Home Cigar 101

Salt test inconsistency

TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
Tried a salt test in a ziploc bag and never got the humidity more than 62-63%. Grabbed the same moist salt bottle cap and hygro and put them in a tupperware and there the humidity holds right at 72-73%.

What's up with that?

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    hole in the bag? I had to say it... I've started testing mine in tupperware because I'm paranoid about a leaking ziplock bag. Imagine the horror of thinking your hygrometer is 10% off.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how long did you leave it in the bag? 24 to 36 hours usually works best.

Marty

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Also make sure that there is some air in there as well, if there's not enough air in the bag that may also produce inconsistency...

I always use tupperware and leave it for 24 hours in a controlled temp... (no fluctuations)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    If there's no air pocket over the cap of salt, then the humidity can't circulate and will give a bad reading. I pull up the center of the bag with one hand, and seal it with the other hand making sure the top of the bag is not touching the lid.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Could be that the bag didn't have enough air in it. Every time I try the bag it is rather flat. But in the tupperware the hygro gets up to high 60's to 70ish in a matter of hours, then when I wake up it's at 73-74%. All in all about 10-11 hours usually. I figure if it's 72 when I go to bed and 74 when I wake up that's good enough.