Home Cigar 101

I rounded up the usual suspects...

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
...and none of them did it!

What might cause a cigar to go out repeatedly?

We had some friends visit over the weekend. We hadn't seen them in about a year, since their baby shower. The new(ish) dad and i go outside to smoke, but my cigar keeps going out.

We were talking about my poor-man's humidors, but how they work great-Ziploc containers. I noticed my digital hygro was reading a little high, but not that high...71%...and it's recently calibrated, so I'm feeling pretty confident about the reading. It sat for about 20 minutes outside before lighting. It was chilly, but not cold, and the wind picked-up about 15 minutes after we started to blow and gust some. The cigar I chose for myself was box pressed-an AB Prensado. Draw was easy pre-light and throughout-a little resistance, but not much. No evidence of a plug.

Before the halfway mark, this thing went out 4 times and needed re-lit. I wasn't smoking particularly slow.

Do you think that this is simply a matter of humidification? Construction? Combination of factors? What else could cause it.

Bummed me out, because I really liked the cigar. Yum! Yum! If I get another that I can smoke all the way, I'll review it for sure. (I got this one for free back in November, thanks, ccom! Finding me another yummy smoke that costs more than I can regularly budget for.)

Have I left off any of the usual suspects from the list? Humidity? Box Press? Other construction issues? Wind or weather? Draw speed? Tell me what you think caused this...
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Presnado is a maddy right? Even as low as 71% can kill a nice oily maddy. I tried smoking a camacho triple mad that was a liiiitle too moist... Constant relights, even though draw remained loose. Some cigars are a LOT more sensitive to a little bump in rh

I bet even a quick dry box or out of the humi time could have saved you a little.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AB Prensado huh? Yum indeed, but I've had the same trouble with them going out too. I think this was back when I kept my stash at 70%. The last AB Prensado I had wasn't that long ago and my humis are all 65ish now and It burned OK.

Gray? Did you mean 71% was too high of a humi temp grab from and try smoking straight out of the humi? I'm a bit confused on Maddy storage guidelines. I've heard that 70 was great for maddy storage alone but then dry boxing was needed before smoking or some additional storage time in a lower RH% humidor was needed before smoking.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, thats exactly it, Bob. In my case with the camacho, it wasnt overly humidified really, but for that much maduro in one cigar it was too wet to keep lit. Ive had similar problems with AB tempus may or may not be related. In short, it needed dry boxing.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. I kind of figured it might be the humidity, but usually, I notice a problem with the draw when I have one overhumidified. It was a great, rich, candy bar of a stick what I did get to try.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I think 71 rh is a problem but windy days means small ash and that doesn't help the burn at all!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Maye there was a small hole in the cigar somewhere like a space in the wrapper and binder or just a tiny hole that may have been poked in the cigar? If that's the case when you take a draw you'll suck in air through that hole and not through the foot of the cigar and therefore it'll go out. It happened to me once... I had to keep my finger over the hole to keep it lit.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try "dry-boxing" the next one, see what happens.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    A draw issue with an AB cigar? You don't say... They are like the Gurkha of draw issues with the Prensado. Had this issue so many times with that line I lost faith man. Went through two boxes of Black Market, had to pitch way to many.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    A draw issue with an AB cigar? You don't say... They are like the Gurkha of draw issues with the Prensado. Had this issue so many times with that line I lost faith man. Went through two boxes of Black Market, had to pitch way to many.
    Hmmm. I hadn't seen this mentioned; then again, I didn't look up a lot of reviews. I knew the cigar had some high ratings, but I did not seek out the reviews to avoid hype-bias when I tried it. I disliked the Black Market so much that I won't smoke more than the two I've tried. I did like the Prensado's flavors, though. I'll try it again, but if this continues as a problem with the line, well...

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draw issues huh? Bummer I haven't had one yet but I got two of the large figuardo's resting. Was waiting on the cold weather to be a or so I could enjoy it outside. I'll be sure and dry box it before I smoke it.