Home Cigar 101

No cello but you want too protect your sticks?

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
I found the answer! Parchment paper! Works great with a computer label so you can date it. It protects and breathes so you don't have too worry...been using it for a little now with no bad effects and it is somewhat transparent so you still know what you have wrapped up
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Now that is a good idea...very simple and who woulda thought?
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Genius! Thanks for sharing.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    genius! i gotta do this!
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice. Most of my sticks are naked so I'll try this method in shipping.
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight. You guys are full of great ideas here.
  • That's awesome! I'll have to look into this for sticks like Padrons...I've always been curious about what to do with those sticks...So where can you buy this stuff? Does it come in different grades of thickness or anything like that?
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    Does the cellophane protect it from tobacco beetles? Is this a common problem or only in some areas/states?
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    chrislolds:
    Does the cellophane protect it from tobacco beetles? Is this a common problem or only in some areas/states?
    No. The eggs hatch after a specific temp..like 73F and up. They can wreck a cigar and humidor in no time. Inspect the cigars often and watch the temp. Oh and always inspect any new additions that may be hosts.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    ejasenovic:
    That's awesome! I'll have to look into this for sticks like Padrons...I've always been curious about what to do with those sticks...So where can you buy this stuff? Does it come in different grades of thickness or anything like that?
    the grocery store! It's for cooking
    Money can't buy taste
  • Oh right! Thanks! Does it need any kind of seal after you wrap it? Should it be totally wrapped or keep part of it out?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darktower007:
    chrislolds:
    No. The eggs hatch after a specific temp..like 73F and up. They can wreck a cigar and humidor in no time. Inspect the cigars often and watch the temp. Oh and always inspect any new additions that may be hosts.

Actually, the critical temp is 71 degrees. Above that temp the beetles can move around looking for a mate. The eggs come later. From the reading I've done on the subject I believe most (if not all) manufacturers take steps such as fumigation of warehouses, etc. to protect from beetles. It's still a good idea, though, to freeze your sticks for a couple days as you receive them.

And no, the cello is no protection from the little buggers.... :-/)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And on the original topic of this thread, I'm a tightwad. I usually save the cellos off of a few various sizes of sticks I've smoked and put them on any of the few naked ones I have. I don't usually buy that many sticks that don't have cellos (think ISOM) so it's no big hassle to cover them puppies up..... :-/)