Home Cigar 101

Humidification options

ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but I couldn't find a thread that was all-encompassing so to speak. I have already replaced the stock humidifier that came with my humidor with Xikar gel, but that round container takes up space that could be put to better use. I've been looking at Humicare Power Sticks, Xikar Drymistat and Heartfelt Humidity Tubes and wondering what people's experience has been with these?
East Side 2015
KLMOW Badge 8/2014
Team Trident 2014

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just my opinion, but In a desktop humidor (I'm assuming you have a desktop model,) I would use Boveda packets. The bovedas regulate to a predetermined RH and can be purchased in different RH ratings. They are supposed to absorb excess humidity in the humi when it rises above the RH rating that is stated on the packet, and release humidity when the RH in the humi falls below the stated RH rating on the packet. Also you could also use a combination of boveda packets together with gel sticks/pucks. The gel devices used in tandem with the Bovedas will help the Bovedas last a long time. You can lay the Boveda packets on top of or among your cigars (it's OK if they touch). As far as making room for a gel puck, that's just something you need to consider whether it's worth keeping in or leaving out. If your humidor is so full that you have no room for the puck, then I would suggest that you only use Bovedas.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humicare Power Sticks - Gel

Xikar Drymistat stick - Gel

Heartfelt Humidity Tubes - silica beads
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    This is just my opinion, but In a desktop humidor (I'm assuming you have a desktop model,) I would use Boveda packets. The bovedas regulate to a predetermined RH and can be purchased in different RH ratings. They are supposed to absorb excess humidity in the humi when it rises above the RH rating that is stated on the packet, and release humidity when the RH in the humi falls below the stated RH rating on the packet. Also you could also use a combination of boveda packets together with gel sticks/pucks. The gel devices used in tandem with the Bovedas will help the Bovedas last a long time. You can lay the Boveda packets on top of or among your cigars (it's OK if they touch). As far as making room for a gel puck, that's just something you need to consider whether it's worth keeping in or leaving out. If your humidor is so full that you have no room for the puck, then I would suggest that you only use Bovedas.
    My only reservations about the Bovedas are the cost. Do you know how long they last?
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Bob Luken:
    My only reservations about the Bovedas are the cost. Do you know how long they last?
    Beautiful thing about Bovedas. Lets say you need 2, buy 4. Put 2 in the humi....wait a few months. They will start to feel "crusty". When that happens, open the other 2, put them in the humi...pull the first 2 out. NOW! Get some tupperware. Large enough to hold the 2 bovedas, and a smaller container of water (distilled). Seal all 3 inside, and leave it alone...unless the water dries up.

By the time the 2nd two are "crusty", the first 2 are refreshed! Swap out and repeat.
    New Boots:
    ejgorman:
    Bob Luken:
    Beautiful thing about Bovedas. Lets say you need 2, buy 4. Put 2 in the humi....wait a few months. They will start to feel "crusty". When that happens, open the other 2, put them in the humi...pull the first 2 out. NOW! Get some tupperware. Large enough to hold the 2 bovedas, and a smaller container of water (distilled). Seal all 3 inside, and leave it alone...unless the water dries up.

By the time the 2nd two are "crusty", the first 2 are refreshed! Swap out and repeat.
    So essentially, they're rechargeable? That makes them a bit more enticing. Maybe I should just buy a cooler now and not worry about it. It's bound to happen sooner or later anyway, right? Lol
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
    ejgorman:
    New Boots:
    ejgorman:
    Bob Luken:

So essentially, they're rechargeable? That makes them a bit more enticing. Maybe I should just buy a cooler now and not worry about it. It's bound to happen sooner or later anyway, right? Lol
    Essentially, yes!

PS: Get the cooler....I didn't want to get one....I'm closing in one either - 1: a 2nd cooler 2: a larger 2nd cooler
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO get a cooler!! It's cheap and holds a ton!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    In retrospect, I probably should've jumped on here for advice before buying a humidor. Never imagined I'd be able to fill a 100 count humi tbh. Nor did I realize just how easy it would be to buy more cigars than I can possibly smoke in a year.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
    ejgorman:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    In retrospect, I probably should've jumped on here for advice before buying a humidor. Never imagined I'd be able to fill a 100 count humi tbh. Nor did I realize just how easy it would be to buy more cigars than I can possibly smoke in a year.
    Buahaha...welcome to the Ccom disease! I also have a 100ct, which was 1 stick away from overflowing. So...Cooler it was. Ran me about $40, was holding sticks in about 24hrs.