Home Ratings & Reviews

Artisanal Reviews

BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
I have been wanting to get into the review game for quite some time now and finally decided to take the leap. Here you will find reviews on several different items including cigars (of course), single malt scotch and hand crafted brews. I want to celebrate my hobbies and passions and give a nice nod to those who take the time to make aritisanal goods for our consumption. I hope to update it pretty regularly and look forward to hearing the comments and feedback. Look for the first review to be up this weekend.

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its great when you can turn a hobby into something lots of people could benefit from. Good luck, I am looking forward to it.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it Jim, let 'er rip!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Can't wait!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good reviews have been slim these days
    Money can't buy taste
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always looking forward to a fresh perspective!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Yep, look forward to it. We will have to herf sometime in Sac and catch a Giants game.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it.
    I really like it when you guys do reviews.
    I find it interesting to see what different people's takes on certain cigars are.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting. I like the addition of single malt and beer.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Review Date: 3/1/2014
    Size: 4000-Torpedo-6 1/4 by 54
    Time In Humidor: 8/9 Months
    Accompanying Beverage: Water

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Colorado, Binder: Nicaraguan, Filler: Nicaraguan
    This cigar is from Cuban seen but is grown fully in Nicaragua. A boutique cigar but making its way into the mainstream pretty regularly and can be purchased for somewhere in the under $8.00 range (California) Pre Light: Caramel in color with no discernible veins or wrapper issues. In short, beautifully constructed.

1/3:I am immediately hit with soft creamy and vanilla notes. It has a slight woody characteristic but is very smooth. On the exhale I am noticing some hay and straw flavors. There are touches of sweetness every so often that I would equate with that of berries. The aroma was pleasant with soft wood notes.

2/3: As this cigar moves into the 2/3 often termed, the sweet spot of the cigar, it has picked up some spice. Not enough to make your tongue tingle but enough to let you know its there. Sadly the sweetness that was present every so often was replaced with a cedar and wood profile that was good but man the sweetness was fantastic while it lasted. Almost a reprieve from normal cigar flavors. It is burning well but not perfect. It didn't require touching up but it isn't razor straight.

3/3: Entering the homestretch it has turned to all wood and leather flavors and the sweetness and spice have left. There is no harshness but it has become one dimensional towards the end. It has found the mild strength profile with spots into the medium but nothing heavy at all.

As this cigar comes to an end I immediately think that this cigar has no specific occasion and could be enjoyed at almost anytime. I could find this cigar as someone's morning stick with a coffee, a mid summer day stick in the shade or an after dinner enjoyment to settle the best of meals. This cigar would be box worthy for me if I had the room and time to age them. It is a definite fiver buy without blinking an eye. I won't give a score rating but I would not hesitate in the least to make sure this stick was in my regular rotation. Enjoy!
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    These are great for mild medium fans like myself. Spend enough time realizing you're a mild strength guy who likes the nuances of mild but flavorful smokes, and curivari is hitting home runs. Try all their lines. These are legal here, and when you want to expand...hit the interwebs. Plenty of other smokes that aren't aiming for the put you on your knees strength plus big ring gauge BS. Flavor over power, thin rings over jawbreakers. Nuff said.
    Very nice Jim, well done!
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review! Thanks for posting.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not had a Cuivari, but your review makes me wanna find some! That initial sweetness sounds like a real winner. I wonder if it'd stick around longer with some more age on it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Camacho Corojo

It is well known now about the rebranding of the Camacho brand and I must say while I like the old school style of the old Camacho brand it is hard to dislike the redo of the brand with this cigar specifically as the contrasting red band and deep chocolate color of this cigar is eye catching to say the least. The band is a little large for my taste but I would say I like the re-branding.

Size: Robusto 50 x 5
    Wrapper: 5th priming corojo
    Binder: Corojo
    Filler: Corojo

Honduran Puro with all corojo leaves.
    Price: $7.50ish
    Accompanying Drink: Water
    Looks: Deep Chocolate brown with great construction
    Pre Light: Spice on the lips (no surprise), Chocolate and berries on the draw.

1/3: Right out of the gate this thing lets you know it came to play. Roasted coffee, leather, and wood all present and spice is all over this thing. The smoke is light and the room note is spicy yet comforting. The burn is sharp and the ash is tight and gray. The construction on this thing is unreal.(see below)
    2/3: Entering the second third and cedar and wood notes are at the forefront and the spice is ever present as before. The spice isn't overpowering but it is bordering on it and it is even lingering on the palate between draws. The ash has hung around to the mid way point easily.
    3/3:The final third of this cigar continued in the same realm as the 2/3 third and is definitely an intense experience. Not the fullest cigar I have ever had but it is definitely up there. Between the spice and full body it is no doubt in the full category. Even though it is a full cigar it was one of those experiences I don't want to end. The burn, construction, price point and flavors are all there during this cigar.
    Final Thoughts: I could see this being enjoyed with w round of golf or at a poker table with your buddies. It is definitely not for everyone (Spice and Fullness) but had an overwhelmingly comforting feeling that only come from your closest confidants. Enjoy!!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    Camacho Corojo

It is well known now about the rebranding of the Camacho brand and I must say while I like the old school style of the old Camacho brand it is hard to dislike the redo of the brand with this cigar specifically as the contrasting red band and deep chocolate color of this cigar is eye catching to say the least. The band is a little large for my taste but I would say I like the re-branding.

Size: Robusto 50 x 5
    Wrapper: 5th priming corojo
    Binder: Corojo
    Filler: Corojo

Honduran Puro with all corojo leaves.
    Price: $7.50ish
    Accompanying Drink: Water
    Looks: Deep Chocolate brown with great construction
    Pre Light: Spice on the lips (no surprise), Chocolate and berries on the draw.

1/3: Right out of the gate this thing lets you know it came to play. Roasted coffee, leather, and wood all present and spice is all over this thing. The smoke is light and the room note is spicy yet comforting. The burn is sharp and the ash is tight and gray. The construction on this thing is unreal.(see below)
    2/3: Entering the second third and cedar and wood notes are at the forefront and the spice is ever present as before. The spice isn't overpowering but it is bordering on it and it is even lingering on the palate between draws. The ash has hung around to the mid way point easily.
    3/3:The final third of this cigar continued in the same realm as the 2/3 third and is definitely an intense experience. Not the fullest cigar I have ever had but it is definitely up there. Between the spice and full body it is no doubt in the full category. Even though it is a full cigar it was one of those experiences I don't want to end. The burn, construction, price point and flavors are all there during this cigar.
    Final Thoughts: I could see this being enjoyed with w round of golf or at a poker table with your buddies. It is definitely not for everyone (Spice and Fullness) but had an overwhelmingly comforting feeling that only come from your closest confidants. Enjoy!!
    I've been seeing these at the local B&M, I haven't tried one yet, because the huge band turns me off, but I think I'll have to pick up a couple based on your review.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Can you compare it to the old blend?
    perkinke:
    Can you compare it to the old blend?
    Wish I could. Didn't have the corojo in the old line just the triple maddy.
    The Balvenie Doublewood 12 years-
    Prepared: Both Oak and Sherry Casks.
    In the Glass: 3 ice cubes
    Nose: Spice with wood (oak) no peat at all.

The first couple of sips and I can remember why this is always in my cabinet. There is a nice spice without being overpowering and finishes with a nice sweetness that I place at honey and even some berries. There isn't any harshness. As the glass becomes colder from the ice I do notice that it smoothes out even further if that is possible. I find this single malt interesting because with 12 years they are still young and this seems to have no ill effects of its age.

I would say this single malt is great for a beginner, little more sweetness than peat which can be overpowering, but great as a go to as well. I always have a bottle on hand for any occasion. At a price point of $39.00 per bottle I cant find a reason not to have one. Enjoy!
    AB Fine and Rare

Price:$15.00ish
    Drink: Water

Looks: Caramel Brown with some light veins, Cello is browned.
    Pre Light: Light wood and cedar with great tobacco flavor, draw perfect.image
    1/3: Great tobacco flavor with some spice, not a peppery spice but it does have some zip to it. The smoke is plentiful and coats the palate rather nicely but isn't too thick. As this stick continues the spice on the palate lingers nicely and is very flavorful. The burn is good with some slight wavering. There is even a nice sweetness on the retro.image
    2/3:Entering the 2/3 and the spice is coming along nicely. The ash is fairly tight but flakes over every so often. The flavor continue with wood and earth through the 2/3. UH OH....the fatal pop?, the wrapper has popped about a half inch about the burn line but the show must go on.
    Transitioning into the homestretch and it has picked up some heft in the strength and smoke output but is definitely a mild to medium cigar for me. The smoke is even nice and chewy at this point. It ends with some of the nice sweet notes that continued to linger earlier on but now come with some spice. A nod to the manufacturer as the wrapper popping corrected itself,
    Final Thoughts: This cigar for me was nice and I enjoyed the flavors but I would have a hard time paying MSRP for these. In all honesty I was expecting more from AB's most luxurious cigar. I wasn't moved enough to go out and find a fiver, but I wouldn't turn one down as it was a nice experience. Enjoy!
    Cigar: Cigar Federation The Collective

Time: 3 weeks
    Price:$10.99

Looks: Milk Chocolate and a light coffee roast. Has some veins in the shape of a box press
    Pre Light: Sweet on the draw with some cherry flavor.

Wrapper: Mexican San Andres Caf
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I've had two now. I was not to impressed with it in regard to complexity or depth, but it def has a flavor going on that is unique. My experience with Behike tells me it will take time for the medio tiempo to settle really. Once that settles, I have a feeling it will balance out a bit more. I have a box that I will age a while, and three more from a fiver I will revisit later this year.
    Cigar: La Palina Mr. Sam

Price: $12.00

Looks: A light Caramel color without any veins. Firm but not rock solid to the touch. The band on this cigar is ornate but not obnoxiously fancy.
    Pre Light: Spicy and Sweet Tobacco

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler:Nicaraguan

1/3: Its the first few draws and I can already tell this thing came to play. Their is a lingering sweetness after the draw and exhale that is intoxicating, although I cant quite put my finger on the taste. The smoke is medium and plentiful, and not heavy or chewy. It simply puts a nice coat on your tongue and is smooth as can be. The ash is tight and white holding for about two inches. It is complex and smooth at the same time and isn't overpowering the palate.
    2/3:Moving into the 2/3 and the complexity is continuing. Earth, cedar and leather all coming through clearly but it never ventures too much into any one flavor, this thing is balanced to perfection. After the ash fell there was a nice peppery spice that showed up through the retrohale and after completing a draw.
    3/3: I am in the final third I am simply wishing for this not to end. As I am finishing the last 15 or so draw and an unexpected citrus flavor shows up and now I think to myself, damn, had that showed up earlier it would have taken this thing to new heights in my opinion, not that it needs any help to get any higher on my list of favorites. A citrus flavor that I have only had in one other stick to be exact, AF Opus X. It finishes perfectly, not hot as many cigars get towards the end.

Final Thoughts: I have mentioned before I am not a box purchaser due to the vast list of things I want to try, not having enough time to always enjoy a cigar and space. This stick changed that opinion instantly upon finishing. I went and found a box immediately. That should tell you where I think this ranks for me. Enjoy!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    Cigar: La Palina Mr. Sam

Price: $12.00

Looks: A light Caramel color without any veins. Firm but not rock solid to the touch. The band on this cigar is ornate but not obnoxiously fancy.
    Pre Light: Spicy and Sweet Tobacco

Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler:Nicaraguan

1/3: Its the first few draws and I can already tell this thing came to play. Their is a lingering sweetness after the draw and exhale that is intoxicating, although I cant quite put my finger on the taste. The smoke is medium and plentiful, and not heavy or chewy. It simply puts a nice coat on your tongue and is smooth as can be. The ash is tight and white holding for about two inches. It is complex and smooth at the same time and isn't overpowering the palate.
    2/3:Moving into the 2/3 and the complexity is continuing. Earth, cedar and leather all coming through clearly but it never ventures too much into any one flavor, this thing is balanced to perfection. After the ash fell there was a nice peppery spice that showed up through the retrohale and after completing a draw.
    3/3: I am in the final third I am simply wishing for this not to end. As I am finishing the last 15 or so draw and an unexpected citrus flavor shows up and now I think to myself, damn, had that showed up earlier it would have taken this thing to new heights in my opinion, not that it needs any help to get any higher on my list of favorites. A citrus flavor that I have only had in one other stick to be exact, AF Opus X. It finishes perfectly, not hot as many cigars get towards the end.

Final Thoughts: I have mentioned before I am not a box purchaser due to the vast list of things I want to try, not having enough time to always enjoy a cigar and space. This stick changed that opinion instantly upon finishing. I went and found a box immediately. That should tell you where I think this ranks for me. Enjoy!
    nice review the mr sam is one of my faves from the line!! Too bad they are htf!!
    Money can't buy taste
    They can be Lee for sure. I do know they are coming out with several different sizes due to demand I would definitely like to try one of each size but would track down the original size first when they release.
    Talk about crack... Mr. Sam is full on pimpin
    Felt the same way and my box just arrived yesterday. It's a perfect size to me, because it keeps me wanting more every time. I can only say that about a handful of cigars.
    Bigshiz- No doubt it is pimpin.

Blu- Box was a good choice for sure. It will be interesting to see how they age.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice reviews. It's always good seeing reviews on the countless cigars I want to smoke. I'll add them want to truist.... Thanks!
    Darktower007:
    Nice reviews. It's always good seeing reviews on the countless cigars I want to smoke. I'll add them want to truist.... Thanks!
    Send me your address, I think I can get you one to try.
    Room 101 Daruma Lancero

Size: 7 x 38
    Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
    Filler: Domican Republic and Honduran

Time: 6/7 months (my humidor)
    Price: $8.25
    Drink: Pranqster Ale
    Appearance: Dark Roasted Coffee in color
    Pre-Light Draw: Dark Chocolate

1/3:The first couple of draws and this is matching the pre light draw perfectly, dark chocolate sweetness. Other than the dark chocolate sweetness there isn't much to taste, and while I am normally a huge fan of Room 101 stuff I think this may have been in the humidor too long. The flavors seem very muted, but everything else about the stick is spot on, burn ash and draw are great. This, admittedly, is my first lancero and I it taking all of my patience not to rush this cigar. It is very mild and there is no harshness at all. It is coating the palate nicely but not leaving much after taste.
    2/3:I am beginning to think I may have spoken too soon. Into the 2/3 and this is not only dark chocolate but its also roasted coffee. I don't know if its because I really like both flavors or the flavors are playing nicely off of each other but this thing is singing. The flavors are like a nice food and wine pairing if you will, alike in such a way that they complement each other, different enough to keep you guessing but not polar opposites so they clash. The quote sweet spot of this cigar is beautiful.
    3/3:As this cigar is coming to a close there continues to be a sweetness present but it has changed to a berry sweetness. Definitely more towards the natural sugar sweetness and not the smoky sweetness of a dark chocolate. There is also some wood notes that are showing up in the retrohale.
    Final Thoughts: I was a shaky start to this Lancero but the second and third thirds seemed to really save this cigar. I have had this in the Papi Chulo size and remembered I liked it but in my opinion two different cigars interesting how the size difference can contribute to this. If you are a lancero or a coffee/espresso drinker I would highly recommend these definitely in fiver or two fiver for that matter. Enjoy!