Home General Discussion

Cigarette smokers...

I've been a cigarette smoker(menthols!) for 20 years. I picked up cigars a few months ago, and who knew? It's like Zyban. It took a few weeks of daily cigars, but cigarettes now taste absolutely disgusting to me. I'm down from a pack and a half to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day. Learning to appreciate good smoke made me realize how crappy and 'chemically' my Kools taste. It's funny, but I swear I can taste every chemical in a cig now.

I'm a few days from giving it up with no effort what so ever(this with just one cigar in the evening).

My question: are any of you ex cig smokers? Did cigars do it?

I smoked, and enjoyed menthol cigs for 20 years. I thought I could never quit. A couple months of good cigars, and cigs make me sick. I'm not saving any money, but a pack of my brand is $6.70. I spend less than that for a very decent cigar.

Comments

• good for you, maybe i should give my wife a robusto, everything else don't work.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    leemarshall337:
    My question: are any of you ex cig smokers? Did cigars do it?

I smoked cigarettes for about 40 years, quit once for about 3 1/2 years and then stupidly went back to them. To answer your question, no, cigars didn't do it. It took a heart attack and a 5-way bypass to send me on the cold turkey route. When I took up cigars I'd been a non-smoker for about 14 years.

The key, for me, is that one doesn't inhale a fine, handmade cigar. Oh, I suppose some folks do, but then ya can't legislate ignorance or stupidity, can ya?

Marty

• I smoked cigarettes for about a year and a half before I got into cigars, and since then I've bought a pack of cigs only twice. I smoke with one of my firends occasionally, and he always laughs at how I don't inhale cigs anymore.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Same here, cigars helped me kick cigarettes, it was extremely easy, although I was smoking about 3 cigars a day for the first week or so.
  • I prefer cigars alot more than cig's, however cigars have shown me how to enjoy a cig and what good tobacco tastes like..id rather not smoke cig's but alas i'm in love with nicotine and take it any way I can get it!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I used to smoke about 1 cigarette a day and when I started with cigars, then I just plain stopped... wasn't too hard to stop cigs, but I will NEVER go back
  • hmmm...guess I am one of the ignorant/stupid ones because I inhale some throughout a fine stick. Apparently it is not politically correct to do so, but, I enjoy them that way. Yep, cig smoker as well. Any type of smoking is a vice and not particularly healthy, but that is a choice we all make I guess.