Home Cigar 101

Humidor "How To" Question

For trying to "season" my humidor, from cigar.com I already received instructions such as to soak a sponge in distilled water, wipe-down the interior of the humidor, place the sponge on a plastic bag and place them in the humidor, replace parts, and keep the sponge in the humidor for 24 to 48 hours.

However! I don't know if anyone else sees something missing from those instructions, but I see something missing from those instructions, and I will put it in the form of a question as follows:

Should the humidor be opened or closed while the sponge is in it for 24 to 48 hours? 

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Closed
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    And don't put a wet sponge directly on the wood, put a plastic bag underneath it, you don't want too much moisture soaking into the wood.
  • Closed...Hmm...A one word sentence, so warm and informative, not to mention like waving a red cape in front of an English teacher because it's out there all by its lonesome.

Hmm...closed respondent, or closed humidor, or both?

If it's closed humidor, that's good. That's what my guess was for "seasoning" the humidor, but, like the saying goes, "If you don't know for sure, ask".

• j03cr

Right...like the instructions indicated "place sponge on plastic bag".

Agreed.  My guess is too much moisture is probably the reason why the smell of milldew got into my humidor, probably from before it was given to me...which is why I've sought and used answers to remove that smell, and now the only thing which remains is "seasoning" the humidor...which is now at the "sponge on a plastic bag" stage.

Thank you for your input.

• JZJZ Posts: 827
    I would place it on a small plate, like a coffee plate so I could be certain that there was no prolonged contact with the cedar.
  • gmill880:
    Closed
    LOL!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Arkad:

j03cr

Right...like the instructions indicated "place sponge on plastic bag".

Agreed.  My guess is too much moisture is probably the reason why the smell of milldew got into my humidor, probably from before it was given to me...which is why I've sought and used answers to remove that smell, and now the only thing which remains is "seasoning" the humidor...which is now at the "sponge on a plastic bag" stage.

Thank you for your input.

Yeah, must have skipped over that when I read your post...I was busy laughing at the first reply...good ole Gene.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    Closed
    I would have said the same... Great response...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Arkad:

Closed...Hmm...A one word sentence, so warm and informative, not to mention like waving a red cape in front of an English teacher because it's out there all by its lonesome.

Hmm...closed respondent, or closed humidor, or both?

If it's closed humidor, that's good. That's what my guess was for "seasoning" the humidor, but, like the saying goes, "If you don't know for sure, ask".

Hey Arkad sorry you didn't like my answer sometimes in my job I have to get to the point quick and don't have time to elaborate...I'm usualy a lot more "warm and informative" so don't judge me by that one post 'bro ...anyways good to see my brethren have expanded on this for me - thanks Gene
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand about seasoning and all but I have a dilema. I have a 150 capacity humidor maxed out with my cigars. So I managed to talk my wife into letting me purchase a new humidor and I threw some cigars into my order as well.

I have no room in my humidor for my new cigars. Is it wrong to place cigars in the new humidor while seasoning it?

I never seasoned my 150 capacity humidor and I have had it for a few months. My humidy and temp are constantly around 70 respectively. Should I go back and season this humidor also? My cigars are in great condition and I am not having any problems with moisture, dryness, uneven burn, or anything else. Thanks
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    No
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    my response would be, " if it ain't broke...."
  • If your first 150 count holds 70/70 leave it alone it's seasoned. Now with your new one, you should season it first, should only take about 24- 48 hours. in the mean time place your cigars in a zip lock they should be fine for a couple days. You can also fold up a paper towel moisten it with distilled water stick that in it's own zip lock and then place that open in the zip lock with the cigars. Did that make sense? If you need tips on seasoning search the forums,
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I now have a plan. Definitely going to season this smaller capacity humidor and leave my big boy as is since it ain't broke!