Home Cigar 101

Questions on Setting up a Humidor.

Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
I was Planing on getting a humidor so i can save money on cigars by buying them in bulk. I am currently planning on buying a box of Perdomo 10th anniversary Champagne Churchill. I planed on getting this Humidor http://www.cubancrafters.com/cigar-humidor-sales-cuban-crafters-especial-maple-humidors-sale-for-50-cigars/
I was wondering what i need to do to start it up and how do i do up keep on it. Is it worth getting one of the gel beads or not? and is this a good starter humidor for someone that smokes cigars about once a month.

Thank you for your Help

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Welcome. 50 is too small. Gel beads (heartfelt) work fine, so do Boveda packs. A 50ct humi probably holds thirty cigars, minus the space your beads take up. I'd start with no smaller then a 250 count if you plan on getting serious about cigars.
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    I only plan on getting about 25 cigars to start and not get that much invested in cigars until i get a better job which will be a couple of years from now. i would rather get something small now and by bigger later. so if i was to get a jar gel beads and a 100 humidor would that fit 25-40 cigars plus the felt beads? i am pretty sure that a 250 would be way to much and too big for how much i smoke. and if its a 100 do i need to fill it up?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that the closer to full your humi is, the better it will be at regulating and keeping a stable RH. a 100ct humi with beads should hold 25-40 no problem, but it also depends on cigar size. Also, not sure which gel jar you are thinking of getting, but again I would recommend heartfelt beads or boveda packs.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beaker38:
    I only plan on getting about 25 cigars to start and not get that much invested in cigars until i get a better job which will be a couple of years from now. i would rather get something small now and by bigger later. so if i was to get a jar gel beads and a 100 humidor would that fit 25-40 cigars plus the felt beads? i am pretty sure that a 250 would be way to much and too big for how much i smoke. and if its a 100 do i need to fill it up?
    Best economical option is a 20 Qt cooler and some kitty litter. Under $30 and you can hold 100+ cigars at perfect RH. If you want to buy a wooden humidor to show them off, take a look at the Sprint Sale (top menu bar on this page under Featured). Like Rain mentioned, boveda packs are very easy.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Beaker38:
    I only plan on getting about 25 cigars to start and not get that much invested in cigars
    Famous first words brother! And welcome! I'm fairly new here myself. I started with a 100 count humidor thinking I'd never fill it. I now have a full 100 count and a 70qt cooler, with a 50 count humi on standby that I plan in using for my premiprems at some point. Rule #1 is buy bigger than you think you will need. Rule #2 is buy bigger than that. The generosity of others, too-good-to-pass-up sales and the devil's site will have you full in no time. Boveda's save on space and that's what I went with in my humidor. I have heartfelt beads in my cooler, but could have easily gone with kitty litter and tyvek envelopes for far less. If you want to start small, consider using Tupperware and Bovedas (aka tupperdor) until you research other options.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    Well i want a wooden humidor and if i need more room later i will probably go for a cooler. i looked up the Humi care jars both the Cigar.com one and the other one which one is the better buy for the $. I also picked out 3 humidors that i think i want to get. this one http://www.cubancrafters.com/bargain-humidors-clasico-rosa-rosewood-desktop-humidor-for-100-cigars/

Or This One http://www.cubancrafters.com/display-humidors-presidente-dos-glass-top-humidor-rosewood-for-100-cigars/

or this one
    http://www.cubancrafters.com/cuban-crafters-presidente-glass-top-humidors-display-humidor-for-100-cigars/

Which one do you think i should get $20 really isnt going to make or break me.

Thanks for all your help. I dont have any friends that are into Cigars that could help me.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Pm to ya Beaker
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Southport Large Humidor Mahogany - on sale now $69.95 - Right here on cigar.com (Sometimes Southport Large Humidor Mahogany is available on the Sprint Sale auction for even less. I've seen it go as low as $40) I have a Southport Large and it's the best value I have in a wood humidor. The cedar aroma is better than any of my other wood humidors. I tend to avoid glass top humidors. Even though they are pretty.

After you get your wooden humidor, Buy a quality digital hygrometer at the same time. The analog hygrometers that come with new humidors are mostly unreliable. Also, don't use the wet sponge wipe-down method to season it. Look up this thread to learn how to take it slow and allow the wood to absorb moisture slowly. http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/610297/ShowThread.aspx