Home Cigar 101

Maintaining a cutter...

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
Okay, guys, I don't feel like searching and necroing a thread that may have already happened, so I'll just ask it instead.

How do you sharpen, clean, or otherwise maintain your cutters? How often do you do this?

Part of the reason I ask is because I have a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cigar cutter. I love it...it takes the guesswork out of "am I cutting too much cigar." But it hasn't been sliding as cleanly or cutting as easily as it used to. I've had it for about 14 months and haven't done a thing to it, but it's my primary cutting tool. I've had several cigars lose caps recently and I'm worried the cutter is pinching them off, rather than the cap being a problem. When it happened to a Gurkha, I was not shocked, but it also happened with a Padron 1964 and another couple as well.

Will the cold weather affect the cutter's performance? Do you need to lube them in any way?
Thanks.
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I always wipe the blades clean at the end of the day and also use super lube dry film on mine. Seems too work just fine... But I would send yours in since it is a lifetime warrenty
    Money can't buy taste
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I always wipe the blades clean at the end of the day and also use super lube dry film on mine. Seems too work just fine... But I would send yours in since it is a lifetime warrenty
    +1
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Alcohol and a Q Tip....been doing this for 20 years and it works on any kind. I still have a 99 cent cutter that cuts like the day I bought it with this method.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Alcohol and a Q Tip....been doing this for 20 years and it works on any kind. I still have a 99 cent cutter that cuts like the day I bought it with this method.
    can we get a bit more detail on how you do this? sounds like a great concept.

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    you maintain your cutters??? I knock the bits of tobacco off with my thumb... throw it away when I think it's kaput. I have a Xikar V cutter on the way... maybe I'll treat this one better.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    you maintain your cutters??? I knock the bits of tobacco off with my thumb... throw it away when I think it's kaput. I have a Xikar V cutter on the way... maybe I'll treat this one better.
    Yeah, I know, right? This was kind of my philosophy, but, as I started thinking about it, it seemed that you shouldn't have to throw away something like this.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    I love my Xikar V cutter that I got a few month ago. Just picked up the X8 last month as well.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Yeah, these do have a lifetime warranty...I probably need to dig out the info on that from the back of my accessories cabinet.

Cutters are pretty easy to take apart....I use a disinfectant alcohol and use a Q Tip to rub the exposed part of the blade if it's not easy to take apart....the liquid will not only dissolve the stains but it will also ensure that there is no transfer of "germs" after the cut is made back to your mouth. Think of how many cigars you're going to cut and a lot of us will put the cigar in our mouth...moisten it...then cut. Then we you think about borrowing somebodys cutter and vice versa...it just makes sense to sterilize it with the alcohol. I have Palios, Xikars, Boston Cutters, etc. and it only takes a couple of minutes to clean/sterilize the blade. Since the alcohol evaporates quickly you can swab the blade and even if it gets into the hidden portions of the cutter...it will evaporate and you can "work" the cutter back and forth as it dissolves any "crud" inside the cutter. That is what the Q Tip is for...to clean up any residual stuff.
    Martel:
    PAtoNH:
    Yeah, I know, right? This was kind of my philosophy, but, as I started thinking about it, it seemed that you shouldn't have to throw away something like this.
    Seriously guys, maintain your cutter and it will work like brand new. When you clean it off it will cut like it's supposed to and if you don't maintain it...the crud on it will cause the blade to make unclean cuts..tear the wrapper and cause problems. It's like your knives...you clean them so they will cut sharp.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Cutters are pretty easy to take apart....I use a disinfectant alcohol and use a Q Tip to rub the exposed part of the blade if it's not easy to take apart....the liquid will not only dissolve the stains but it will also ensure that there is no transfer of "germs" after the cut is made back to your mouth. Think of how many cigars you're going to cut and a lot of us will put the cigar in our mouth...moisten it...then cut. Then we you think about borrowing somebodys cutter and vice versa...it just makes sense to sterilize it with the alcohol. I have Palios, Xikars, Boston Cutters, etc. and it only takes a couple of minutes to clean/sterilize the blade. Since the alcohol evaporates quickly you can swab the blade and even if it gets into the hidden portions of the cutter...it will evaporate and you can "work" the cutter back and forth as it dissolves any "crud" inside the cutter. That is what the Q Tip is for...to clean up any residual stuff.
    i like the dry film lube since is cleans as it works! But your method seems good as well. Most dry lubes are microbial so the will fill in the divots and that makes for a nice cut
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the same as Cigary. A little alcohol will clean all the gunk off of the blades.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Cigary:
    Martel:
    PAtoNH:
    Seriously guys, maintain your cutter and it will work like brand new. When you clean it off it will cut like it's supposed to and if you don't maintain it...the crud on it will cause the blade to make unclean cuts..tear the wrapper and cause problems. It's like your knives...you clean them so they will cut sharp.
    Most of my cutters have cheap plastic ones… I guess I see them as disposable.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    Cigary:
    Martel:
    PAtoNH:
    Once you have a good cutter, you won't look back! I remember when I got my first name brand cutter. Holy crap... there really is a difference in how clean they cut.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    PAtoNH:
    Cigary:
    Martel:
    PAtoNH:
    Once you have a good cutter, you won't look back! I remember when I got my first name brand cutter. Holy crap... there really is a difference in how clean they cut.
    This is true. I was a punch guy until I got a xikar teardrop Xi2. Before that I had a few cheap plastic cutters that didn't perfom well and ruined some cigars so I usually stuck with a punch until a buddy of mine showed me his xikar and told me I wouldn't regret it if I bought one. Of course he was right. I have used some other types of cheap plastic ones since then that do OK but my xikar is the champ. As far as maintenance, I swab the crud away with alchohol only every 40 or so cigars. It doesn't get that dirty really. I just make sure the tobacco scraps are brushed away and it just keeps going and going like the energizer bunny.
    I used to shop at a place that handed out cutters and matches with purchases so I guess I've only purchased a couple over the years.

Not trying to hijack (but I will anyway)… any recommendations for a good punch? My old reliable bullet punch blade is starting to get dull.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had a xikar punch but anything by xikar is good.
    ive had a Xikar punch.
    i as a good punch
    i just dont like that style of cut anymore.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ive had a Xikar punch.
    i as a good punch
    what got you ot of the punch?

AJ
    dr_frankenstein56:
    kuzi16:
    ive had a Xikar punch.
    i as a good punch
    what got you ot of the punch?

AJ
    i couldnt use it on small ring gauge cigars or ones with tapered heads. i have a double guillotine on me at all times now. I can use it on anything.
    Thanks kuzi... I have a Xikar twist punch on the way. I like punch & v cuts for larger rg smokes. I only use guillotine for bellicose/pyramide shaped cigars. Th Xikar v-cut I ordered appears to be lost in transit or maybe out of stock... hate when that happens.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    I use rubbing alcohol on my punch and V-cuter. My double guillotine I blast with gun cleaner and then wash with dish soap and warm water. They cut like new every time.