Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Legend Perfecto

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
The cigar smelled very baryard to me which didn't have me too excited but then again sometimes baryard has a nice peppery finish so I wasn't dissappointed either. The construction on this cigar IMO is poor. Fist the wrapper leaf had a few nicks that were clearly there when the cigar was rolled. Second it had incomplete caps on both ends of the cigar, not the way a perfecto should be rolled IMO. The cigar was open on both ends which urked me a little. It had burn issues but nothing more than what you'd expect from a perfecto. If I graded my cigars this would have scored VERY low on construction.

I started to try smoking without cutting it al all but it was too tight so I cut a little off and then about a third of the way in cut a little more off.

The first puff or two was very full bodied but then it quickly mellowed into nice medium body. The cigar was extremely simple especially for a perfecto it tasted of Almonds and that was it, no secondary flavors at all. It would occasionally pick up a peppery finish but was mostly just a short, dry finish. Although this cigar was overly simplistic especially for a perfecto there was something enjoyable and relaxing about it. It paired well with a nice glass of Elijiah Craig.

Final rating was a Hmmm, I probably won't buy one again but I wouldn't throw it out either.

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Sorry to hear it wasn't better, maddy. The Oliva O perfecto is a fine little smoke. Maybe give that one a try.

On the subject of construction, I think my tolerance for construction problems must be lower than yours. When I have enough trouble with a cigar that I would grade it "VERY low on construction," I don't think I would give it a "Hmmmm" on the RRS scale. Being able to keep itself burning well and evenly is kind of a minimum threshold for a cigar. The way I look at it, if it can't do that, is it even really a cigar?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Sorry to hear it wasn't better, maddy. The Oliva O perfecto is a fine little smoke. Maybe give that one a try.
    The Oliva Serie O perfecto is a dynamite stick ( not to be confused with a stick of dynamite, that one is hidden in my last pif), I enjoyed that little perfecto so much that I was a bit sad to see the tiny nub go into the butt bucket.
    Yeah, I smoked mine down as far as my fingers would stand the heat, too. Then ordered some more. :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    The cigar smelled very baryard to me which didn't have me too excited but then again sometimes baryard has a nice peppery finish so I wasn't dissappointed either. The construction on this cigar IMO is poor. Fist the wrapper leaf had a few nicks that were clearly there when the cigar was rolled. Second it had incomplete caps on both ends of the cigar, not the way a perfecto should be rolled IMO. The cigar was open on both ends which urked me a little. It had burn issues but nothing more than what you'd expect from a perfecto. If I graded my cigars this would have scored VERY low on construction.

I started to try smoking without cutting it al all but it was too tight so I cut a little off and then about a third of the way in cut a little more off.

The first puff or two was very full bodied but then it quickly mellowed into nice medium body. The cigar was extremely simple especially for a perfecto it tasted of Almonds and that was it, no secondary flavors at all. It would occasionally pick up a peppery finish but was mostly just a short, dry finish. Although this cigar was overly simplistic especially for a perfecto there was something enjoyable and relaxing about it. It paired well with a nice glass of Elijiah Craig.

Final rating was a Hmmm, I probably won't buy one again but I wouldn't throw it out either.
    i agree that the legend is less complex than the centurian but i still find the legend to be good and complex. As far as the construction goes.... i think the cap and foot are supposed to be open in the way you describe. ive never has a gurkha perfecto that wasnt constructed that way. i have had no problem with it ever. in fact the first centurian i had i didnt even have to cut it. i was ok with that. as far as a perfecto goes it burned ok. Im not sure i woulda deducted points for construction on that one.

barnyard: it may just be me but i have a good conotation with "barnyard." I grew up hunting. I love that smell because of it. another thought: many people say that most cubans have a barnyard unlit aroma. iduno... i dont feel that i have had a legend that is as this review states.
    i understand that every review is based on that cigar on that day, but ive never had a problem with this cigar.

on that note.... I do think it is over priced. this is one of the gurkhas i dont buy because of the price. its good, but not that good. ...this comming from a guy that has about 6 in the humi right now...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i think the cap and foot are supposed to be open in the way you describe. ive never has a gurkha perfecto that wasnt constructed that way.
    I have no doubt thats the way Gurkha does it I just don't like it, everything I've read and experienced says its not good for a cigar to be open on both ends. It allows air to flow through the cigar and can cause some drying out, even in a humidor.
    kuzi16:
    i have had no problem with it ever. in fact the first centurian i had i didnt even have to cut it. i was ok with that. as far as a perfecto goes it burned ok. Im not sure i woulda deducted points for construction on that one.
    I deducted points(well not really bc I don't keep a points system) bc IMHO the design of the cigar was improper, having the start caps on both end but not being capped on either. I just didn't like it, PURELY opinion.
    kuzi16:
    barnyard: it may just be me but i have a good conotation with "barnyard." I grew up hunting. I love that smell because of it. another thought: many people say that most cubans have a barnyard unlit aroma.
    Unlit barnyard is just fine and in my experience many cubans do have this but when that unlit barnyard aroma translates to a lit barnyard flavor is when I'm a little dissappointed. I don't not like barnyard and I don't think its a negative about the cigar, its just not my favorite. In my experience cigars that are very barnyard tasting they don't tend to have that spice that I enjoy.
    kuzi16:
    iduno... i dont feel that i have had a legend that is as this review states.
    i understand that every review is based on that cigar on that day, but ive never had a problem with this cigar.
    You gotta give me more than this! Whats been your experience with the legends, this was my first so far.
    kuzi16:
    on that note.... I do think it is over priced. this is one of the gurkhas i dont buy because of the price. its good, but not that good. ...this comming from a guy that has about 6 in the humi right now...
    God I sound like a hypocrit saying this BUT being that it is a perfecto I didn't find it too overpriced, but I won't go out and buy another. If I happen across one I might pick it up though, there was something very relaxing about this cigar.
    hmmmm... you saying a gurkha ISNT over priced, and me saying that it IS. whats next? the end of the world?
    as far as more on the legends that i have had... i found them to not be simple. the nut you mentioned was there and so were other flavors. thats all i got because i dont have one cataloged and i have not smoked one in over 9 months. Maybe its about time.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I completely expected my keyboard to burst into flames, when I got done saying that. I just expect to pay more for a perfecto and Im accepting of that. I just go no flavors other than the nut, guess it is time for you to smoke one ... the debate is on. You have a PM btw.
  • sackermasackerma Posts: 45
    i have a legend but not a perfecto and its pretty fresh so i'm waiting for it to mellow a little but i had one a long time ago, i think a rubusto or toro and loved it, but i also had one once that i put down half way cause it was just a dud... so they might be a little it and miss but as far as cigars go i still love me a gurkah..
    many will say gurkha is hit or miss.

ive only had hits.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    many will say gurkha is hit or miss.

ive only had hits.
    Same here, no bad Gurkhas for me yet.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Perhaps not hit or miss so much in terms of good or bad, but rather in terms of good or really good.... at least in my experience.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I just had a Legend Churchill over the weekend as a matter a fact... I'll give ya the barnyard, no denying that, but there was something about this cigar that really just captivated me and held my attention... I wish I could put my finger on it and explain exactly what it was, but overall it was a great 3 hour smoke! ;) That was my last churchill, but I do have 4 perfectos in the humi, hopefully they'll be just as enjoyable as this last one...
    The first Centurian I smoked had construction issues, but everything I've had since then has been solid (including 2 more Centurians). Nothing besides the Centurian has really impressed me, though (Titan, Beast, Beauty). I just got some Regents and . . . something else I can't remember. Once they've had time to rest, we'll see about those.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Nice review! I have a couple of these, and in fact I got my first one in a free sample bundle when I ordered a box of the gran reserve churchills. I've only had on bad one that I've smoked this far but I would say it's a very nice smoke, especially on a quiet evening.

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Urbi, eventually I'll be looking to pick up at least 5 packs of the Legend and the Royal Brigade. When I do, I'll let you know and send you one or two of each. Those have been my favorite Gurkhas so far. As far as I know, they're similar in blend to the Centurian, but the RB has the Cammie wrapper.
    The Royal Brigade. That's the other one I got some of. Thanks, Rob.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Never had a Royal Brigade. I have had Centurion, black dragon, beast, titan, legends, grand age, grand reserve, platinum reserve, warlord, reagents and park ave. There are a few more I want to try. I really want to try the shaggy. Anybody know where to get time? I have some Nepalese Warriors on the way. I also have a few Beautys on back order.
    i liked the nepalese warior. its my favorite cameroon.