Home Cigar 101

Removing the trim for the himidifier on a humidor lid

NOLAGTNOLAGT Posts: 20
Has anyone done this or can it be done easy with out messing up the wood finish? I have a Adirondack Humidor on the way and it has the rectangle lid mounted humidifier. I would like to mount the cedar 4 pack Boveda holder on the lid if there is room. I would need to remove that trim for the stock humidifier tho.... Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have removed the trim on a couple of mine. Mine came off easily. There was no glue, just small staples/nails. It left a couple of almost undetectable little holes. Just go slow and try using your fingers first. If that doesn't work, get something to pry it off. Put something up against the wood to pry against so you don't put dents in the lid.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just removed them on mine as well. Just a couple of brads holding them on. I used the angled edge of a wood chisel to pry it off easily. As mentioned, put something under where you are prying against to avoid damage.
  • NOLAGTNOLAGT Posts: 20
    Ahh cool i wasn't sure if they usually glue or nail them on...dont have mine yet. I am guessing the same can be said for the part that goes around the hygromater?
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    with mine (different humi) it wasn't mounted so i didn't have this problem. for the "hygromater" it really depends on where it is located on the outside or inside. mine just came with some adhesive. do you have a picture of this humi that we can see?
    I am not sure if it will fit even but ill measure once i get it. I want to put the 4 pack holder from boveda on the lid. imageimageimage
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'd just toss the boveda on the top rack and call it a day.
    Money can't buy taste
    Yeah, those boveda racks look nice but I just toss 'em (bovedas) in there with the cigars. That's another great thing about the bovedas. Doesn't matter if they touch the cigars :)
    Yea I know and I may do that still. Just like the clean look of them in that rack.
    Yes it will look great and, at least you won't be rummaging through your cigars AND your bovedas at the same time. I'm constantly setting my bovedas down outside of the humi, putting the humi back on the shelf, and after looking through several humis, asking myself, "where'd this boveda come from?". LOL

After re-reading this thread I looked for boveda racks to see what they go for and I could've sworn I saw one four pack model for about $25 that came with 4 boveda packs. I thought that wasn't a bad deal at all but, after surfing around I couldn't find it again. Oh well.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worse case scenerio you might have to pull off that hygrometer mount to. But no big loss there.