 10 year old leaf. Have you tried the GH Gran Reserve 3 series (2008, 2009, 2010).
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I bought a 20-packer of these, sight unsmoked. I thought it was one of the worst cigars I've ever smoked. Felt like I was smoking old newspaper covered with mud. Just awful. Ended up trading most of 'em.

Curiously enough, a couple months later I tried a GH Aztec someone had sent me in a trade. MUCH better, although nothing I would go out of my way for.
    ckrddsmke:
    They had to change the name due to legal issues Siglo that was being made by Frank Laneza. Good point I remember 4-5 years ago there was a RP Vintage that was being sold in massive quantities but marketed as limited quantities 10 year old leaf. Have you tried the GH Gran Reserve 3 series (2008, 2009, 2010).
    No, I haven't tried those. They're on my too try list. I hope their really good because i love honduran habanos
    They are different. Listed as full but really more medium. I know I have some of the 2010 let me check and I can pm you if you might want to try in a trade.
    ckrddsmke:
    They are different. Listed as full but really more medium. I know I have some of the 2010 let me check and I can pm you if you might want to try in a trade.
    As much as i'd love to i cant. I just got back into cigars and don't have much of anything. I probably have a total of 20-25 cigars? I smoke them faster than i can buy them and stock up. I do have some man o wars that are 4 years old and a few others that are 2-3 years old lol but i only have like 1 or 2 left of each.
    No biggie PM your addy I have more than I need.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Yes they can have burn and draw issues but often very tasty and at the price you can chuck it if you get a bad one.