Home Pipes

Briar Poker Pipe

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
Getting a handmade custom briar poker pipe next week. Excited to see the workmanship and smoking performance. Can you tell the difference in smoking performance from a briar vs a cheap pipe that you might find at the gas station?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    In short....yes. I have a huge range of pipes and smoke them all and I can really notice a difference between the run of the mill cheap-o's and my artisans.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Of course you can! Better briar (things like tighter grain, etc.) costs more. You may not see a major difference during the break in period but by the time you need to ream it you should. I hope you enjoy it!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My nice pipes smoke perfectly. Each seems to have its own smoking characteristics. My big bowl smokes easy and twice as long as my others. Corncobs are okay for work or yard work.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Are these easier to keep clean?
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Damn this briar is a workhorse. Im getting flavors and smoke with much more intensity. Def need to slooow down.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I would not say that they are easier to keep clean but it seems that they can go longer between cleanings than your average $50 pipe. That could just be me but good briar seems to be able to go a little longer IMO.