Home Cigar 101

Humidor

I recently ordered the sampler and 20 ct humidor from cigar.com. This is my first humidor and I can definetely see why everyone recommends purchasing a much larger humidor, but for now it will have to do. It seems that the humidity level is way off and I'm not sure if I seasoned it properly, or the round humidifier has not soaked in distilled water long enough. I have a shipment of cigars coming in the next few days and want to make sure the humidor will keep them from drying out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    mcadenhead:
    I recently ordered the sampler and 20 ct humidor from cigar.com. This is my first humidor and I can definetely see why everyone recommends purchasing a much larger humidor, but for now it will have to do. It seems that the humidity level is way off and I'm not sure if I seasoned it properly, or the round humidifier has not soaked in distilled water long enough. I have a shipment of cigars coming in the next few days and want to make sure the humidor will keep them from drying out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike
    Hi Mike. Also WELCOME!
    I need to know a few things before I can offer any help.
    Do you have a digital hygrometer? If not get one, as the mechanical type won't give you the piece of mind that your cigars are well maintained.
    What is the present RH % of your humidor? You mentioned it was "way off" but in which direction? Too high, too low?
    How did you season your humidor? Did you wipe it down? Use distilled water?
    If you can provide a little more info. Mike, we can get that humi all ready for those new arrivals, in time.

PS, drop by the new members thread and introduce yourslef when you get a minute Mike.
  • I currently do not have a hydrometer. I'm assuming I can purchase one at my local cigar shop? I wiped it down with distilled water, and soaked the humidifier for about 2 hours. I've read suggestions about leaving a sponge soaked in distilled water in the humidor for 48 hours. I did not do this. Would the humidifier do the same thing?
    mcadenhead:
    I currently do not have a hydrometer. I'm assuming I can purchase one at my local cigar shop? I wiped it down with distilled water, and soaked the humidifier for about 2 hours. I've read suggestions about leaving a sponge soaked in distilled water in the humidor for 48 hours. I did not do this. Would the humidifier do the same thing?
    This has been discussed here lately. I am guessing that your humidity is way high? The humidifier shouldn't be soaked for that long I don't think. You can just leave your humi open for a day or so and keep checking the RH.
    Yes you can get a digital hygro at a cigar shop but chances are you could get one from Heartfelt (and you could get some beads for humidification at the same time) as fast and cheaper.
    Most guys here don't use those humidifiers as they are too much work to maintain (if it is the kind that came with the Humi) and switch to beads. Checkout Heartfelt at this link... http://heartfeltindustries.com/
    You will learn lot's there. Keep us updated and you can still get there before your sticks need a new home.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that website info. Very informative!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Just my .02:

I'm pretty sure I have the same 20ct humidor that you're referring to. I too had some issues getting my humidity right, but after letting it sit with a shot glass of distilled water in it for about a week, it held fine at 70%. Now with it full of sticks and some 65% Heartfelt beads it holds perfectly at 65%. Don't worry too much about it my friend - follow the advice you'll find here, stick around a while, and you'll soon find yourself not only resplendent in sticks, but surrounded by friends as well.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Thanks for the great advice everyone. Is the consensus that the beads work better than the round humidifier that came with the humidor?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    mcadenhead:
    Thanks for the great advice everyone. Is the consensus that the beads work better than the round humidifier that came with the humidor?
    not only yes, but HELL yes. When I buy a humidor, there are 3 mandatory things I always buy for it.

1. Digital Hydrometer
    2. BEADS from Heartfelt, sooo much better than foam.
    3. of course, more cigars ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    mcadenhead:
    Thanks for the great advice everyone. Is the consensus that the beads work better than the round humidifier that came with the humidor?
    not only yes, but HELL yes. When I buy a humidor, there are 3 mandatory things I always buy for it.

1. Digital Hydrometer
    Agreed. Oh, and I forgot to mention: You can find digital hygrometers all over the place, but WalMart has one for $7 that's been working great for me and a couple of other fellas. Springfield Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    mcadenhead:

1. Digital Hydrometer
    especially the 3rd one, which is why I get in so much trouble....
  • So, I stopped by my local shop today and think I learned my mistake. I used purified water instead of distilled. I guess we all have to learn from our mistakes. I bought a new humidifier and another, much larger, humidor. My new shipment will have a home!
    mcadenhead:
    So, I stopped by my local shop today and think I learned my mistake. I used purified water instead of distilled. I guess we all have to learn from our mistakes. I bought a new humidifier and another, much larger, humidor. My new shipment will have a home!
    As far as your RH problems go...water is wet, regardless of being purified or distilled. That would have NOTHING to do with your over humidification problems.
    You can clean the inside of your wrongly treated Humi with alcohol as this will kill any bacteria so mold won't be a problem later. Then you can re-season it properly and use it for an overflow humi.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Hey I'm right in the same boat with you man. I was doing pretty good with my thirty count or whatever size it is. After getting some rocking deals from splits and recently found ones I need a new one. And just got the needed stuff to make it run right.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Thewelder:
    Hey I'm right in the same boat with you man. I was doing pretty good with my thirty count or whatever size it is. After getting some rocking deals from splits and recently found ones I need a new one. And just got the needed stuff to make it run right.
    Don't worry. You'll get a larger humidor, fill it, and then ask yourself, "why the hell did I buy ANOTHER small humidor?" and then you'll get a coolidor, fill it, and then ask yourself, "why the hell did I buy the 48 qt cooler and not the 75 qt?" True story.
  • I bought a digital hygrometer, and a new humidifier. The hygrometer is reading 64 degrees, and 66% humidity. Is this where I want it? What are they optimal numbers?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    mcadenhead:
    I bought a digital hygrometer, and a new humidifier. The hygrometer is reading 64 degrees, and 66% humidity. Is this where I want it? What are they optimal numbers?
    If the Hygrometer is CALIBRATED then yes it's in the realm of acceptable.... The golden rule is 70/70 but my Golden rule is 68/65%.....
    Lasabar:
    mcadenhead:
    I bought a digital hygrometer, and a new humidifier. The hygrometer is reading 64 degrees, and 66% humidity. Is this where I want it? What are they optimal numbers?
    If the Hygrometer is CALIBRATED then yes it's in the realm of acceptable.... The golden rule is 70/70 but my Golden rule is 68/65%.....
    Yup, those are around the same numbers I look for.
    Mike, just make sure your Hygrometer is calibrated properly so you know your readings are accurate, but those numbers would make me smile when I looked in my humi and saw them.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    mcadenhead:
    also maduro cigars seem to burn better at lower than 70 rh, from my experience...
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    hmmm, I was having trouble along the same lines, mine wouldn't go above 50rh so I replaced both the humidifier and the hydrometer. now it's going the other direction, my readings are 70º 76rh which is super high. I think I need a smaller humidifier lol... good thing I'm paranoid and got three in different sizes.