Home Cigar 101

Using the cedar sleeve to light a cigar?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
I tossed this up at the Socal herf and we all had the same thoughts - don't do it. I'm curious if anyone has tried it here.

First you take a cigar with a cedar sleeve, like an Anejo. Then you keep the sleeve on but slide it half off towards the foot. Then you light the cedar and use that to light your cigar.

I don't know the reasoning for this but a friend of mine did it that way and while it worked, I think I'll stick to a lighter. Just curious if anyone has seen or done this before.

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had thoughts of cutting the sleeves into strips and using as spills although they might be too thin, not sure. I had not thought about lighting the sleeve ON the cigar, I don't think I would try it myself although now I'm curious!
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I do it with any cigar that comes with one.. get a perfect light almost every time. Slide it off about half inch, light the cedar and puff away. The flame on the ceder will burn out when it hits the cigar its self.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Yes, cutting into thinner strips would be the way to go. Ever wonder why the cedar spills are so thin? Try lighting a whole cedar sleeve on fire at once and see what happens...

Wider surface area with more fuel equates to a larger flame. Lighting with the sleeve on will cause singing of the wrapper. If you want to light it right, do it slow.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a youtube of some guy demonstrating this trick. I'll stick with my slow toast method. Why risk it? I see too much potential for scorching some nice tobacco into something bitter. And that would be a shame.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Never done it that way, but I use them all the time to light, same with the cedar inserts from boxes. I make my own cedar spills. Just tear them into long thin strips, then use two holding them together and it works perfect.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Some things are just too easy to answer...this is one of them. NO...you dont slide the cedar sleeve down the cigar and light it...otherwise why not just light firecrackers and such with a 1/2 inch fuse? Cigars being lit takes some time and it's not a circus experiment...if you leave the sleeve on while its being lit you are going to cause something to go wrong I can guarantee it.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched the video on YouTube of the guy demonstrating this method. Being the curious guy that I am, I tried it with the next cigar I smoked that had a cedar sleeve. It worked just like it did in the video. A little flare up of flame, but it stopped as soon as it got to the foot of the cigar, which was lit perfectly. The rest of the cedar sleeve was easy to remove.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I do it whenever a cigar comes with the cedar
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I've tried it twice out of curiosity. The first time, I pulled it down too far, and a flaming sheet of cedar went flying across my back yard. Thankfully it had just rained.

The second time worked out okay, but I'm still glad I did it on a cheap cigar in case it messed up. I wouldn't be trying this on anything from Fuente if I left the cedar on anyway (or if I ever actually bought anything Fuente).
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    I've tried it twice out of curiosity. The first time, I pulled it down too far, and a flaming sheet of cedar went flying across my back yard.
    Lol!! I have a 5V A I may try this with... Seems like a cool "parlor trick" kind of thing.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Martel:
    I've tried it twice out of curiosity. The first time, I pulled it down too far, and a flaming sheet of cedar went flying across my back yard. Thankfully it had just rained.

The second time worked out okay, but I'm still glad I did it on a cheap cigar in case it messed up. I wouldn't be trying this on anything from Fuente if I left the cedar on anyway (or if I ever actually bought anything Fuente).
    Talk about a Kodak moment...would have loved to have seen that!
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still remember the photo of the guy (blutattoo post ?) smoking a cigar with the cedar on it. And after the mold problem on the most expensive cigars I own, there are no ceder wrapped cigars in my possession (Dxxm shame because they were a gift/bomb from one of nicest guys on here (among many)). I do however save them for future use in any non-cedar containers that may be needed for storage.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to try it after reading the above, but I have to say that I did not have the same kind of luck with it that some of y'all had. I think I'll just stick to my single-flame torch and the slow toast approach.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I still remember the photo of the guy (blutattoo post ?) smoking a cigar with the cedar on it. And after the mold problem on the most expensive cigars I own, there are no ceder wrapped cigars in my possession (Dxxm shame because they were a gift/bomb from one of nicest guys on here (among many)). I do however save them for future use in any non-cedar containers that may be needed for storage.
    who this guy??photo 0E19DA00-F84F-4F66-9672-FC58B0078F7D.jpg
    Money can't buy taste
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jd50ae:
    who this guy??
    Yea that be him. Sorry for the missed gratuitous and shameless ash kissing.
    jd50ae:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jd50ae:
    who this guy??
    Yea that be him. Sorry for the missed gratuitous and shameless ash kissing.
    hahahaaa all good as long as you enjoyed it!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jd50ae:
    Lolol!! I love that photo... hmmm very woody flavor here
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jd50ae:
    Lolol!! I love that photo... hmmm very woody flavor here
    Is it possible that he was using the sleeve to light the cigar and that's when they took his picture? Probably not but after reading about using the sleeve to light 'em up I was wondering.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Lee, not sure if you were serious, bu is it Young Jeezy? Never heard of him, but chrome believes it is him. Anyway, found a remarkably similar pic of him here:
    http://celebsnetworth.net/young-jeezy-net-worth/ *bottom of the page
    Lmao it is...just looked and well the tats match up
    Money can't buy taste
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    I'm curious on what that would taste like.... I'd enjoy seeing a review from someone smoking it "a mild taste of wood undertones" hahaha

In all seriousness though, who hasn't made rookie mistakes like that? I know I've made just as stupid (or stupider) mistakes! It does look like he learned from his mistakes and enjoys sharing like the rest of our community though:
    http://globalgrind.com/2013/08/13/young-jeezy-tequila-cigars-el-jefe-event-bloggers-photos/