Home General Discussion

am i the only one...?

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
Am I the only one who thinks that Padron is over rated?

and further more, why is it that people who "only smoke Cubans" will occasionally smoke a Padron and its the only thing NC they like? i mean seriously, the brand doesnt taste Cuban in any way shape or form.

i dont feel that it is even the most refined or interesting Nicaraguan cigar company out there.

i just dont understand the strange obsession with the brand.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Yes....you are the only one. From the thousand line to FR, all of their cigars are excellent. I am not big on the natural stuff in the anny and FR, but i just had a 40th natural for review and it was spectacular. It all comes own to the finish, even though they may be one dimensional at times. Most Nica companies have terrible finish with their tobaccos. Padron does not, that's why. Most NC I toss less then an inch in these days.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Kuzi, you may not be the only one... but, I personally think Fish's post is spot on otherwise!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Am I the only one who thinks that Padron is over rated?

and further more, why is it that people who "only smoke Cubans" will occasionally smoke a Padron and its the only thing NC they like? i mean seriously, the brand doesnt taste Cuban in any way shape or form.

i dont feel that it is even the most refined or interesting Nicaraguan cigar company out there.

i just dont understand the strange obsession with the brand.
    nope Kuzi your not alone. I don't touch pardon. Had 1 one time and tossed it at the 3/4 mark. Was not impressed or interested afterwords.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    For me well I'm a padron fanboy!! I find that they age well and have a flavor profile that is really what I tend too look for. I feel they are mostly priced right and really haven't had a bad one in my years of smoking. For cc's I feel like they are good and much better then the nc's sister brands! I do enjoy many different cigars but I always feel safe with padron!! I guess it's my comfort smoke...
    Money can't buy taste
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Still think its a great cigar. Price point....ehhhhh
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you. But I had a Padron Family 45 and it was fantastic. Overpriced, yes.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are not the only one. The only cigars I have ever tossed out without finishing have all been Padron. To me it is the flavor of Rosie O'Donnel's sweaty panties after she stubbles through a 5K and rubbed them around on a cat's a$$ and then cleaned about 100 cigarette smoker's ashtrays. I felt alone in this until today. Everyone I know loves them. My brother in law's favorite. I have even had guys give me aged and rare ones and I have hated every single one. Now I am not hating on them at all. All I am saying is they just aren't for me. Solid company and they look delicious. I tried. I wanted to love them.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    You are not the only one. The only cigars I have ever tossed out without finishing have all been Padron. To me it is the flavor of Rosie O'Donnel's sweaty panties after she stubbles through a 5K and rubbed them around on a cat's a$$ and then cleaned about 100 cigarette smoker's ashtrays. I felt alone in this until today. Everyone I know loves them. My brother in law's favorite. I have even had guys give me aged and rare ones and I have hated every single one. Now I am not hating on them at all. All I am saying is they just aren't for me. Solid company and they look delicious. I tried. I wanted to love them.

WOW. You had to go there? Rosie's panties???? I am a Padron fan. By no means the best cigars I have ever tried in my humble opinion, but a very good and consistent cigar for my taste. Some of the anniversary editions I really enjoyed, and I have not tried any of the LE or HTF versions. I think the price point is a little high, but I do enjoy them.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna buy a 26 and dissect it
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    You're not the only one, Kuzi. Don't get me wrong. I love Padron and all Padron cigars and have never been disappointed by any of their stuff. However, considering the hype around the brand, Padron is overrated. There's many cigars for the same price point or lower that's of the same or better quality.

• FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Next time you want to off load them send me a PM for my addy. I'll gladly take them "nasty Rosie panties" and suck on them all day long!!!!!

Don't have a lot of experience other then one 1926 Maduro and a few regular Padron's but loved it and would love to try any and all of the others I could get my hands on. I'm only a big noob with the cc's but Joe has hooked me up with a nice variety and I watch Catfish's show and am learning the CC world as much as I can, so I don't apply to the people you are in reference to but I have loved the few Padron's my cheap a$$ has had
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I like them but really they can get one dimensional. I prefer the smaller rings and shorter sticks with them. I typically don't like maduro wrappers but there are exceptions and occasionally a Pardon maduro works just fine from the normal naturals I prefer. They are not an every day stick, however.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    I'm gonna slap you.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Padron is one of those cigars that taste better with rest and when you get into the 1926 Series and 64 they are pretty hard to beat. Our tastes tend to differ from person to person and what's great for one is crap to another. Good thing that there are so many brands of cigars out there to taste...when I started this hobby in 1964 there wasn't as much to choose from...Dutch Masters or Phillies and maybe some cigars from the mall that weren't machine made.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Padron makes excellent cigars but overpriced, as well as Davidoff, Arturo Fuente and many other top brands. However, the differences are Padron stick with the core line and do not release so many special releases like Davidoff, AF, Pepin and many other brands. Lately I stop buying Davidoff, Avo and other Henke’s cigars with knowing via a company insider that it is all about money, marketing and increase sales. They all taste more or less the same. I feel like Padron at least do not come up with special releases in every year and maintains quality. I never had any issue with regular line, 1926, Family Reserve and 1964. What I don’t like about Padron is- none of them are 100% Nicaraguan puro but they do not admit it. However, at least they do not fool people with frequent special, LE blends like many others.

It is not a secret that I am a huge CC fan but I also smoke others not only Padron. Padron indeed delivers unique Nicaraguan flavors. In my opinion, Joya de Nicaragua cigars are flat except the Cuarto Cinco. I love Cuarto Cinco so much that I bought 12 boxes and believe it one of the top ten all time Nicaragua cigar (again rolled in Nicaragua but not a 100% Nicaraguan puro). I know many CC smokers who smoke other NC as well. CC smokers like Padron because of its core line, quality and consistency but again they also smoke Arturo Fuente, Pepin and others. I don’t know why you said that CC smokers occasionally smoke Padron only. Many CC smokers stick with CC because of the unique flavors which we can only find in CC. However, Nicaraguan cigar also offers very unique flavor which is not present in CC(specially the Ometepe tobacco). Lately, I am more into custom made cigars which allows me to enjoy the unique aged Nicaraguan tobaccos. After CC and I like the flavors and aroma of Nicaragua. Dominican tobaccos do not attract me anymore but again it is the shift of my personal taste.

I disagree with your comment on Padron not being the most refined or interesting Nicaraguan cigar company. It might not be the “most” refined but it is definitely the top three along with Pepin and AJ. The fame of Padron has lot to do with strong marketing but it does not change the fact that the company makes good cigar which offers quality and consistency.

I don’t know what you mean by “strange obsession”. Perhaps “loyal customer” would be the appropriate term in this case. At the end taste is subjective but at the same time- the truth is there are good and bad cigars in the market. It’s all come down to the personal taste and willingness to pay the price.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    The only pardon that I really liked was the 85th maduro.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    In my opinion, Joya de Nicaragua cigars are flat except the Cuarto Cinco.
    Great post overall. But, do you think the Dark Antano is flat? I really liked that one but haven't tried the Cuarto Cinco yet. As to Padron. I've loved each one I've had so far. The 1964 is definitely a top 3 for me. Though the price definitely steers me away from buying any myself yet, I know I certainly want some around when I get the $ and space.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    I like them but really they can get one dimensional. I prefer the smaller rings and shorter sticks with them. I typically don't like maduro wrappers but there are exceptions and occasionally a Pardon maduro works just fine from the normal naturals I prefer. They are not an every day stick, however.
    +1 right here. My feelings exactly.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Wait, this is not a joke?!Best cigar I ever had was a Padron. To me, they are the pinnacle of consistency and construction. But hey, I also realize that some guy out there swears by Gurkha...so to each his own.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Wait, this is not a joke?!Best cigar I ever had was a Padron. To me, they are the pinnacle of consistency and construction. But hey, I also realize that some guy out there swears by Gurkha...so to each his own.
    Virtue FT.....wait, what? Padron FTW?
    MOW is affordable, well constructed and consistent.Padron is out of my price range, well constructed and consistent.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    They're in the "okay" category for me. While I do like the flavors I don't buy them that much because they're a little overpriced imo and I can always find something I like just as much for less money or something I like better for the same price.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    some very interesting stuff in this thread.

i guess ill get to this in order
    catfishbluezz:
    Yes....you are the only one. From the thousand line to FR, all of their cigars are excellent. I am not big on the natural stuff in the anny and FR, but i just had a 40th natural for review and it was spectacular.
    this is pretty much what i was expecting from just about everyone here. it seems like every time i tell someone that im not a Padron fan they look at me like i have lobsters climbing out of my ears.
    catfishbluezz:
    It all comes own to the finish, even though they may be one dimensional at times. Most Nica companies have terrible finish with their tobaccos. Padron does not, that's why. Most NC I toss less then an inch in these days.
    interesting take. i have always thought that the Padron finish was just a standard way to long and strong Nicaraguan finish. heck, i would venture to say this was the worst part of every Padron i have ever had.

though i do agree that most Nicaraguans do have a less than perfect finish. i have been very burned out on alot of Nicaraguans as of late.

something smooth and light from the dominican and ill be happy. much better finish.

thedjfish@comcast.net:
    Had 1 one time and tossed it at the 3/4 mark. Was not impressed or interested afterwords.
    i gave them a bit more of a shot than that. a hand full of 26s, 64s, and more than a few of the thousands... just never impressed. though i have a 64 in my humidor from 2011 that i will fire up soon and pay extra attention to the finish. who knows, maybe this will be the one where i see what everyone is raving about.
    jsnake:
    i agree on the ashtray part... never have, and never wnat to come anywhere near rosies panties.

agree about the solid company thing. i have been to the factory. great production. great process. great tobacco theory. the blending just isnt my style at all.

danielzreyes:
    I know why thats funny.
    wwhwang:
    You're not the only one, Kuzi. Don't get me wrong. I love Padron and all Padron cigars and have never been disappointed by any of their stuff. However, considering the hype around the brand, Padron is overrated. There's many cigars for the same price point or lower that's of the same or better quality.

that i get. and in fact, thats how i feel about Davidoff. love the brand but i do feel they are over priced. a few things that Rip said kinda hit on that.
    rzaman:
    . Lately I stop buying Davidoff, Avo and other Henke’s cigars with knowing via a company insider that it is all about money, marketing and increase sales. They all taste more or less the same. I feel like Padron at least do not come up with special releases in every year and maintains quality.
    yeah... i do agree that Davidoff is over priced and over rated. The blending profile is for me though. they are a "sometimes treat"
    I almost never buy Davidoff LEs. only the annual Avo LE. never blown away by those. like the regular lines better.
    rzaman:
    What I don’t like about Padron is- none of them are 100% Nicaraguan puro but they do not admit it.
    wow... learn something every day.
    however, after all the sticks in cigars videos from Padron dissections, this shocks me a little less.
    all the people Obsessed with the cigar wouldnt care if they came out and said it though. same as with the video: "as long as it smokes good... "

im sure to some degree that Padron is doing the same crap that davidoff is doing, inflating prices to look like an ultra premium while withholding info and cutting corners on quality. at some point it is a business, and we all know that some are better than others in the honesty department.

rzaman:
    In my opinion, Joya de Nicaragua cigars are flat except the Cuarto Cinco.
    JdN is one of my favorite brands and though i also agree that they can be a bit flat at times they also dont carry they same price point as Padron. not even close.
    i feel that JdN is in the right price point where as Padron can be over priced on the 64s and 26s.

rzaman:
    I don’t know what you mean by “strange obsession”. Perhaps “loyal customer” would be the appropriate term in this case
    no, i meant strange obsession
    without fail, whenever i mention padron to the fanboys their eyes light up like a teenage girl when you mention Justin Bieber. if i mention i had a burn issue they try to blame it on me. if i mention that its not my style of blending they have often told me that i have no palate. its amazing what people do to defend Padron when it fact it is exactly as you said it:
    rzaman:
    At the end taste is subjective but at the same time- the truth is there are good and bad cigars in the market. It’s all come down to the personal taste and willingness to pay the price.

Rain:
    i will say that i have no problems with consistency. until the sticks video i didnt know that they were in there. it worries me now but i have not smoked a Padron since then.
    im really speaking more of the blending style. Gurkha has serious construction and consistency issues. the comparison isnt quite there.
    kuzi16:
    if i mention i had a burn issue they try to blame it on me.
    This is called "getting webmosted"
    kuzi16:
    Gurkha has serious construction and consistency issues. the comparison isnt quite there.
    For you and half the forum, Gurkha does. That's an opinion. I'm 100% certain that people out there have construction and consistency issues with Padron, Davidoff, whatever. I just smoked a Goldie that would not burn right at all. After, what....2? 3? 30? Some point I can claim they have construction issues. Food for thought! I see what you mean about "Style" and "construction" being apples and oranges, though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Never even heard of someone finding a nail in a padron or Davidoff. Just sayin...
    Maybe.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    To chime in on what Rip said about them not being 100% Nicaraguan Puro, it's somewhat rumored that the wrapper is San Andres but Padron has never disclosed this. One can tell with the flavor though, it's very San Andres in taste and in the retrohale.

I find the construction, draw, and performance to be really good on every Padron I've smoked. With that said, I expect that for the cost because I expect that out of every higher end Fuente, Tat, DPG, LFD/LG, Ashton stick. I've never had a bum Padron. Although they aren't my absolute favorite, I respect the business model. No real gimmicks, just a good lineup of really good tasting and performing sticks. The 26 80th and 45yr are some of my favs.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Hey, everyone's taste is subjective. I love Padrons, but heck that doesn't mean you will too. I have never had an AF that I've liked, but most people love them. Different strokes. Kinda like being a mustang or camaro guy one just doesn't understand the other.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    Hey, everyone's taste is subjective. I love Padrons, but heck that doesn't mean you will too. I have never had an AF that I've liked, but most people love them. Different strokes. Kinda like being a mustang or camaro guy one just doesn't understand the other.
    You've never had a Fuente you liked?!?!?!?!!? Tell us more.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    It is not a rumor, all Padron Maduros are Mexican San Andres. Most of the Naturals are from Ecuador. San Andres has a distinctive sweetness like no other. However, as you said I also respect Padron's business model for sticking with the core line. But I expect a change after Orlando Padron no longer in the industry. Sometime we cannot or should not discuss detail in public-:)
    dennisking:
    To chime in on what Rip said about them not being 100% Nicaraguan Puro, it's somewhat rumored that the wrapper is San Andres but Padron has never disclosed this. One can tell with the flavor though, it's very San Andres in taste and in the retrohale.

I find the construction, draw, and performance to be really good on every Padron I've smoked. With that said, I expect that for the cost because I expect that out of every higher end Fuente, Tat, DPG, LFD/LG, Ashton stick. I've never had a bum Padron. Although they aren't my absolute favorite, I respect the business model. No real gimmicks, just a good lineup of really good tasting and performing sticks. The 26 80th and 45yr are some of my favs.