Home Ratings & Reviews

Davidoff

bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are these cigars worth the price tag?

Comments

• perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Bwah ha! Funny timing on this, check out what mine did to me today in the "whatcha smokin tonight" thread. But actually I don't know, I've only had two types: the Year of the Snake, which I think was worth it, and the Nicaragua, which is pretty dang good, usually.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends. Before one of my major dental surgeries I had a Short Perfecto from one of the lines. It was all I could think about for the ~4 months after the surgery that I couldn't have a cigar. Not sure if that was a good thing or not, lol.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im going to do everything i can not to sound like a pretentious snob with this...

itis not worth it for new cigar smokers.
    people without developed palates dont get it in any way. they assume that since they are mild to medium in body they are "flavorless" in comparison to a lot of the big names out there that are producing the now trendy ultra-full huge ring gauge monsters being over hyped.

for those who do have developed palates and understand that mild does not equal flavorless and that you dont have to blow out ones palate for the next few days for a cigar to be good then they have potential to be worth it. Davidoff cigars tend to be balanced, refined, delicate, and smooth. they also have a very distinct blending style that is very love/hate. Kelner is a brilliant blender, but he is also human. he has a palate of his own, and he has a heavy hand in the flavor profile that he likes. if you do not like musk elements that usually appear in a kelner blended cigar, you will not like Davidoff cigars.

for most of us on this board, Davidoff is not an everyday cigar. it is a special occasion cigar. on special occasions, there are few cigars that i would rather be smoking than a Davidoff 2000 or a Davidoff Maduro.

in my book they are well worth it.

if you want to get an idea of what a Davidoff blend tastes like without the coin, check out the 3x3. the blending style is there.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hahahahaaaa I knew kuzi would chime in on this! And yes I agree with him as don't get them as a noob! But really I'm quite find of the 2000,Nicaraguan and the Colorado claro perfecto. As for some of the issues people have had I do find that they glue the bands on just like the opus! Way too much glue! But for a nice mild smoke and a very well constructed one davidoff never seems to fail. I've had a select few that weren't on to the qc I'd expect but compared to many companies it is far less then any other. The 3x3's are good affordable smokes that give you a little of what davidoff really will have in store for you.
    Money can't buy taste
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    bert873:
    Yes. I'm a big Davidoff fan. I've enjoyed every one that I have had and try to keep several on hand at all times.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the input guys. I hadn't planned on spending that kind of money on one but just became curious as I keep seeing them in the catalogs. I'll just wait til my palate becomes more refined and I'll try one of those 3x3 to get an idea if I'll like the blending.
    perkinke:
    Bwah ha! Funny timing on this, check out what mine did to me today in the "whatcha smokin tonight" thread. But actually I don't know, I've only had two types: the Year of the Snake, which I think was worth it, and the Nicaragua, which is pretty dang good, usually.
    That sucks. Sorry to see that happened to you on such a pricey cigar
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had one, sort of a small robo size. It was fantastic. I was expecting super mild, but while it was mild I felt like it was very flavorful and conplex. I was expecting avo like flavors and it was way toastier and richer. I was actually caught off guard by the fullness. Delicious.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bert873:
    yes
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    The Puro d'Oro absolutely is. The Nicaraguan I need to try again. The one I had tasted really young, I should have let it rest a little longer than I did. Those are the only two I can comment on.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Haven't smoked any of the actual Davidoffs yet (have the Nicaragua resting thanks to blutattoo) but if the Winston Churchill or any of the Avos is similar to any of the Davidoffs, then hell yes.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    The Puro d'Oro absolutely is. The Nicaraguan I need to try again. The one I had tasted really young, I should have let it rest a little longer than I did. Those are the only two I can comment on.
    I had the Oro on Tony's recommendation...amazing.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Davidoff rules... Just make sure and smoke it on a clean palate, with ice water really. Some of their blends are fuller these days, but the milder ones may take some getting used to if you are smoking full bodied stuff regularly. To me, I do not think relatively speaking they are worth the money by any means. I think you can find cigars just as good for a lot less. However, one thing I will say about Davidoff is they always deliver. I just cannot fathom spending the money on a 2000 when there are coronas just as good for a third the price from the island, and the boutique boom is pretty amazing right now.

For me, if i am in the mood, I know they will deliver for the price, just like a good Padron. I am comfortable spending the money on them accordingly if I feel in the mood. Otherwise, I will not invest my money in them on a large scale.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    When i started i didn't get davidoff. Now i do. For me i didn't have a developed pallet to enjoy them. Now i smoke them a lot.
    phobicsquirrel:
    When i started i didn't get davidoff. Now i do. For me i didn't have a developed pallet to enjoy them. Now i smoke them a lot.
    My palate is definitely not developed yet so cant justify spending the money
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    bert873:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Andrew, if you are curious to see how Kelner blends his cigars, perhaps try out some AVO or Zino. He has a very unique style that many either love or dislike. Or, just grab one of the Davidoff's that are closer to $10 than $20 and just give it a try. Nothing beats just diving in.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    bert873:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Andrew, if you are curious to see how Kelner blends his cigars, perhaps try out some AVO or Zino. He has a very unique style that many either love or dislike. Or, just grab one of the Davidoff's that are closer to $10 than $20 and just give it a try. Nothing beats just diving in.
    or as i said earler in the thread... try the 3x3. it has the distinct blending stye. fraction of the price.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Taste is subjective. Lately Davidoff is coming up with many new bands but I do not find them very different then other releases. Even three years ago Davidoff, Zino Crown series were really good. It doesn't attract me anymore. However, I still have a good stock of previous releases. Davidoff Royal Robusto is a unique cigar and I still love them. In a nutshell, it is overpriced and the recent releases are not worth of the price. They do have the impeccable draw and burn. Davidoff is not what it used to be and I smoked more or less everything from them. I will not buy a box of Davidoff except Royal Robusto, Davidoff Nicaragua and Zino Crown series.
    rzaman:
    Taste is subjective. Lately Davidoff is coming up with many new bands but I do not find them very different then other releases. Even three years ago Davidoff, Zino Crown series were really good. It doesn't attract me anymore. However, I still have a good stock of previous releases. Davidoff Royal Robusto is a unique cigar and I still love them. In a nutshell, it is overpriced and the recent releases are not worth of the price. They do have the impeccable draw and burn. Davidoff is not what it used to be and I smoked more or less everything from them. I will not buy a box of Davidoff except Royal Robusto, Davidoff Nicaragua and Zino Crown series.
    Thanks for the insight and I'll be checking out those 3x3 for sure
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Andrew, Davidoff has changed means its new Board of Director wants quick profit and no matter what want several so-called new blends. A good blend requires careful selection and time to develop. The market doesn't have new tobaccos but I am sick of Davidoff's hybrid jab. I compared the couple new blends with the old one and most of the new releases don't seem new blend to me. My brand loyalty is over with Davidoff. If I pay $30-35 on one stick then I want unique blend not new packaging. In that context( quality-value-price not to show my band to others) I will wait and pay Padron 50th Anniversary $30-35 not Davidoff.
    bert873:
    rzaman:
    Thanks for the insight and I'll be checking out those 3x3 for sure
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rip, isn't the Nicaragua a new blend? I have not had any of the stuff newer than that though. It does suck that they are moving that way though. Makes me hesitate to support them. Well there's always padron!