Home Cigar 101

Mold in my electronic humidifier

Hi all,

Yesterday I checked the moisture in my electronic humidifier and there was a small amount of white mold on the foam. I have a Humi-Care XG1000 Pro. I have a cabinet that I keep my cigars in so I need a high capacity humidifier. Is there anything I can use to prevent this?

Thanks
Shawn

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    That foam crap always gets either mold or lime build up. Unfurtuanetly your only option is too keep changing it regularly. Depending on the size I would use fish tank filter ei. Whisper boi pads wth the charcol. I actually suggested this too a b&m and installed it and they have no problems at all now
    Money can't buy taste
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    make sure your using distilled water, no tap. wash your hands before handling the humidifier. it might help

Aj
  • manchunkmanchunk Posts: 7
    Thank you both. I will look into the fish tan k filler. I have no idea what it is, so thank God for google!
    Also yes I am using distilled water. This time I finished off with cigar juice, I think it has an anti mold in it..

Any other ideas are welcome

Thanks again
    Shawn
  • manchunkmanchunk Posts: 7
    Haha, I'm an idiot. I thought you wrote filler. Thats what happens when you forget your glasses. I found Tetra bio filters with charcoal. The foam block is about 3 inches tall, 9 inches long and 4-5 inches wide. Will filters work. I cant find any dimensions for them.

Thanks
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I forget the company but they make some blocks of the stuff you can cut too size
    Money can't buy taste
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it comes from the water you use. I think it comes from the air cycling thru it. Big honking filter thing in the room humidifier has the same prob. Had one on the old furnace, too. Eliminized when we replaced the furnace, cause the filter in that got too yucky to handle too fast to afford.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    How often do you actually pour out all the water and wash the tank out? I do it every 3-4 months and that keeps things running great. I'm going to check on the filters Lee, thanks.