Home Cigar 101

Well I did a boveda test

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
The other day I pulled out a pretty old boveda pack from my "recharging" box...and by old I mean 3yrs. I placed it in a ziplock freezer bag for 24hrs and this is what I got.photo 0C4129C5-BE3A-4370-B6A2-6841FEC396D0.jpg
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't get anymore perfect than that!
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    That is old, back when they were still white. I love my Bovedas man, they are all I use. I keep about 30 of them rotating between my humidors, wine cooler, and the recharge tupperware. I've been rotating them like that for about a year and haven't had to replace one yet.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    That is old, back when they were still white. I love my Bovedas man, they are all I use. I keep about 30 of them rotating between my humidors, wine cooler, and the recharge tupperware. I've been rotating them like that for about a year and haven't had to replace one yet.
    i was doing the same, but i have 2 that are old that just won't recharge.....i guess i let them get too hard
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read on here a while back about recharging a Boveda pack, but it wasn't explained if you soak it in water or just in the tupperware container next to a dish of water. I have a few that are probably too dried out, but will be trying this in the future.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    I read on here a while back about recharging a Boveda pack, but it wasn't explained if you soak it in water or just in the tupperware container next to a dish of water. I have a few that are probably too dried out, but will be trying this in the future.
    i just put them around a bowl of water in a sealed container. I have had them completely dried out before and they do take extra time to get back but as shown they bounce back
    Money can't buy taste
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I have an old blue bunny ice cream container.... I just toss them in there and pour in some distilled water and allow them to marinate until full swollen packs.

Just keep your eyes peeled for mold.

Aj
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    ^^^^ What he said^^^^

If you don't want to eventually scrub off outside lettering than place in sealed container next to the distilled water. If they are really hard & crusty you may have to actually soak them to start the recharging process
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool Lee but, Boveda called and they want you to shut up about it. LOL

I've done it (recharged them) both ways. I've soaked them and that was really easy. But I was concerned that that way would somehow worsen the membrane over time. (Probably an unfounded concern but,...) So next time I tried it the other way inside one single container. Using bamboo skewers I rigged up a platform across the inside of a medium size cottage cheese container. I cut four bamboo skewers to fit across the middle of the container so that the bovedas would be supported above a one inch layer of distilled water at the bottom and also have clearance below the lid at the top. Then I put the lid on the cottage cheese container and give it a few days to a week and the bovedas absorb the water. They recharge slower but I like letting them recharge this way.
    Bob Luken:
    That's pretty cool Lee but, Boveda called and they want you to shut up about it. LOL

I've done it (recharged them) both ways. I've soaked them and that was really easy. But I was concerned that that way would somehow worsen the membrane over time. (Probably an unfounded concern but,...) So next time I tried it the other way inside one single container. Using bamboo skewers I rigged up a platform across the inside of a medium size cottage cheese container. I cut four bamboo skewers to fit across the middle of the container so that the bovedas would be supported above a one inch layer of distilled water at the bottom and also have clearance below the lid at the top. Then I put the lid on the cottage cheese container and give it a few days to a week and the bovedas absorb the water. They recharge slower but I like letting them recharge this way.
    yeah I'm with you on that! Submerging them seems iffy to me...but I do see a bunch of people do it...maybe I will have to try it and see what happens over time
    Money can't buy taste
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I have some that are going on 5+ years and they don't seem any worse than when new. You just can't read the outside of them. I have prolly done 80% dunk method & 20% indirect method. It all depends on how crunchy you let them get before recharging as to the method that works best.
    My gripe with recharging them, is there life seems a bit shortened by the process. Where i would see a normal brand new Boveda last two months or so, i only get maybe a month out of the recharged ones. Not that they dont work, just seems they get crunchy faster then normal.

it makes me wonder, is the pore size of the membrane wearing out and allowing moisture to escape faster? or is there a humectant added to the original Boveda water that controls the rate of dissapation that is lost in recharging? Hmm............

Aj
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I've got a bunch soaking now. Will report findings in a few days.
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    I drop mine in a pot of boillng distilled water. Cover the pot and simmer for a couple hours. They fill very quickly in boiling water. Usually 2 hours they are full.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Pulled mine out of the water, let the dry this morning on a paper towel. They are all fat as can be.
    Chuck N:
    I drop mine in a pot of boillng distilled water. Cover the pot and simmer for a couple hours. They fill very quickly in boiling water. Usually 2 hours they are full.
    Boiling Water eh? Sounds hardcore... but sterile and clean. I like It. How long have you been doing this Chuck?

Aj
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Probably the last 5 times Ive recharged. I used to put them in a container and put them over a heat registrar. The hotter the water the faster the recharge.
    thats all i neede to hear. Im on this band wagon now. I like the Sterile concept!

Aj
    Of course! By demanding swift compliance. How else would Chuck Norris recharge his bovedas?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took me forever to dig up this thread.....
    Lee.mcglynn:
    i just put them around a bowl of water in a sealed container. I have had them completely dried out before and they do take extra time to get back but as shown they bounce back
    did some rearranging of the humis and replaced some of my older boveda packs. Some were still a little "squishy" but some were pretty hard. Put about a dozen of them in a ziploc bag with a small bowl of distilled water (about 3 shots worth). Going to keep an eye on them the next week or two & refill the bowl as necessary. Hoping they bounce back but if not guess I'll just pick up some new ones.

Btw---about how long does this method take in your guys' experience?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    did some rearranging of the humis and replaced some of my older boveda packs. Some were still a little "squishy" but some were pretty hard. Put about a dozen of them in a ziploc bag with a small bowl of distilled water (about 3 shots worth). Going to keep an eye on them the next week or two & refill the bowl as necessary. Hoping they bounce back but if not guess I'll just pick up some new ones.

id suggest less packs and more water...they seem to bounce back faster that way...just saying
    Money can't buy taste
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jgibv:
    Lee.mcglynn:

id suggest less packs and more water...they seem to bounce back faster that way...just saying
    I'll give that a shot thanks lee. How much "less packs" would you suggest...... You talking like 1-2 packs/container or 4-5 packs.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My interest has been renewed in BOVEDA packs.

So, I have a question or two:
    1. How many packs for a MOW or Cinco Vegas size humidor?
    2. Assuming your humidor has been properly seasoned, how often do the packs need to be re-charged?
    3. And it sounds like, from what I have just read, that they last for years? Is that correct?

The treason I am asking is that, for some reason, all of my gel humidifiers, new or old, are in need of charging every other day. And that is getting old real fast.
    jd50ae:

2. Assuming your humidor has been properly seasoned, how often do the packs need to be re-charged?
    3. And it sounds like, from what I have just read, that they last for years? Is that correct?

The treason I am asking is that, for some reason, all of my gel humidifiers, new or old, are in need of charging every other day. And that is getting old real fast.
    I use 2 or 3 in my 5V and MOW humidors. I also use the black ice in the winter when room humidity is very low. Recharge when they start solidifying.
    I stuff as many packs as i can in the contaner and re-check once a week. works very very well.

But I am on the Chuck Norris Recharge program..... BOIL THEM SUCKERS!

Aj
    jd50ae:

i buy the bricks so always in rotation but in my normal coolers I have 5 65rh packs and two small containers of beads...this keeps them at 67rh and haven't changed it in a year
    Money can't buy taste
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a lot of work. I use a container like below. Cut a piece of wire mesh to fit, pour an inch of distilled water in and put the lid on. Packs are recharged and better than new in a couple days. Not sure why putting them over the water works better, but I have tried other ways and this works best and is super simple.

rsherman24:
    That is a lot of work. I use a container like below. Cut a piece of wire mesh to fit, pour an inch of distilled water in and put the lid on. Packs are recharged and better than new in a couple days. Not sure why putting them over the water works better, but I have tried other ways and this works best and is super simple.

That is a nice set up Sherm. For mine I use bamboo skewers to create a platform that would perform the same function as your wire mesh.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24 and Bob Luken....tried it and I like it.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Bob, do you date stamp everything? Hahaha

Good info here, I didn't know you could recharge them. I thought they were filled with a PG based solution and mixing that and distilled water was a big no-no. You guys are saying it's a distilled water based solution inside bovedas?
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
    This works even better than I thought it would. Started doing this months ago with the advice from you guys. Thanks.