Home Non Cigar Related

Music Interests

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    So then would it be overreaching to say that although they are a superb product with excellent performance, perhaps part of the draw is the prestige of owning a $50,000 set of speakers? Not to mention the equipment driving them?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Certainly. I mean, you have to understand how much is involved with speakers like that. As you mentioned, somebody who owns those is going to have, oh, at least twice that in the equipment driving them. And by "equipment" I mean only amp(s), preamp, cd player (or turntable), and cables; a man can spend $8-9k just on a pair of speaker cables.

But even then you're just at the beginning. There's no point buying that kind of setup if you don't have a dedicated, purpose-built listening room for it. Then you've got the separate electrical mains to run it off of. And so forth.
    That's incredible. To those with the means and desire, I say more power to them. I'll never quite understand the audiophile mindset, but I certainly won't begrudge their pleasure.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I wouldn't mind that kind of set up....even though my ears can only hear between the ranges of 20Hz - maybe 18kHz, the sonic waves have to feel good on the skin! Then again, I'd be happy with a nice pair of KRKs
  • Huge metal and classic rock fan here. A general idea Pink Floyd The Beatles Rush Ted Nugent Opeth Cannibal Corpse Death Amon Amarth Obituary Entombed Judas Priest Metallica The list could go much longer...
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Certainly. I mean, you have to understand how much is involved with speakers like that. As you mentioned, somebody who owns those is going to have, oh, at least twice that in the equipment driving them. And by "equipment" I mean only amp(s), preamp, cd player (or turntable), and cables; a man can spend $8-9k just on a pair of speaker cables.

But even then you're just at the beginning. There's no point buying that kind of setup if you don't have a dedicated, purpose-built listening room for it. Then you've got the separate electrical mains to run it off of. And so forth.

You also have to have cable elevators to get those 9k speaker cables off the floor. An AC cord that is about 6 Gauge, a hospital grade receptecle and yes dedicated lines for the Digital and power - with ac power conditioners. What about the interconnects - can't skimp there. :)

I probably do have 20K in my tunes, but no analog which is noticeable better. But I just can't bring myself to pay another 30 bucks per album. I did skimp, so to speak, on the interconnects and speaker cable. I did however run seperate ac lines to the digital and power amps with hospital grade receptacles, but I did it myself, so the cost was probably about 100 bucks.

There is more than just the frequencies you can hear. There is a thing called sound stage depth and width. Does the music reside outside the speakers. Can you hear the individual instruments in space. Does the sax sound behind the speakers and to the left - is the guitar to the right and front... etc... Does the musical sound analytical or does it sound musical. :)

I purchased my last stuff about 3 years ago and have no regrets. It's just what you like and what's important to you. I do like it! - But we are in a world with mp3 files :) Different strokes..
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    You'll get no argument from me. Sounds like a sweet setup. As for me, basically, I finally realized I was never going to be able to set up a proper listening room, so I adjusted my expectations and went for simplicity.
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    My room is far from perfect, but you have to live there. Well I have to live there.

I did see a guy's set up in his basement. He had 40 K strads and all the ancillary equipent. Glowing tubes, REL sub, 1 ft diamter speaker cables held up by small bridges... :) Actually he was in Audiogon's dream system or satisified for now - one of the virtual systems... Anyway, each speaker along with the sub - was marked with tape as well as a single chair's placement - which sat in the perfect center position... One chair... I did sit in the CHAIR and it did sound wonderful, but.... seemed a bit excessive. I kind of was thinking perhaps some electrostat headphoness and a headphone amp - perhaps knock off like 95K off the system price. But hey... :) Guess he's got the cash and it makes him happy - Hell I'm just jealous. He was like 45 and retired...
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    If you like Megadeth and don't already have it or have not heard of it, get the new album Endgame. Its friggen awesome. Mustaine and Friedman shred on this one.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are my absolute favorites and by no means encompass all that I listen to. I like everything except rap. Alice in Chains Stone Temple Pilots Scott Weiland Sevendust Shinedown Trapt Chevelle A Perfect Circle Brian "Head" Welch Metallica Black Eyed Peas Eric Clapton CCR Enya Alicia Keys
  • I have eccentric tastes, me thinks. Just some of what *I* consider classic:

AC/DC - Back in Black
    Alice in Chains - Dirt
    Andrew Lloyd Webber - The Phantom of the Opera
    Beethoven - Symphony No. 9
    Coldplay - Parachutes
    Deftones - White Pony
    DJ Micro - Tech-Mix Live
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Dream Theater - Awake
    Duke Ellington - Never No Lament
    Enya - Watermark
    Garth Brooks - Ropin' The Wind
    Hatebreed - Perseverance
    Hopesfall - Magnetic North
    Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual
    John Barry - Dances With Wolves Soundtrack
    John Mayer - Continuum
    Johnny Cash - At Folsom
    Journey - Escape
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    Megadeth - Rust in Peace
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Michael Jackson - Thriller
    Mozart - Requiem
    Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death
    Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
    Puccini - La boh
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I lsten to almost everything with the exception of country.....

Tool
    A perfect circle
    Metallica
    Megadeath
    Slayer
    Sepultura
    Slipknot
    Mudvayne
    Tom Petty
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zepplin
    Cream
    Ice T
    Ice Cube
    Dr Dre
    ACDC
    Motley Crue
    Mushroomhead
    Queensryche

And pretty much anything else thats heavy and fast and iam sure i left a ton more i left off.
  • jlzimmerman:
    I have eccentric tastes, me thinks. Just some of what *I* consider classic:

bro love me some Dream Theater. Put on Scenes or Octavarium and just chill with a cigar, good times. Still haven't picked up the new album is it any good?
  • Peter_Lindgren:
    Huge metal and classic rock fan here. A general idea Pink Floyd The Beatles Rush Ted Nugent Opeth Cannibal Corpse Death Amon Amarth Obituary Entombed Judas Priest Metallica The list could go much longer...
    Yes it could!!! Except Rush...
  • tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    nickgonzo:
    jlzimmerman:

bro love me some Dream Theater. Put on Scenes or Octavarium and just chill with a cigar, good times. Still haven't picked up the new album is it any good?
    Octavarium is where it is AT! Such a good song! I havent heard the new album as of yet, but I heard its a let down, explaining why I didnt rush out and "purchase" it.
  • nickgonzo:
    jlzimmerman:

I haven't picked up Black Clouds.... yet, but I've heard it's one if their best efforts in years.
  • rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    Wow, I am impressed with a lot of your selections, ones I probably had thought a handful of people knew about.

I saw Mushroomhead, Gogol Bordello to name a few!

I too have a W I D E variety of tastes depending on my mood, season, time of day, what I'm eating, whatt I'm smoking and who's with me... hehe.

I am a seventies child so my favorites are usually along the lines of:

Led Zeppelin
    Eric Clapton
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Ted Nugent
    Queen
    Heart
    Eagles
    Yes
    Rush
    James Gang
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

From other avenues, I was a big industrial music fan. (A good friend of mine ran his own music store and label). I also like a dab of everything from Reggae to Country to Opera to Metal to Jazz to Pop to World to Punk to Rap.

Here's a few fav's in no particular order:
    Peter Gabriel
    Kate Bush
    Nine Inch Nails
    Tool
    Bob Marley
    Aerosmith
    Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Jimi Hendrix
    Genesis
    Papa Roach
    AC/DC
    Robin Trower
    Frank Zappa
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Einstürzende Neubauten
    Mindless Self Indulgence
    The Beatles
    My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
    Deep Forest
    Enigma
    David Allen Coe
    Jethro Tull
    Foreignor
    Ozric Tentacles
    Judas Priest
    Black Sabbath
    Hector Zazou
    Zucchero

Ooops almost forgot THE WHO!
    I am going to see Creed on Saturday. My wife won me some free tickets from the radio. My brother-in-law is coming up for the concert. We are going to the B&M to smoke some and then off to the show.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    rad1964:
    Wow, I am impressed with a lot of your selections, ones I probably had thought a handful of people knew about.

I saw Mushroomhead, Gogol Bordello to name a few!

I too have a W I D E variety of tastes depending on my mood, season, time of day, what I'm eating, whatt I'm smoking and who's with me... hehe.

I am a seventies child so my favorites are usually along the lines of:

Led Zeppelin
    Eric Clapton
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Ted Nugent
    Queen
    Heart
    Eagles
    Yes
    Rush
    James Gang
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

From other avenues, I was a big industrial music fan. (A good friend of mine ran his own music store and label). I also like a dab of everything from Reggae to Country to Opera to Metal to Jazz to Pop to World to Punk to Rap.

Here's a few fav's in no particular order:
    Peter Gabriel
    Kate Bush
    Nine Inch Nails
    Tool
    Bob Marley
    Aerosmith
    Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Jimi Hendrix
    Genesis
    Papa Roach
    AC/DC
    Robin Trower
    Frank Zappa
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Einstürzende Neubauten
    Mindless Self Indulgence
    The Beatles
    My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
    Deep Forest
    Enigma
    David Allen Coe
    Jethro Tull
    Foreignor
    Ozric Tentacles
    Judas Priest
    Black Sabbath
    Hector Zazou
    Zucchero

Ooops almost forgot THE WHO!
    I like your style. Gabriel, Rush, ELP, Genesis, Foreigner. All great stuff.
    If there are any JAZZ fans out here I have some Jazz online. Just shoot me a PM with your title Jazz

I have a 600 GB collection.

jsnake:
    I am going to see Creed on Saturday. My wife won me some free tickets from the radio. My brother-in-law is coming up for the concert. We are going to the B&M to smoke some and then off to the show.
    Nice Creed rocks.

I just found out that Staind is playing with them. Man this is gonna be sweet!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Björk, Imogen Heap, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer, Queen, Sevendust, Further Seems Forever, Mos Def Shad Kansas Mostly metal, non ghetto rap, trip-hop, and jazz.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    rad1964:
    If there are any JAZZ fans out here I have some Jazz online. Just shoot me a PM with your title Jazz

All legal right? LOL
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Well, being a southern boy, I love my country and southern rock, but really like a ton of stuff, such as:
    Rock
    3 Doors Down
    AC/DC
    Another Black Day
    Audioslave
    Black Label Society
    Black Stone Cherry
    Chevelle
    Clapton
    Crossfade
    Dark New Day
    Disturbed
    Dry Cell
    Finger Eleven
    Guns N Roses
    In Flames
    Killswitch Engage
    Linkin Park
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Metallica
    Mudvayne
    Papa Roach
    Puddle of Mudd
    Ra
    Rage Against the Machine
    Saliva
    Seether
    Shinedown
    Staind
    Stereoside
    StoneSour
    Tantric
    Taproot
    Theory of a Deadman
    Trapt
    sorry, tired of formating

Country... Garth Brooks, David Lee Murphy, Dierks Bentley, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Trent Tomlinson, Jason Aldean, Kyote Wylde, Josh Turner, Pat Greene, Alan Jackson, Alabama, John Michael Montgomery, etc
    A little more eccentric or unknown: Trivium, Atreyu, Dimmu Borgir, Soilwork, Fear Factory, Hatebreed, Soil, Downstait, Rains, Dethlok...
    stephen_hannibal:
    rad1964:

All legal right? LOL
    But of course. AFAIK. Most I have ripped from cd, some I got in trades and others are from D E L E T E D
    [hears three sharp knocks on his door]
    [door busts open! FREEZE M#%^*F*(*&%$!]
    rad1964's account has been deleted.
    Move along people nothing to see here.

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    rad1964:
    stephen_hannibal:
    rad1964:

All legal right? LOL
    But of course. AFAIK. Most I have ripped from cd, some I got in trades and others are from D E L E T E D

Poor guy, we hardly knew ye....Who wants his stuff? I call his humi!!!
    Garen B:
    rad1964:
    stephen_hannibal:
    rad1964:

All legal right? LOL

Poor guy, we hardly knew ye....Who wants his stuff? I call his humi!!!
    I call the bacon.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    So I was listening to my Ipod today while I had a cigar and I realized something troubling. I only have a 2GB Ipod, and I only put 124 on it. Not a problem, most people would think, you can just add more. And this was my thought when I loaded it up before my plane ride out of the US heading for Afghanistan. Last time I deployed I had a personal lap top computer and could do anyhting I wanted with my music collection. This time though, my lap top was stolen before I left. I figured that I could just add music from my friends. All the guys I know with computers are at different bases now, and will be for the rest of the time I am here. So I am stuck, as I have been for the last three months, with only 124 songs on my Ipod. I go to the gym to work out twice a day, and like to listen to music before I go to bed. Sometimes I even listen to music when I smoke, as I did today. It has been only 24 hours since I realized that I wont be able to change my music and I have already listened to every song on my Ipod. These next 4 months might have just become a bit longer because I have an addiction to new music. FML :-(
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I pretty much only listen to folk/viking/pirate metal these days. Here are the bands I listen to on a regular basis:
    Folkearth
    Falkenbach
    Korpiklaani
    Tyr
    Ensifearum
    Burzum
    Verbal Deception
    Svartsot
    Amon Amarth
    Elvenking
    Dies Ire
    Alestorm
    Eluveitie

I do listen to other bands/genres, but just not on a regular basis.