Home Non Cigar Related

Major rant.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just watched a clip about "The Hornets Nest" on FOX NEWS. Where else are you going to hear about it?

I have also been paying attention to the scandals (very small word) developing about OUR SOLDIERS treatment at the VA facilities. Cutting benefits for the MILITARY and paying for illegal immigrants college is so xxxxxxx wrong. I remember being spit on at san francisco airport when I came home in 1969.

I went from a life long democrat to a republican and did some major fund raising all the way up to the state level and met a lot of "big" grinning players. I became a total independent with no party affiliation. I remember clinton having to be pardoned by carter so he could run for president and the clintonistas loathing the MILITARY. Of course today they will all tell you how much they care about OUR PEOPLE IN UNIFORM. And in the next breath screw them. And I remember billary being shocked into silence when she found out her MILITARY Liaison had more degrees then her entire staff. The same MILITARY Liason that carried the Missing whitewater papers in his briefcase. Read "Dereliction of Duty".

Nothing has changed....they have all mastered talking out of both sides of their mouths and they are all conniving lying hypocrites.

I love my country, but I despise the cheats that make the rules.

Comments

• bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1
    My wife tells me to stop watching the news cause I rant to her every morning about some BS I here from our "leaders". I stand behind our flag and country but not our leaders
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I remember clinton having to be pardoned by carter so he could run for president
    Really? I'm no expert, but I don't think this happened. Since everything of this nature is recorded, could you tell me the date that Carter pardoned Clinton? Or how he knew that Clinton would run for President in the 90's? Or what on Earth Clinton was being pardoned for? Considering all the things Clinton was attacked over, I think being some felon that has received a pardon would have been mentioned once or twice while he was running for office.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    jd50ae:
    I remember clinton having to be pardoned by carter so he could run for president
    Really? I'm no expert, but I don't think this happened. Since everything of this nature is recorded, could you tell me the date that Carter pardoned Clinton? Or how he knew that Clinton would run for President in the 90's? Or what on Earth Clinton was being pardoned for? Considering all the things Clinton was attacked over, I think being some felon that has received a pardon would have been mentioned once or twice while he was running for office.

Some consider Clinton a little bit of a draft dodger apparently... pardoned as Carter blanket pardoned the people that avoided the Vietnam war. This of course is a matter of opinion rather than fact.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I just watched a clip about "The Hornets Nest" on FOX NEWS. Where else are you going to hear about it?
    Anywhere you want to? Lots of media outlets out there. You might have to use something other than the channel changer to find them though.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    SleevePlz:
    jd50ae:

Some consider Clinton a little bit of a draft dodger apparently... pardoned as Carter blanket pardoned the people that avoided the Vietnam war. This of course is a matter of opinion rather than fact.
    Actually, he was never pardoned, as he was never charged.
    While he wasn't technically a draft dodger, he did do everything he could to avoid being drafted.
    But he did follow proper channels in doing so, with help from his step father and family.

So technically, he never broke the law.

At the time that he ran for congress, there were those who tried to use the "draft dodging" against him, but since he was one of the few who followed proper channels in avoiding the draft, he wasn't technically a draft dodger.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prop people look excited to be here.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    pelirrojo:
    SleevePlz:
    jd50ae:

Actually, he was never pardoned, as he was never charged.
    While he wasn't technically a draft dodger, he did do everything he could to avoid being drafted.
    But he did follow proper channels in doing so, with help from his step father and family.

So technically, he never broke the law.

At the time that he ran for congress, there were those who tried to use the "draft dodging" against him, but since he was one of the few who followed proper channels in avoiding the draft, he wasn't technically a draft dodger.

I stand corrected. He moved in and out of 1-A and ROTC so many times, while protesting in the streets of England, it eventually kept him out of the draft dodger realm, and that is where he got his nick name "slick willy" and he avoided being labeled a criminal, and just missed carter's blanket amnesty. And actually I knew that and I don't know why I didn't say so.

"It was just a fluke," Clinton would say decades later, when first asked how he had made it through this period without serving in the military. But of course it was not a fluke. A fluke is a wholly accidental stroke of good luck. What happened to Clinton during that fateful year did not happen by accident. He fretted and planned every move, he got help from others when needed, he resorted to some deception or manipulation when necessary, and he was ultimately lucky." Maraniss.
    pelirrojo:
    jd50ae:
    Anywhere you want to? Lots of media outlets out there. You might have to use something other than the channel changer to find them though.

I watch cbs because my mother-in-law does. I watch good morning AMERICA because my wife does. I spend a minimum of 2 hours watching bbc and other "news" shows. msnbc is a joke and I don't waste my time. And I watch The 5 and 1 hour of FOX NEWS. I have been waiting for 4 years for other "news" shows to catch up and they finally are.
    SleevePlz:
    jd50ae:

My error addressed above.
    To everyone reading this.

Please except my apologies for the rant. I should know better, but the way our MILITARY is being treated is a major and emotional issue for me, and that is all it was supposed to be about.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Can't complain about people looking after the people that look after them.Wait, does that make sense?
    Rain:
    Can't complain about people looking after the people that look after them.Wait, does that make sense?

Huh.....
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:

Please except my apologies for the rant. I should know better, but the way our MILITARY is being treated is a major and emotional issue for me, and that is all it was supposed to be about.

If you had said that alone, you would have agreement all around. I, too, believe Shinseki must go and there needs to be a total bi-partisan investigation of the VA scandal, heads need to roll, and Obama must come out and claim overall responsibility for this happening on his watch. So far, he's managing this whole mess terribly...which, unfortunately, has become a hallmark of his second term.

However, mistreatment of wounded veterans is not a "Democrat" thing. The huge scandal of horrible conditions at Walter Reed Hospital happened on the watch of Dubya Bush.

Unfortunately, you derailed your own argument by rolling out all this tired conspiracy blather. If Clinton was a draft dodger, so also were *** Cheney, Mitt Romney, Karl Rove, Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich and Mitch O'Connell, all of whom took deferments of one kind of the other to avoid serving in Vietnam. Dubya Bush avoided Vietnam by having Daddy pull strings to get him into the Texas Air Force, where he didn't show up for duty for months at a time. And Carter certainly didn't pardon Clinton, since Clinton hadn't committed a crime that Carter, as president, could have pardoned.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    jd50ae:

If you had said that alone, you would have agreement all around. I, too, believe Shinseki must go and there needs to be a total bi-partisan investigation of the VA scandal, heads need to roll, and Obama must come out and claim overall responsibility for this happening on his watch. So far, he's managing this whole mess terribly...which, unfortunately, has become a hallmark of his second term.

However, mistreatment of wounded veterans is not a "Democrat" thing. The huge scandal of horrible conditions at Walter Reed Hospital happened on the watch of Dubya Bush.

Unfortunately, you derailed your own argument by rolling out all this tired conspiracy blather. If Clinton was a draft dodger, so also were *** Cheney, Mitt Romney, Karl Rove, Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich and Mitch O'Connell, all of whom took deferments of one kind of the other to avoid serving in Vietnam. Dubya Bush avoided Vietnam by having Daddy pull strings to get him into the Texas Air Force, where he didn't show up for duty for months at a time. And Carter certainly didn't pardon Clinton, since Clinton hadn't committed a crime that Carter, as president, could have pardoned.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry you were spit on in SF, During that time period SF was a mecca for the antiwar movement and other anti establishment movements as well. The world was a different place in the 60's, and many shunned their patriotic duties to serve and fight in Vietnam for various reasons. There were many soldiers, airman, marines, seaman who answered their countries call ,regardless of their support or non support for the "conflict". Let me personally say from the bottom of my heart thank you for your service and dedication to our country. The Nation will forever be endebted to your sacrifice. Whether they show it or not!
    Edit
    To the original point. Not surprised by any corruption, it is blind to party lines. Been going on since the beginning of Governments. When it comes to $$ nothing is sacred.
    raisindot:
    jd50ae:

Did you miss my retraction and correction? Where did I spare any party or individual? I became an independent for a reason.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the leopard. These are his spots.

Revolution, 1812, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korean, Viet Nam... War after war, more and bigger benefits were promised, more and bigger promises were broken. All parties and every administration have failed to fix this. The first director of the VA was sacked in two years and convicted of fraud. Can you imagine the present regime convicting anyone?

This is the leopard. These are his spots.

Next time you see a vet at a stoplight with a cardboard sign, hand him a five. That's prolly more effective than promising to fix the VA hospitals.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)