Home Ratings & Reviews

Alec Bradley Prensado Torpedo

I purchased a box of these, based on the samplers I had received in previous purchases. I was impressed by the 96 rating from Cigar Afficianado and liked the taste, which I thought was comparable to the Padrons I had smoked. I was wrong. The first one out of the box was everything I expected, but since then, I have smoked 7 more Prensados, and everyone had serious construction issues. Severe canoeing, requiring relights to correct, and unraveling. I don't know how this cigar rate a 96 (ahead of the 95 rated Padron 1926 80th anniversary belicoso, which is my favorite) but I think there may have be some quid pro quo involved there. The Padrons may cost a little more, but they are well worth it. I have crossed out Prensado off my list of humidor inhabitants.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Nice review. I have a strange relationship with AB. Love their "cheaper" stuff (American Sun Grown, Nica Puro, Family Blend) but have problems with their "higher end" (Tempus, Prensado).
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a real bummer (people still say that.?) and I feel bad for you.

Bigshizza sent me 4 and told me they were unbranded seconds. The 2 I have smoked had no problems at all...and were very decent cigars. In fact on payday I am thinking about getting a bundle.

Can you send something like that back..?
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The ones I smoked prior to the CA cigar of the year were really good, but most of the ones I've smoked since then have had the same issues. I think the increase in demand led to some corner cutting trying to keep up. It's a shame because they were pretty good.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    The one I had tasted like potpourri. Didnt like it. Havnt had one since.
    One God, One Truth
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I cannot tell you how many bad prensados and black markets I have smoked. I got tired of it really. Emailed the company once, as I had multiple boxes of black market with issues, and plenty of gran toro prensado with issues. No response... Any company with customer service like that does not deserve my money. They went severely downhill after the COTY rating.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i personally love them. I rarely have any more issues with the prensados than i have with other box pressed cigars.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I cannot tell you how many bad prensados and black markets I have smoked. I got tired of it really. Emailed the company once, as I had multiple boxes of black market with issues, and plenty of gran toro prensado with issues. No response... Any company with customer service like that does not deserve my money. They went severely downhill after the COTY rating.

I think the Prensado is totally overrated, and the Family Blend and Black Market were among the most undistinguished stogies I ever polluted my system with. The only AB I ever liked was, surprising, the AB Connecticut, which is odd because I normally don't like CT wrappers.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I like the flavors from the Alec Bradley lines. However, I've had nothing but bad luck with all of them except the prensado. My humidors are always at 64 to 66 rh, but all the lines I've tried kept either tunneling or the cigars just kept going out every 20 seconds no matter how many times I relight, touch up, or draw. I even tried dry boxing the tempus for 3 days.

I only had a decent time with the prensado, I'm guessing, because I dry boxed it for 4 days before smoking.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it had good flavor, not COTY flavor but good. But it required several touch ups. A big let down since I had been letting it rest for six months.
  • kgrandekgrande Posts: 15
    I don't get the hype and ratings regarding AB cigars, Prensado, etc.... so many of them have burn issues. Soemone told me that the oils they add to the tobacco caue the uneven burning. Perhaps they should be dry boxed for a few days before smoking. Anyone try this method with the AB's?
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Definitely. I'd suggest try boxing for 2 to 4 days, depending on how dry it is where you live.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    for the record, if anyone wants to get rid of their prensados or any other AB stick let me know. I love em.....hell I have liked pretty much every AB stick i have tried other than the BM Filthy hooligan which tastes like dead hooker ass.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    for the record, if anyone wants to get rid of their prensados or any other AB stick let me know. I love em.....hell I have liked pretty much every AB stick i have tried other than the BM Filthy hooligan which tastes like dead hooker ass.
    Brian knows what dead hooker ass tastes like! Wow!

I liked the Prensado's flavor a lot. I'd be willing to try one again, but don't think I'd pay for it with the burn issues I had. But you can keep those Filthy Hooligans to yourself after Brian's tribute, there.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.