Home Cigar 101

Stupid question about a La Gloria Cubana torch (Flint) lighter

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
Okay, this is going to sound so stupid, but I just got one of these lighters as part of a really great (4 lighters for $20 lighter deal) from a Site That Cannot Be Named Here. It looks like this:

Here's the question: On the bottom there's a flathead screw to turn the flame level up or down. But there's no "hole" to stick a butane straw into like almost all other lighters I have do. Instead, there's a tiny Philips head screw (no hole) with a little icon of a butane can next to it. Does this mean I have to remove the Phillips screw to get access to the butane filling holeamabob? Just asking because I don't have a Phllips head screwdriver that small. Not a big deal, since I'm probably not going to use this one that mutch, but I want to be a completist here. :)

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen one with the butane hole covered, but you can get a precision screwdriver set for $5-10
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I figured. Just wanted to confirm that if I take the screw off the whole thing is going to blow up ro fall apart. Naturally, it didn't come with directions.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    St dupont uses a screw that covers the fill port but not sure for you...your just gonna have too find out
    Money can't buy taste
    Thanks. I think it is a St. Dupont, at least that's what my Google searches seemed to indicate (although there was nothing there about filling the thing).
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I've got two of these and there are two adjustments on the bottom...the bottom left is for the butane refill and you just use your fingernail to lift up the adjustment and then unscrew it and remove to get the nozzle from the refill can...refill as per instruction and the bottom right is for the flame adjustment...counter clockwise is for more more flame. See photo image
    Thanks. Yours is different than mine (and better). Mine doesn't have the fingernail latch--just a Phillips head on the bottom.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    Thanks. I think it is a St. Dupont, at least that's what my Google searches seemed to indicate (although there was nothing there about filling the thing).
    just gonna say not a dupont since I can't see a company giving away a $500 lighter but yeah there should be a fill valve under the screw
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do use it and need a small screwdriver, glasses repair kit at most dollar stores. Thats what i use to disassemble lighters
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Lee.mcglynn:
    raisindot:
    just gonna say not a dupont since I can't see a company giving away a $500 lighter but yeah there should be a fill valve under the screw
    Got to agree with this... a St. Dupont will have a fill valve and you'll need an adapter to actually fill or recharge the lighter. It is a gas charged adapter specifically made for this type of lighter. What is out there now are the "copies" of this lighter that have the characteristic "PING" when you open the lighter and while both of mine are good copies...they aren't a St. Dupont. The copies usually cost in the $25 - $50 bracket and can be found with some brands that will give this away when you buy a box of cigars from them. They aren't going to give away a St. Dupont.
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    I've always wondered what is special about the dupont lighters? I finally broke down and bought an $80 lighter and thought that was insane, but I've seen some St. Duponts for as much as 800-900 even over 1k... Is it just really high quality and limited release collector thing or ?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chrislolds:
    I've always wondered what is special about the dupont lighters? I finally broke down and bought an $80 lighter and thought that was insane, but I've seen some St. Duponts for as much as 800-900 even over 1k... Is it just really high quality and limited release collector thing or ?
    I would think it's like jewelry. One necklace will go around your neck for $800 or you can get a string of Pooka shells to do the same thing for $10
    Thanks for your feedback. I did get the screw off, but the filler hole was apparently too small for my butane can because it sprayed all over the place. I'm going to give up on this one. It looks nice, but I don't like the lighting mechanism (it's like a roller), and it's heavy. The "ping" is nice however. I'll stick with the other three, which are your more traditional cheapie lighters.
  • ShowthymeShowthyme Posts: 1

So I bought this same lighter and after two days it broke. Butane was being expelled even when the lighter lid was shut. Then I realized the lighter lid was limp. It neither stayed open or shut and flopped around loosely. Does anyone know who the manufacturer is?

• 11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either return it to where you bought it for replacement or refund, or better yet, count your losses and throw it out.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Private message @VegasFrank . He has experience with this fix