Home Cigar 101

Infusing your own cigars. Sort of.

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
First let me be clear that I am not a big fan if infused cigars but I was interested in a comment about pickle infused cigars on another page. Has anyone seriously tried to infused a cigar? Is as simple as sticking a handful of mild cigars in a humi full of fresh roared coffee and letting them sit for a few months?
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Actually, yes. A few of the older BOTL on here tried this 3 or 4 years ago. Mostly with alcohol though, but this works for coffee as well. I'd suggest doing this in a plastic bag or another airtight container. Just not a humidor unless you're willing to scrub with vinegar and water, then re-season.

Basically, put in whatever cigars you want to infuse in the bag/container first after dry-boxing for a day or two. After that, put a saucer/bowl with whatever you want (try bourbon, cognac, whisky, or room temp coffee) for about a month or two (longer if you prefer a stronger flavor) in the bag/container. Don't add any humidiciation devices. Just sit back and let the sticks soak up the flavors through evaporation.

You could also try putting those liquids in a tiny cup of beads/gel. I wouldn't expect to use those beads for un-infused cigars later though.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne's got the right idea. I've read some posts about this on other forums and they've all followed a similar setup as to what he suggested above ^^^^.

The end results seem to vary quite a bit though....

Echambers:
    ...I was interested in a comment about pickle infused cigars on another page.
    mmm....pickle flavored cigar....
    bet that would go great with a nice deli-sandwich and some crispy potato chips :-)
    think it would have a candela wrapper??

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried it once with Whiskey and a Beauty. The thing swelled up so bad I'm surprised it didn't bust. Swelled up right around the band. I put it in a Tupperware dish with a shot glass of whiskey befor I went to the boat. By the time I got home it had gone from a 60 ring gage to a 62. I didn't get as much flavor as I was expecting. I might try it again though but maybe with a slower process. Say a day or two at a time then rest then do it again off and on for a month or two. I've had one other whiskey infused stick and really liked the sweetness it gave to it.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating. I think I'm going to try a couple of experiments tonight when I get home.
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    Echambers:
    Fascinating. I think I'm going to try a couple of experiments tonight when I get home.
    I see a future of BOTL's getting bombed with pickle infused cigars on april fools day..... thank god it's passed this year....
    chrislolds:
    Echambers:
    I see a future of BOTL's getting bombed with pickle infused cigars on april fools day..... thank god it's passed this year....
    OMFG. That is brilliant.
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    Echambers:
    chrislolds:
    Echambers:
    OMFG. That is brilliant.
    Everyone on the forum will hate me as "That newb that brought along the picklegar" hahahaa
    When Stan and I were hosting the Jigsaw games, one of the ideas was to infuse a cigar with soy sauce and have a victim smoke it to complete a challenge. Unfortunately, it would take months to prepare that.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an old coffee bag that I put a few cigars in to try the coffee thing. It didn't really work. Smelled good for a while, then a little bitter (maybe the coffee oils were going bad? I dunno, but the cigar smoked as if nothing had happened to it.

Maybe storing with whole beans for a while would work. I though that just residual oils from the bag would be enough.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you would use coffee do you have to worry about mold growing on the coffee after a while? I know I've found some old coffee cups that were growing things.
    Gray4lines:
    I had an old coffee bag that I put a few cigars in to try the coffee thing. It didn't really work. Smelled good for a while, then a little bitter (maybe the coffee oils were going bad? I dunno, but the cigar smoked as if nothing had happened to it.

Maybe storing with whole beans for a while would work. I though that just residual oils from the bag would be enough.
    You may have to brew the coffee and let it evaporate in the container with the cigar you're infusing.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Gray4lines:

You may have to brew the coffee and let it evaporate in the container with the cigar you're infusing.
    That may work... I would worry about mold like bert said though. I may experiment on a couple cheapies.

I am looking forward to the soysauce cigar, lol!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Gray4lines:

I saw somewhere once where a fellow just used fresh ground beans in a container and put his cigars right in the there all mingled together.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried using the ground grains used to make beer? Not sure hops would be such a good combination, but malted barley might work.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
    ejgorman:
    Has anyone tried using the ground grains used to make beer? Not sure hops would be such a good combination, but malted barley might work.
    Spent grains or "fresh" grains
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    ejgorman:
    Spent grains or "fresh" grains
    Hadn't given it much thought to be honest, but I suppose you'd have to steep whatever you intended to use.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    These exist....there's a company that makes "craft beer cigars."
    Do a search for "HOPZ Cigar" .... you can find more info/reviews/etc. about them.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *