Home Pipes
Options

Stanwell Mojo

dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
Whats your guys Opinions on this bad boy? I think it looks just killer! But the Rubberizing? think it truly can be smoked from? I want it... but fight with the price tag that forces my mind to conjure up thoughts of smoking burning tires... What do you guys think?

Aj

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    They are a nice pipe and the rubber is a high quality vulcanized rubber, it keeps the pipe cool plus, they are very, very light. I haven't smoked one personally, but have a few associates that have and love them.
  • Options
    I really really like that almost "Tactical" look...Almost if it is parkarized like a rifle. I imagine if there was a badass Seal/Ranger/Recon/Chuck Norris Kinda guy out there that smoked a pipe while lopping taliban heads off id imagine this would be it.

Sean,
    Is the pipe actually completly rubber? I was thinking it was a rubber dipped Briar, Does the tobacco actually burn on this rubber or is there a liner?

Sorry for all the questions!

Aj
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I am not really fond of the idea of rubber on a briar. It sounds like they are using briar that would not be usable for smooth pipes and have found a cheaper way to use them instead of the traditional sandblast or rustic looks. I would seriously question if the rubber coating would allow the briar to breath like a traditional briar does and if the wood cannot open up like it should what would that do over time?? I use good but cheap briars for hunting, fishing, and general outdoor activities. You could pick up 3 or 4 at least for the same price and don't forget the cobs too. At $180, you could buy a fairly serious briar for the price IMO. Still there is something about the enjoyment of the look and feel that is important so if you like try it and report back to us on how it smokes after you have put it through the paces for a few years.
  • Options
    I had the same concerns.... seems like a gimmick if its indeed a dipped briar piece. But if this is a entirely cast piece of rubber, that might be a different story.

I suppose ive encountered such types of coatings and rubber that are exposed combustion in some form. mostly in piston and chamber coatings on engine parts. Those coatings are extremly durable under those crazy enviroments, so i imagine that a pipe could be made of such a material that handles much lower but direct temps. But is it safe for consumption?

I really like the idea of this being a neutral pipe. With a wipe out and a few cleaners this pipe should be easily clear of residue and ghost. This seems like a perfect blend test pipe. I could smoke and Aro in the morning and by night be on a Balkan and never skip a beat and only pack one piece. Interesting concept particularly if its so light. Like a biker or hikers dream.

But I do agree the price is something. Its an expensive gamble...

Aj
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    It is a quality briar and just coated in the rubber to give it some texture. It was a way for them to class it up.... They supposedly smoke nice, but it's tough to find a good review.