Home General Discussion

Collectible sticks

ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
Let's face it, we're all collectors. Although we do enjoy a good smoke, collecting is a big part of our hobby (habit, obsession). Even a newbie like me has realized that fact. If it weren't, cooler sales would be down across the country. I'm curious what those with more experience would consider prized additions to their collections and what rarities should someone new to cigars consider acquiring?
East Side 2015
KLMOW Badge 8/2014
Team Trident 2014

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Let's face it, we're all collectors. Although we do enjoy a good smoke, collecting is a big part of our hobby (habit, obsession). Even a newbie like me has realized that fact. If it weren't, cooler sales would be down across the country. I'm curious what those with more experience would consider prized additions to their collections and what rarities should someone new to cigars consider acquiring?
    Rarities? Why bother with them?
    Being new to cigars, rarities should be the last ones to consider, unless you come across killer deals on them.
    Once you have a good idea of what you like and want, then start considering HTF and rares.

Don't get me wrong, I go off on my little expeditions to find certain rare and HTF cigars, but I'm at that point that I buy more than I smoke.
    So a lot of times instead of buying bulk (boxes, 10 packs and samplers), I buy the cigars I'm actually looking for.

And even the HTF and rares I buy, I buy with the full intent on smoking them.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    ejgorman:
    Being new to cigars, rarities should be the last ones to consider, unless you come across killer deals on them.
    Once you have a good idea of what you like and want, then start considering HTF and rares.

Don't get me wrong, I go off on my little expeditions to find certain rare and HTF cigars, but I'm at that point that I buy more than I smoke.
    So a lot of times instead of buying bulk (boxes, 10 packs and samplers), I buy the cigars I'm actually looking for.

Let me rephrase, because I clearly misspoke. I'm not about to go out and buy a HMR (or any cigar) just to put in my humi so I can look at it once in awhile. Everything I buy, I intend to smoke eventually. I guess I'm more curious if there have been any recent limited releases that would be worth picking up before they become hard to find. Or examples of previous limited releases that people might be aging that they're glad they picked up when they were available.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
    ejgorman:
    0patience:
    ejgorman:

Let me rephrase, because I clearly misspoke. I'm not about to go out and buy a HMR (or any cigar) just to put in my humi so I can look at it once in awhile. Everything I buy, I intend to smoke eventually. I guess I'm more curious if there have been any recent limited releases that would be worth picking up before they become hard to find. Or examples of previous limited releases that people might be aging that they're glad they picked up when they were available.
    I see.
    I tend to go after things like Partagas 150 & 160.
    I shy away from any recent LE or HTF cigars. I might buy them if I come across them at a good price and the mood strikes me, but otherwise, I tend to look for ones that I've tried and know I like.
    The older ones are the ones that I get excited to find.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Okay, this is interesting. Some may curse once I say this. But, my prized additions are my goto cigars. For example Zino Embassey selection, El Titan De Bronze Redemption Maduro, Padilla 68' series, Perdomo Lot 23 Natural, illusione Empernay, Avo Classic, Davidoff Maduro, Nub Dubs, MOW Puro Authentico, MOW Ruination, J Fuego Origen, and Sencillo Platinum. What's that, 12 quality smokes IMO. If I ever run out of these, I would be crushed. These are my prized additions because I know I can count on them every time. As far as rare, CC's and limited cigars period. Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me :). Awesome topic, made me think about what I consider my prized selection. Rare stuff for me, is the challenge to obtain it so I can smoke it. Not to let it sit around. It's rare and limited, so it should be good. If that's the case, then I want to smoke it. This of course is my opinion on how I think of rare cigars. I will admit, I do put them to the side for good weather. I would hate to smoke a HTF or rare cigar and can't finish it or give it my full attention because of my smoking environment. That sucks.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like HTF and rare cigars because often they are amazing and stand apart from all others. But like Rick said it sure does suck when they are gone because that is it. So I buy them and try to get at least 2 with every intention to smoke them. They may sit for years but on a special ocassion they will get fired up. Everyone has to have go to cigars that are regular production. It would drive me mad if everything I had was a short experience to never have again. Though those experiences are fun and worth the moment IMO. I just know that I can always smoke these great go to cigars but I have special cigars for special events.

Beware though. Getting heavy into limited edition HTF can ruin your cigar fun. That is kind of why I took a 2 year break. I lost the fun. I was too stressed out trying to get all the HTF stuff and paying a fortune for it. Just had to have this one and that one and then I just let them sit there because I was too scared to smoke them up. I did end up sharing a few OR Zombies with good friends here since I managed a full box. Sharing HTF stuff is fun if you have plenty. But I wanted to get back to opening a Ccom magazine and getting excited about the samplers of quality sticks for a cheap price. Excited about 5 Vegas and the other budget brands that are wonderful cigars that won't break my budget or cause me stress searching for them. Not to mention I would put 5 Vegas Cask Strength up against all sorts of $10 and up cigars. Just using 5 Vegas as an example here.

Smoke what you enjoy!
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Alec Bradley fine and rare they are a limited release,I believe only once a year..since I've started smoking I buy one every time they release them.I may let them sit for a bit but I do smoke them..
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a relative newbie I would say I enjoy having a couple rare or hard to find cigars to look forward too. That Feral Pig, Viaje, or ISOM (all very rare to me) in the humi waiting for that perfect day where you can really enjoy it. I don't usually go searching for them, but occasionally I come across one and pick it up. As Rick said, I like to stock up on my go-to cigars and some of the new or boutique blends which will not break the bank. Pick a brand you like (Tat, Viaje, Fuente, etc) and make a wish list in case you come across something. Nice to have a couple laying in the humi for a special occasion, but too many good cigars out there to worry about a collection for me.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two kind if drinkers in the world. Those that walk into a bar and order the same two or three drinks every time. Then there are those like me that walk in a bar and say "make me your favorite drink" or "make me your house special" or "invent a drink just for me". I'm the same way with most things in life, cigars include. I would love it it someone surprised me with a couple of AF Hemingway sticks because these are se of my standby, comfort cigars but if you sent me something I've never tried I'd love you even more.

Not sure this makes sense but I don't seek comfort as much as experience.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    what rarities should someone new to cigars consider acquiring?
    I'll focus on this part of the question since it refers to you rather than me. I would wait until you find a brand that you like and then check out what LE stuff that brand has out. If you don't like Tats, I wouldn't recommend looking for their htf sticks. If you like the way Kelner blends, then check out the cool AVO/Davidoff/Zino sticks.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go to a BnM, (specially if it's a bnm that's been around for awhile) look for ziploc bags. There's a 50% chance that there's a collectable/htf stick in there. This is how I find them.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    danielzreyes:
    If you go to a BnM, (specially if it's a bnm that's been around for awhile) look for ziploc bags. There's a 50% chance that there's a collectable/htf stick in there. This is how I find them.
    Interesting. I thought my B&M was the only one to do that. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    danielzreyes:
    Interesting. I thought my B&M was the only one to do that. LOL!
    Eric ehehat, Dusty Fish and I herfed one time out here in Ca and we raided this bnm. All the treasures were in ziplocs.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR