Home General Discussion

Aging Cigars in your humidor

I don't know how you people do it. I read posts from people who say that they have a cigar in their humidor that is two or three years old and are waiting for the opportune moment to smoke it. I smoke 2 to three cigars a day and never have cigars in my humidor that are more than 3 months old. I am not rich and therefore have to make my purchases in regard to having enough sticks on hand to satisfy my addiction. I think I may have to give up smoking cigars for a few years in order to build up a substantial inventory of truly good cigars that have aged appropriately in order to truly enjoy the cigar mystique.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Shizz, MVW and The Bear.That's how.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I had posted that and forgot. It is soooo hard. But I have finally managed the "mindset" and buried a smaller humidor under towels and sheets so that my eyes never see it. I do however sometimes wonder what I put in it.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't pay retail and buy boxes of what you like. That's how.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    It actually snuck up on me. I started out like you, but only a couple sticks a week, but after some of the guys here bombed me and when I found what I liked then I could find deals and ta da! aging stash unintentionally exists. Lately I have buying a few small boxes here and there to deliberately age.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    Don't pay retail and buy boxes of what you like. That's how.
    This......there are plenty of deals to be had out there for budget smokers. Sprintsaleesque sites and auction sites.

From 200 you can come really close to getting 75 good cigars.and just start aging.
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    In a previous post you had mentioned that you loved the Padron 1926 but could not afford to smoke it everyday. Whenever you go and buy a box of cigars from Cigar.com for your daily habit pick up just a single Padron 1926. Write the current date on a piece of paper, and then write a future date of some importance like your birthday or anniversary or some other special occasion and wrap it around the cigar like a ring. Put it into a tupperware container with a Boveda and you'll have some incentive to save it for the special date, and being in the tupperware container you can have it out of sight out of mind from your normal humidor.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwikoff:
    I don't know how you people do it. I read posts from people who say that they have a cigar in their humidor that is two or three years old and are waiting for the opportune moment to smoke it. I smoke 2 to three cigars a day and never have cigars in my humidor that are more than 3 months old. I am not rich and therefore have to make my purchases in regard to having enough sticks on hand to satisfy my addiction. I think I may have to give up smoking cigars for a few years in order to build up a substantial inventory of truly good cigars that have aged appropriately in order to truly enjoy the cigar mystique.
    I know exactly how you feel. Just having a larger quantity on hand is how to do it, I guess. As my stock increases, it is easier to leave the better sticks alone. Look for the Deal of the Day under Promotions at the top of the page or the Sprint Sale.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwikoff:
    How many times do I have to tell you guys, cigar smoking is not an addiction, it's a hobby... an addicting hobby!

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    The advice of buying cigars by the box at a price point that isn't sticker....once you've found a cigar you really like then buy them by the box and then save about 5 of them for resting long term 1-4 years. Sometimes you can get better deals by buying them in 5 paks...wait for the sales to appear from Vendors who will give you a discount plus free shipping and sometimes you can find Vendors who will let you buy them by the 5 pak...buy 5 and get 2 of them free. There is a lot of variables in doing this....another good source are some of the auction sites but know your pricing before ever going that route. Over a year or two you'll have a nice assortment of cigars that you have rested.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Rather simple. Buy more than you smoke. Do that consistently every month for a year. Ta da! Also, getting involved with the games and such around here can help a bit.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    I buy aging cigars, and I buy smoking cigars.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I built up a small collection over a few years and most i picked up below msrp. Plus not smoking a lot helps my cigars age. I seem to smoke frequently for a few months then stop then start again. No real planning to it, it just happens. Buying boxes helps me to age stuff especially the pricey stuff. Sure I'll go through a box of V's or Americas, but since i smoke those a lot i buy more.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    The other BOTL have said everything I was going to say. I was gifted a Savoy and that became my aging humidor. I put my HTF and Uber - premium smokes in that and use my cooler for everyday smokes. I still put aging smokes in my herfidor when I leave for work but the majority of them return to the aging humi when I get home. The only two that won't be smoked at present will be 4 years old when I do light them up and they are resting until my son is 18. It's all about restraint.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    You may end up with some daily cigars that you smoke every day and others that may be for the weekend or special occasion. Buy 10 or so of a particular cigar you want to age, can get a good deal on 5-packs sometimes, put them away. Smoke your daily ones but leave the others in the bank. Smoke one in a month or so, then after a few months try another one. You will be surprised how quickly you have a stash of aging cigars.
  • Aland84Aland84 Posts: 60
    Will power I guess. I'm saving a special stick for a short time goal of mine. Plus there are a few others I'm just not going to look at for awhile. I guess buy more than usual. Keep your temptations in the bottom. I always have trouble when I want to smoke and all I have are my long timers hanging out.