Home Cigar 101

Pucks

ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
How often are you supposed to "fill" the humidor pucks? Its one of the small circle ones for a 35-50 humidor boxe... Also im using Dasani water is that ok for that or should i pick up a gallon of the distiled stuff?
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
    Normally if you see a drop off in your humidity. That means your pucks are running out of juice. And yes, you should use distilled water to prevent mold growth.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Since the pucks have no "visual" aspect to make life easy, just keep a close eye on your humidity. It will slowly start to drop...boom, refill time. The dasani is better than tap water, but you'll want to grab some distilled. A gallon will last you quite a while, and you'll be out of the woods in the mold department for the most part.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Distilled water and you'll want to get rid of that puck soon and replace it with beads, Bovida or Kitty litter before it starts growing mold. But with the foam pucks that come with the humi 50/50 solution is better than straight water.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    How often are you supposed to "fill" the humidor pucks? Its one of the small circle ones for a 35-50 humidor boxe... Also im using Dasani water is that ok for that or should i pick up a gallon of the distiled stuff?
    you do realize coke actually came out and said dasani is tap water! Ditch the puck!
    Money can't buy taste
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice would be to chuck the puck. Very cheap to replace. When I started I used those and upon closer inspection realized they just breed mold. Not good at all in my opinion and I was not willing to put my investment to risk by continuing to use those. As cheap as other methods are I am surprised that humidor manufacturers aren't getting away from those. Well, since my humidors have all been made in China I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Most high dollar quality humidors come with really nice gel or beads.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of my pucks came with or were converted to white "beads", which I think are gel.