Home Ratings & Reviews

New vs Old?

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
I absolutely loved the old original Camacho and Padilla blends. It seems that Camacho has had everything rebanded and Padilla has scrapped all their original blends. Would anyone know if the Camacho blends have changed or if it was just the packaging. Also, are any of the new Padilla blends comparable to the old ones or not?

Comments

• pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    It was my understanding that the Camacho stuff has been reblended as well as rebranded. I think I remember hearing Christian Eiroa is no longer involved? You might want to fact check that. As for a lot of the Padilla stuff, I think it's now being blended and produced by Oliva as opposed to Pepin. Again you may want to fact check that. I love the old Camacho stuff myself, but haven't had many Padillas new or old. Though the old Padillas I have had I enjoyed as well. I've never had a Pepin cigar I didn't like.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I can't speak for Padilla, but I was a Camacho ****. I cannot warm up to the new sticks. Something about the look of the band cheapens the experience for me.

• Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    The only camacho blend that didn't change is the triple maduro. I cant comment on the padilla blends.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    I absolutely loved the old original Camacho and Padilla blends. It seems that Camacho has had everything rebanded and Padilla has scrapped all their original blends. Would anyone know if the Camacho blends have changed or if it was just the packaging. Also, are any of the new Padilla blends comparable to the old ones or not?
    every camacho blend has be redone save for the triple maduro. the Diploma has been blended to be more like the "original old diplomas" like they were when they first came out years ago and not what they had slowly evolved to.

padilla is now made and blended at different factories than before. they all seem to have less personality than they used to and i feel that there is less consistency and and less of the same style from bend to blend. the ones that are made by oliva taste like an oliva, the ones made by plasencia taste like a plasencia, etc.

pelirrojo:
    I think I remember hearing Christian Eiroa is no longer involved? You might want to fact check that
    close to five and a half years ago the Eiroa family sold off their cigar factory to the Oettinger Davidoff group, makers of Davidoff, Avo, Griffens, Cusano.
    Eiroa was there for a good chunk of transition but the only involvement that the Eiroa family has now is that they grow tobacco for Camacho at their farm in Honduras.

i do not know who the new blender is for this line of cigars. being that it is part of Davidoff i would not be surprised if Kelner had a hand but i do not think that he was the master blender, maybe a consultant. Camacho has been pretty quiet in press about info on the cigars.

I have a few of the new blends to try and review, however i have not had the time.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    The new connie isn't a bad stick, but lacks the zip that made the original something special. Had to make sure and pick up a box of the original before the disappeared. I have some of the new corojos that I need to try soon.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Is there a reason why the triple maddy didn't change?
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still eager to try the new Camacho blends. As for Padilla... I'm kind of disappointed to hear that. I'd still try them out, but I wonder why he ditched DPG and AJ for Oliva.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Is there a reason why the triple maddy didn't change?
    if I had to guess I would say two reasons... its good the way it is AND the tobacco takes too long to ferment correctly.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still eager to try the new Camacho blends. As for Padilla... I'm kind of disappointed to hear that. I'd still try them out, but I wonder why he ditched DPG and AJ for Oliva.
    The new Padilla is excellent. They are made by Oliva, and the 8/11 Miami series in El Titan de Bronze. The Miami is far superior to the last blend by far, and I loved that blend really. Across the board construction has improved dramatically with the Oliva made cigars as well. They are much better made IMO, even though they are a bit strong for my tastes.

He went with Oliva because of his experience with his own figurado made by them that scored high with CA, and the fact they produce the Ecuadorian Habano everyone and their brother uses/buys, and their success with the V.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    wwhwang:
    The new Padilla is excellent. They are made by Oliva, and the 8/11 Miami series in El Titan de Bronze. The Miami is far superior to the last blend by far, and I loved that blend really. Across the board construction has improved dramatically with the Oliva made cigars as well. They are much better made IMO, even though they are a bit strong for my tastes.

He went with Oliva because of his experience with his own figurado made by them that scored high with CA, and the fact they produce the Ecuadorian Habano everyone and their brother uses/buys, and their success with the V.
    Thanks for the input, Catfish. I'm looking forward to trying out the new stuff.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I just tried one of my Corojo Maduros tonight in the corona and.....meh. It's pretty bland, but I never tried any of the original maduros to give a good comparison I just know I'm crossing that one off my list of new Camachos to buy again.
    perkinke:
    I just tried one of my Corojo Maduros tonight in the corona and.....meh. It's pretty bland, but I never tried any of the original maduros to give a good comparison I just know I'm crossing that one off my list of new Camachos to buy again.
    the yellow one was ok, but only as a third cigar of the night really. Everyone digs the blackout and 3M.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    perkinke:
    the yellow one was ok, but only as a third cigar of the night really. Everyone digs the blackout and 3M.
    Got to mostly disagree with you here Catfish.
    I really like the yellow one a lot.
    Don’t let Chuck N read this next part, but the Blackout I did not like. Chuck sent me a couple Blackouts in a different size and I have not tired his yet but he swears it made a difference for him, so I will revisit the Blackout one day soon and maybe change my opinion.
    Like you said everyone likes the Trip Maddy. I have to add I have not smoked one with the new band yet, since I bombed them all out, they say it’s the same blend but I can’t comment on new blend same as old blend/band aspect of it.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    I never tried any of the original maduros to give a good comparison
    I know what to send you if we ever get into it.
  • kgrandekgrande Posts: 15
    I'm glad to hear good reviews on the Padilla Miami. I have been concerned about the new Padilla blending and marketing. A friend and I tried the Padilla Maduro Reserve and we both thought it had no flavor whatsoever. I have been a big fan of the oriiginal Miami, 1932, and Artemis lines. Perhaps I'll give the new 1932 & Miami lines a try.

The new Camacho Blackout tasted very metallic to me. Not a fan. I have enjoyed the original triple maduro and PE sticks in the past.
    kgrande:
    The new Camacho Blackout tasted very metallic to me. Not a fan. I have enjoyed the original triple maduro and PE sticks in the past.
    my local B&M refused to carry the Blackout because of how bad it was. the manager got a pre-release to test it out and he hated it. though i have not personally tried the blackout, Camacho is in some serious danger of falling off the map for me. i may only get the tripple maduro, but only because it has not changed.
  • kgrandekgrande Posts: 15
    Why have these companies thrown the baby out with the bath water? The had a core of fans, why alienate them? It seems as if someone with a marketing MBA sold the higher ups on a new scheme to increase sales. Now sales are definitely going down!

I also heard that Padilla was concerns that the internet had driven down prices too much and he wanted to rebrand for b&m. A repositioning. Higher profit margin? What good is higher profit margin if your sales are plummeting. Not to mention knocking internet sales for your problems.
    Easy... The core of fans is too small. Padilla wasn't doing himself any favors making bundle sticks and cheap cigars. Now his line is made with much better tobacco at a higher quality of construction. Camacho had lost so much shelf space while watching room 101 explode, they needed a makeover. Fact is, internet sales and hard core hobbyists don't pay the bills. B&m shelves provide longevity, and that's where the money is. I watched boxes of camacho sit at my local shop, still some left on blowout... New branding is selling like wildfire.