Home Non Cigar Related

Best Concert you've been to?

Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
So what is the best concert y'all have been to?

For me personally it was seeing Paul McCartney. I don't think I'd be able to die happily if I had never gone to see him in concert. He sounded the same way he did on records. Boston is coming to my city in June. Hopefully, I'll get to see them too.

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    For me Michael Jackson tour in Bangkok, Thailand. If I remember correct then it was in 1994. Indeed, he is the Kind of Pop music forever.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Who 1989 Tommy Revival Tour... First half was the complete performance of the classic rock opera. Second half was a best of the Who set. Saw the show in Pittsburgh at Three Rivers Stadium. It was amazing!

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I've seen some good shows. Several DMB and Dead shows. Saw Cheap Trick make a surprise appearance while Goo Goo Dolls were opening for Bush just after "Name" was released. Saw Bob Dylan and Paul Simon on the same stage together doing duets. Heck, I've even seen the Oak Ridge Boys, Neil Diamond, Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits and Willie Nelson. But the best, most enjoyable and surprising was when I went to see Jack Johnson early in his career open for Ben Harper. Wasn't there for Ben and wasn't terribly familiar with his music. Was not a big venue, but Ben Harper played his @$$ off! I would definitely go see him again!
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1976 Jan and Dean concert, followed a few monts later by a Beach Boys Concert.
    I was young and no accounting for taste I guess. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    You are still young buddy. The age is your body not your soul. You are a wonderful person Tony.
    0patience:
    1976 Jan and Dean concert, followed a few monts later by a Beach Boys Concert.
    I was young and no accounting for taste I guess. LOL!

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Summer Sanitarium Tour with Metallica July 2000 at Candlestick Park was the best, but I could pick three or four others that are right up there including Metallica at Golden Gate Park a couple years ago 20 ft from the stage with 100k of my closest friends.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Rob Halford of Judas Priest in a small ballroom with about 50 others in 2001 Iron Butterfly in 1988
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I have three that I think were the best, in no particular order. Local talent: A band called Amadan that started at my college, the original line up was always a ton of fun to watch at the bar I worked at (new line up...meh). The second was Dave Mathews in '96 at the Colosseum in Portland with friends from my dorm. The final was three years ago, finally got to see BB King live. Even though BB didn't play as much as I hoped, he is almost 90 after all, he is still an amazing musician.
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.Metallica
    2.Tool
    3.Story of the Year
    4.Foo Fighters
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynyrd Skynryrd 1977- Anaheim Stadium
    Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps 1978- Fabulous Forum
    Led Zeppelin 1977- Fabulous Forum
    Deep Purple 1983- Long Beach arena
    Grateful Dead 1980- Orange County Fairgrounds
    Queen 1978- Fabulous Forum.........
    Went to sooooo many concerts..
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say which was the best. So many to choose from. Metallica was my first concert in 1992. They blew the roof off, as they did when I saw them again 19 years later.
    I saw Steve Earle in 1996. That was awesome. I was 10 ft from him when he played a small local bar.
    I've seen Tom Petty a few times and he still rocks. And seems to have fun while doing it.
    Or the George Strait/Eric Church concert I saw in January.
    Or Ozzy.
    Or the _ times I've seen Jimmy Buffett. So much fun and so much alcohol.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    I saw Ray Charles at the 1988 NY state fair, I was completely amazed!!
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    The Who 1989 Tommy Revival Tour... First half was the complete performance of the classic rock opera. Second half was a best of the Who set. Saw the show in Pittsburgh at Three Rivers Stadium. It was amazing!

I worked security on that tour and being on the front center of the stage in Philly for two shows were my favorite concerts. Also had the pleasure of a private playing by DMB right before they made it nationally. Monsters of Rock (VH, Metallica, Scorpions, Dokken and Kingdom Come)was also a good one.
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    flowbee:
    I saw Ray Charles at the 1988 NY state fair, I was completely amazed!!
    I saw Ray Charles at the Front Row near Cleveland 20 years ago and was extremely disappointed. So much so we left halfway though his set. Very disappointing, as his opener was great and we couldn't wait to see Ray. After a very long delay between acts he finally came out with one of those Pepsi Uh Huh girls on each arm and then just stumbled through some songs before we left.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolling Stones. Have seen them 8-10 times over their various tours. All great shows
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alice Cooper.

and as much as i hate to admit it... KISS.

Tool was pretty fantastic as well.

and though i am not a huge fan Rush put on a good show too. hard to imagine that much noise is only from three people.

even though they are decidedly more "prog-rock" than i usually go for YES was a good show also.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Aand as much as i hate to admit it... KISS.
    I don't get it. What's wrong with KISS?
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Ultra Music Festival - 2005

About 10 friends and I spent the entire week of Winter Music Conference in Miami going jet skiing, going to countless parties, and capped the week off at Ultra Music Festival. We were staying at the Hilton Gardens at the airport 3 doors down from the band Yellow Card. Really cool fellows. We met up with them every night about 3-4ish in the morning at the pool and shared stories of what crazy crap we did that day. That was a great week.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I don't know if I have a "best"... certainly some memorable shows. I saw U2 play in a small club in the early 80s, one of the last shows they did before becoming a stadium band. I saw Richard Thompson play solo outdoors as a thunder storm approached from the distance... very dramatic and added a bit of tension to a pretty intense performance. The Who show in Cincinnati (where people died in a stampede at the gate) is something I'll never forget. Psychedelic Furs played an awesome show during their TalkTalkTalk tour that was raw and edgy and Killing Joke put on a show that still haunts me. I saw Cheap Trick open for Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow... it was an odd combo... Cheap Trick released the Buddakan live album later that year, Rainbow was THE LOUDEST show I've ever attended. In the last decade I've seen good shows by Gillian Welch, Steve Earle, The Submarines, Tegan & Sara and John Cale. Being an opening act for the Stray Cats was the biggest crowd I ever played for.
    JGKAMIN:
    Puff_Dougie:

I worked security on that tour.
    Dude! Was that YOU that threw me out when I jumped onstage and did the windmill behind Pete Townsend?? Good times...
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woodstock
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about it. 2 other concerts (not really concerts, which is why I didn't count them) come to mind.
    Pretty sure it was 1976 (might have been 77, too long ago to recall) The Runaways in a little dive venue in Portland.
    Again, I was young, they were female and could rock. Pretty much covers it. LOL!

The other "concert", was about 5 years ago at the county fair. Joe Nichols on a stage outdoors in a meadow.
    Smoking cigars, sitting with the family and friends. When we started up the knoll of the meadow, it took me 45 minutes to get to where the wife and kids were, because I had to stop and talk to everyone I knew. The concert wasn't the memorable thing, the experience of the community was.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I love this thread, made me really think about all the great shows I've seen of all different genres. Both Matisyahu and Mutemath put on some of the most incredible shows too.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Amon Amarth
    Goatwhore
    Skeleton Witch
    and The Absence
    Amon Amarth always puts on the absolute best shows. I've seen them 3 times.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Hard to say best, but most pleasantly surprised was Elton John. My girlfriend dragged me kicking and screaming in the 80's. I did not want to go one bit, but I was shocked at what a great performer he is and that I knew 90% of his songs.

I have seen him 4-5 times since and had a blast each time.

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Big and Rich
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toss up between The Charlie Daniels Band (1984ish) and The Eagles-Hell Freezes Over tour. Hank Williams Jr. put on a great show too.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many moons ago when I first started my police career, I worked in Albany, NY and the city owned the Palace Theater. The police used to provide security on an off duty basis.

The Palace with a former vaudville house with 3,000 seats. It was small for a rock venue, but it had perfect acoustics and many of the top bands liked playing there. For some of the top name groups that used to play to 50,000 or so, they would play the Palace on the way up or the way down.

For several years, I got to work the stage door, so I got to meet most of the groups and their entourages. Over the years I got to see, in no particular order, Billy Joel, Cheap Trick, BeeGees, Linda Rondstat when she was with the Stone Ponies, KISS, REO Speedwagon, Sha Na Na, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, and too many others to mention. One of the best "concerts" was five shows done by Blue Oyster Cult. Because the Palace was so small, they played five nights in a row and sold out all five shows. They were absolutely fantastic!

I also got to see a lot of great stage shows like, Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell, Beatlemania, Hair and many others.

Of course, now my hearing is shot, it got a tad loud as the stage door was about 30 feet from the side of the stage.

YankeeMan:
    Many moons ago when I first started my police career, I worked in Albany, NY and the city owned the Palace Theater. The police used to provide security on an off duty basis.

The Palace with a former vaudville house with 3,000 seats. It was small for a rock venue, but it had perfect acoustics and many of the top bands liked playing there. For some of the top name groups that used to play to 50,000 or so, they would play the Palace on the way up or the way down.

For several years, I got to work the stage door, so I got to meet most of the groups and their entourages. Over the years I got to see, in no particular order, Billy Joel, Cheap Trick, BeeGees, Linda Rondstat when she was with the Stone Ponies, KISS, REO Speedwagon, Sha Na Na, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, and too many others to mention. One of the best "concerts" was five shows done by Blue Oyster Cult. Because the Palace was so small, they played five nights in a row and sold out all five shows. They were absolutely fantastic!

I also got to see a lot of great stage shows like, Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell, Beatlemania, Hair and many others.

Of course, now my hearing is shot, it got a tad loud as the stage door was about 30 feet from the side of the stage.

What a cool experience! Did Blue Oyster Cult use enough cowbell?
    That is an awesome story. Right up there with best job ever. My buddy has been a bartender at the Filmore in SF for 14-15 years and he has the same problem with his hearing now. I would have loved to have seen BOC.